Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to Build over single story extension

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Hi

I would like a rough estimate of how much it would cost to build over a single story extension and to convert attic.

My house is a 1960s "council built" mid terrace house. The rear of the house has been extended and houses the kitchen and bathroom.

My stairs run the opposite way than normal stairs as in they run from the back of the house going towards the front of the house as you make your way up them. I would like the stairs turned around so they run from front to back as heading up to allow room for the stairs for the attic conversion. I would like the bathroom moved from downstairs to upstairs directly over where the bathroom is now and my bedroom extended out.

Downstairs I would like the bathroom removed and the wall knocked in to create a large kitchen area.

It is a two bed house that I bought for €27,000 last year. Ideally I have approximately 20-25g to spend. Would that cover all in?

The house is in Co Monaghan.

Thanks for any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

So a second story extention
    An attic conversion
    Move stairs
    Create new stairs
    Move bathroom
    Knock walls downstairs

20-25g? Double that easily.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

893bet wrote: »
    So a second story extention
    An attic conversion
    Move stairs
    Create new stairs
    Move bathroom
    Knock walls downstairs

20-25g? Double that easily.

Age of Foundations
    Type of wall structure/roof
    Age of drains
    Planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭893bet

BryanF wrote: »
    Age of Foundations
    Type of wall structure/roof
    Age of drains
    Planning?

Indeed, maybe x 3

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭clones1980

Thanks for your replies. I was thinking i might be pushing it alright.

Would it cover the upper floor extension ie build over the kitchen and move bathroom upstairs and knock kitchen into one large room if i scrap the attic conversion.

The extension is about 20 years old. The drains were moved when the extension was built. It is block build extension with slate roof?

Thanks for your replies. I could put more into it but dont want spend more than the house would be worth if i decided to sell down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 skinnywhip

I'm more or less planning something very similar to you.
    1940s council built house in Dublin. We built a ground floor extension when we bought 13 years ago. It contains our kitchen and bathroom, however is very badly insulated.
    So our plans are: remove the bathroom but put in a utility and keep the toilet however this would be at the upper end of the extension. Open out the lower end of the extension leading to the garden with French/sliding doors. Put a stove in. We will either internally dry line or pump the walls for better insulation.
    Building over the extension, putting the bathroom upstairs, make the 2 existing bedrooms at the bar of the house bigger. This extension will have a pitched roof, convert attic space of old and new into a master bedroom and ensuite. We also need new windows to the front. All new doors throughout etc.
    Currently I have spoken to 2 architects who say it is doable in the space we have.
    I'm looking at a timber frame extension, I've just started emailing some companies this week, ideally I would love to find a timber-frame company who would plan,design and build.
    Have you looked into timber frame extensions? I have been told it is cheaper and quicker. That's why I logged on here today to see could I get more info.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

skinnywhip wrote: »
    I'm more or less planning something very similar to you.
    1940s council built house in Dublin. We built a ground floor extension when we bought 13 years ago. It contains our kitchen and bathroom, however is very badly insulated.
    So our plans are: remove the bathroom but put in a utility and keep the toilet however this would be at the upper end of the extension. Open out the lower end of the extension leading to the garden with French/sliding doors. Put a stove in. We will either internally dry line or pump the walls for better insulation.
    Building over the extension, putting the bathroom upstairs, make the 2 existing bedrooms at the bar of the house bigger. This extension will have a pitched roof, convert attic space of old and new into a master bedroom and ensuite. We also need new windows to the front. All new doors throughout etc.
    Currently I have spoken to 2 architects who say it is doable in the space we have.
    I'm looking at a timber frame extension, I've just started emailing some companies this week, ideally I would love to find a timber-frame company who would plan,design and build.
    Have you looked into timber frame extensions? I have been told it is cheaper and quicker. That's why I logged on here today to see could I get more info.

You looking for one company that will design, apply for planning permission and then build it?

Yes.
    Design and build anyway, i spoke to one company already that do it but they are too busy at present.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

skinnywhip wrote: »
    Yes.
    Design and build anyway, i spoke to one company already that do it but they are too busy at present.

I don't actually know any company that offer this service in Dublin.
    Would you mind PM'ing me the name?

either way, you have to protect your interest, you need the guy that's signing off on the work totally independent from the builder.

kceire wrote: »
    I don't actually know any company that offer this service in Dublin.
    Would you mind PM'ing me the name?

either way, you have to protect your interest, you need the guy that's signing off on the work totally independent from the builder.

Thanks, hadn't thought of it that way.

Advertisement