Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone Alarm

• 17-02-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Mrs Bionic just got an iPhone 6 through work and we are struggling with a few things

She needs to have the volume up full to hear calls etc during the day and then she has 'Do Not Disturb' set from 11pm to 7am

However when the alarm goes off at 6.15 its like we are in the front row of an Iron maiden concert - its so loud even our daughter hears it upstairs in a different bedroom. It scares the life out of us and is not a nice way to wake up.

She will not remember each night to turn the volume of alerts down and then back up the following morning

Is there a way to separate alarm volume from the general phone volume? We cant seem to find it in the settings or via Google search etc.

On another operating system that I use (no names mentioned!) we can set a separate alarm volume and also have it gradually increase in volume over 60 seconds etc. Is this possible? Do we need a 3rd party app?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Go through the different tones, some of them start off quieter than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yep, there are sleep tracking apps that are designed to wake you slowly with softer alarm tones that get louder. I use Sleep Cycle, but there are others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

guil wrote: »
    Go through the different tones, some of them start off quieter than others.

It has about 8 tones from what we can find
    All of them very loud and some of them are like claxons and sirens and would seriously give you a heart attack if it woke you from a deep sleep at full volume

Zcott wrote: »
    Yep, there are sleep tracking apps that are designed to wake you slowly with softer alarm tones that get louder. I use Sleep Cycle, but there are others.

Is that a paid app? Dont have a Credit card set up to the phone as its a work phone only

All of them very loud and some of them are like claxons and sirens and would seriously give you a heart attack if it woke you from a deep sleep at full volume

There's over 50 different tones available for the alarm or you can use a song stored on the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

As guil said, there's a lot more than 8.

Tap clock app/alarm/edit/'the alarm time you want to edit'/sound/chimes - that's about the lowest (volume-wise) of the available tones.

You might think this silly, but she did take off the OEM screen protector as it covers the earpiece ?

guil wrote: »
    There's over 50 different tones available for the alarm or you can use a song stored on the phone.
    OK will look at it again and see if we can find the tones
    dodzy wrote: »
    As guil said, there's a lot more than 8.

Tap clock app/alarm/edit/'the alarm time you want to edit'/sound/chimes - that's about the lowest (volume-wise) of the available tones.

You might think this silly, but she did take off the OEM screen protector as it covers the earpiece ?

She already uses chimes and that is definitely the lowest so far but its still mega loud when the phone is up full blast

Its not the earpiece the sound comes out of its the speakers (or maybe I am wrong?)
    Issue is that the speakers are good and loud and are great for hearing the phone ring or message tones coming in whilst in a noisy work environment but for an alarm they are scary loud in a silent bedroom at 6.15 in the morning!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Zcott wrote: »

Does Sleep Cycle really work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Does Sleep Cycle really work?

I don't use the alarm stuff but it seems to track my sleep pretty well. Turns out I actually do ok at sleeping.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

OK will look at it again and see if we can find the tones

She already uses chimes and that is definitely the lowest so far but its still mega loud when the phone is up full blast

Its not the earpiece the sound comes out of its the speakers (or maybe I am wrong?)
    Issue is that the speakers are good and loud and are great for hearing the phone ring or message tones coming in whilst in a noisy work environment but for an alarm they are scary loud in a silent bedroom at 6.15 in the morning!!

She could just lower the volume down when going to bed and higher it up when she wakes. Takes about 3.6 seconds!

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    She could just lower the volume down when going to bed and higher it up when she wakes. Takes about 3.6 seconds!

That's the whole issue. She could indeed do that but won't remember every night and the following morning to do it!
    With old age comes forgetfulness!

We are still figuring out the workings of the phone but getting there slowly.

I sent her a soft (birds at dawn chorus) type mp3 via Bluetooth but can't figure out how to save the mp3 to the internal storage so we can use that as an alarm. Anyone have any idea how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

That's the whole issue. She could indeed do that but won't remember every night and the following morning to do it!

I sent her a soft (birds at dawn chorus) type mp3 via Bluetooth but can't figure out how to save the mp3 to the internal storage so we can use that as an alarm. Anyone have any idea how to do that.
    YouTube how to make ring tones iPhone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Dozol for the kids. Leave the phone alone :D

No, I understand that the ringing / alerts come from the speaker on the bottom. But I have seen people unwrap their new iphone 6 and leave the screen protector on until they get their hands on a case. Unfortunately, the OEM protector covers the speaker so the earpiece is all but lost (even up full). I've experienced zero issues with earpiece volume even on 'mid' setting.

dodzy wrote: »
    Dozol for the kids. Leave the phone alone :D

No, I understand that the ringing / alerts come from the speaker on the bottom. But I have seen people unwrap their new iphone 6 and leave the screen protector on until they get their hands on a case. Unfortunately, the OEM protector covers the speaker so the earpiece is all but lost (even up full). I've experienced zero issues with earpiece volume even on 'mid' setting.

Dozol probably not a good idea for 17yr old daughter - its hard enough to get her out of bed at the best of times!!

But its not the earpiece thats the issue - sounds come out of the speaker and thats up full to enable wife to hear the phone actually ringing whilst in work etc. Then when we go to bed its on 'down time' and all alerts are suppressed and therefore is essentially still up full blast at 6.15 in the morning when the phone alarm goes off
    BTW Chimes is definitely the best one we have found in the 27 available tones
    Will try to figure out how to use a softer song/download MP3 as the tone but its a lot of work for a simple task

MrMac84 wrote: »
    YouTube how to make ring tones iPhone

From what I can see the process of setting a song as a ringtone is actually somewhat convoluted and involves syncing with iTunes on a computer.
    We would rather not go down that road if possible as I have found iTunes to be a bit of a beast and dont really want to have it installed on our home PC

Is there a way to simply drop a MP3 on to the phones internal memory and use that or will everything need to go through iTunes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

From what I can see the process of setting a song as a ringtone is actually somewhat convoluted and involves syncing with iTunes on a computer.
    We would rather not go down that road if possible as I have found iTunes to be a bit of a beast and dont really want to have it installed on our home PC

Is there a way to simply drop a MP3 on to the phones internal memory and use that or will everything need to go through iTunes?

Any songs you have on the phone can be set as an alarm tone.

Dozol probably not a good idea for 17yr old daughter - its hard enough to get her out of bed at the best of times!!

But its not the earpiece thats the issue - sounds come out of the speaker and thats up full to enable wife to hear the phone actually ringing whilst in work etc. Then when we go to bed its on 'down time' and all alerts are suppressed and therefore is essentially still up full blast at 6.15 in the morning when the phone alarm goes off
    BTW Chimes is definitely the best one we have found in the 27 available tones
    Will try to figure out how to use a softer song/download MP3 as the tone but its a lot of work for a simple task

If you tap Classic at the bottom there's is another 20+ tones to choose from. There's over 50 in total.

adox wrote: »
    Any songs you have on the phone can be set as an alarm tone.

Is there a way to get songs on the phone without iTunes syncing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭xabi

That's been an issue with the iPhone for a while now, you're not the first to have that complaint. I assumed Apple would have sorted it out by now, no reason why you cant have different volumes for Calls & alarms.

Advertisement