Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gift for academic supervisor

Options
  • 17-02-2016 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭

I did a masters recently by distance learning and am expecting to get a result/award any day now.

I never met my dissertation supervisor but he was really nice and helpful throughout the whole masters, he was also the programme co-ordinator of the distance learning course so I had contact with him throughout for admin type stuff as well as later for academic support.

Id like to send him a gift to say thanks for being so helpful.

As Ive never met him, I have no idea of his likes/dislikes etc!

Anyone any ideas? I was thinking of a nice pen perhaps or a set of cufflinks? Maybe engraved?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Personal note or maybe a nice hardbound copy of a book related to your field.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

It'd quite likely he's not allowed to accept gifts in his position, you really should check up on that first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Ruu wrote: »
    Personal note or maybe a nice hardbound copy of a book related to your field.

Oh yes, I'll definitely include a personal note. I'd never know what book in the field he didn't have though so that's why I'm leaning more to a pen.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

I think a personal note is worth a million times more than a pen/book/cufflinks - the man may never use anything other than a biro/live in teshirts/already have millions of books but he won't have a duplicate personal note.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

People rarely say no to a decent bottle of wine, or something they can consume. Pens & cufflinks are dust gatherers. Just keep it to a moderate value in case there are any thresholds on gift values.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

The personal note is a given.

Some good ideas here, didn't think of wine as I hate receiving it myself.

Yes, token value only, I was thinking 25 euro type range.

Advertisement