Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre broadband.

Options
  • 17-02-2016 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I live in an housing estate in arklow which is probably 10 years old.

I can't get fibre broadband in my house but houses 60m up the road can.

I want fibre in as I would be paying the same price but for a far better service. My speed is approx 14mbs.

I have rang eircom before and was told you can't get it and that's it.

I want to know why there seems to be a problem in getting fibre to my house and why nobody is arsed doing anything about it.

Some answers or some action would be great.

Yours hopefully

Jonnym

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

JonnyM wrote: »
    I live in an housing estate in arklow which is probably 10 years old.

I can't get fibre broadband in my house but houses 60m up the road can.

I want fibre in as I would be paying the same price but for a far better service. My speed is approx 14mbs.

I have rang eircom before and was told you can't get it and that's it.

I want to know why there seems to be a problem in getting fibre to my house and why nobody is arsed doing anything about it.

Some answers or some action would be great.

Yours hopefully

Jonnym
    Hi JonnyM

I'm sorry to hear eir can't offer you efibre. I'm sure this can be disappointing but ultimately eir do not offer official reasoning why a line can't hold efibre. There are a few reasons why a line cannot get it and the most common reason is due to it's distance to the efibre cabinet which incidentally only serves efibre to lines located at up to a 2Km distance.

If you would like to PM me your specific address and land line number I will happy to look in to this further for you however I cannot guarantee you that I can offer you a specific reason.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭JonnyM

eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi JonnyM

I'm sorry to hear eir can't offer you efibre. I'm sure this can be disappointing but ultimately eir do not offer official reasoning why a line can't hold efibre. There are a few reasons why a line cannot get it and the most common reason is due to it's distance to the efibre cabinet which incidentally only serves efibre to lines located at up to a 2Km distance.

If you would like to PM me your specific address and land line number I will happy to look in to this further for you however I cannot guarantee you that I can offer you a specific reason.

Thanks
    Al

Any luck with some answers???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

JonnyM wrote: »
    eir: Alan wrote: »
    Hi JonnyM

Thanks
    Al

Any luck with some answers???
    Hi JonnyM

I have looked in to this and I'm afraid we will be unable to offer you a specific reason on why you can't get eFibre. There are some cases where eir cannot offer a reason, unfortunately eFibre is not a guaranteed service from eir and there are no regulations in place where eir must provide efibre on request. However, I have forwarded your address to the field networks team with hopes that they can shed more light on this for us although at present I cannot offer you a time-frame on when they will get back to me. I'm genuinely sorry I can't offer you more information Jonny - I completely understand any disappointment or frustration as a result of this.

Thanks
    Al

I'm still waiting for Fibre in my Village, they got it 100 meters up the road the Last year but we're still waiting and after several night shifts when I come home I pass the man in the Eir van having his breakfast roll and tea in the Van and I really want to ask him "what the hell are you being paid for ?"

It's ridiculous. You see they get one exchange in the smaller towns and villages up and running and then they can claim xxxx amount of towns and villages have Fibre when in reality the coverage outside the larger towns and villages is poor and these are the areas where there is absolutely no other provider and in desperate need of high speed access.

One thing that annoys me also is that we have to make do with 70 mbs equipments but charged "up to 100 mbs" The larger towns get the full 100 mb equipment. This really annoys me. 

20 mbs upload is also on the low side and yeah sure I'll be happy with it but why ignore the upload in this day and age of Cloud services ? cloud services depend so much on upload !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭eircom: Tracey

I completly understand your frustration with this and apologies for the inconvenience of this.  I'm afraid there would be no more than can be done in relation to this.

I'll pass this feedback on for you.

Thanks

Tracey

• Advertisement
Advertisement