Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Los Angeles

Options
  • 17-02-2016 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭

Heading to Las Vegas with a 2 night stopover on the way back in LA. Any suggestions regarding this city? Where to stay, what to see etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

LA downtown is a kip. But it is only my opinion.

There are few nice areas around the city limits.

- Beverly Hills
    - Hollywood Hills
    - Malibu
    - Long Beach
    - Santa Monica
    - Mullholland Drive
    - Venice Beach

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Greg81 wrote: »
    LA downtown is a kip. But it is only my opinion.

Yes. Its like London. "Downtown los angeles" is like the City Of London. Its the administrative and financial centre. Nothing much there for tourists.

There's also Los Angeles County, that covers the extended sprawl of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

smurfjed wrote: »
    Heading to Las Vegas with a 2 night stopover on the way back in LA. Any suggestions regarding this city? Where to stay, what to see etc?

Definitely stay in Santa Monica. Its the area by the beach.

The city is a massive urban sprawl intersected by freeways, (it seemed like a good idea when they planned the place in the 1920's) it can make it daunting to get around in a car and almost impossible without one.

Santa Monica is the most walkable, pedestrian friendly area. Beside the beach, good hotels, places to eat, etc. Dont be tempted by cheaper hotels by the airport.

Two nights means one whole day only so i'd try a guided tour. Your hotel will have all the information. There's every different type available from limousines to mini buses on up.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭wearyexplorer

The Getty Museum is a real favourite of mine - and it's always free! I'd avoid downtown LA too.

Will you be hiring a car? Forget about bus transport for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

If you're in to TV take a studio tour. Warner Brothers in Burbank is my favourite, though Paramount is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭The Chieftain

OP - Are you a thrill seeker? If so, you will love DT LA! Home of the Crips and the Bloods! The West side - or parts of it - is MUCH safer, cooler, and with less smog, with more to do and see. Good places to stay are Santa Monica, Westwood, Beverly Hills, etc. Downtown, by contrast, is home to 50 blocks of skid row and "ethnic neighborhoods." By the way, Vegas is a pretty trashy and sleazy town too, completely dedicated to parting you from your $$ and morality.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

By the way, Vegas is a pretty trashy and sleazy town too, completely dedicated to parting you from your $$ and morality.

Sounds perfect :):)

Thanks for the info on LA.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I would second some of the ideas already posted. Don't bother with downtown LA, it's ok for a drive through but not worth spending time there.

Check out the likes of Long Beach, Huntington Beach, Venice Beach, Santa Monica. If you like theme parks, Six Flags Magic Mountain is only an hours drive north on the 5 freeway and is a really good theme park

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

How would you rate staying in Hollywood?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I've stayed in West Hollywood twice and found it great. You can actually walk to some nice restaurants ans shops around 3rd St and the Beverly Centre, although bear in mind you'll look ridiculous as no one walks anywhere!
    The Orlando was nice when I stayed there but was 5 years ago http://www.theorlando.com/.
    Also The Mondrian was pretty cool, but spendy! https://www.morganshotelgroup.com/mondrian/mondrian-los-angeles

• Advertisement
Advertisement