Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Split paying of bill

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Hi,

I will be moving into a new apartment in a short while. Currently if I move into a flat and there is one other person there, one of us will have to put our details onto the account for the electricity.
    I have done this before and the other person often is late in giving their half of the money.

Do you have a system where two people can be registered and the bill of say €120, would be split between the two of us and taken out of each of our accounts? i.e) we both supply our bank details and 2 weeks are the bill is issued, €60 comes out of my account and €60 comes out the other persons account?

Regards,
    Stephen

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi Stephen,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

Unfortunately we do not have such a system of splitting a bill between two or more direct debits. We can just add another name to the bill.

I regret we cannot provide what you require in this instance.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Howlin

Hi Una,

Thank you for your reply,

I know of a few people who are renting and they would rather both people in the flat paying the bill by direct debit rather than one person, as sometimes when one of them moves apartment, it can be difficult to get the other half from the person.

Do you think this is a service that you are currently working on or if it might be available in the future?

Regards,
    Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: Una

Hi again Stephen,

We are not aware of such a service being made available. As far as we know, it would not be possible unfortunately for the system to accommodate it.

If the electricity account is not liable for a security deposit, would manual payment rather than direct debit be an option?

Another system that might suit is smart PAYG - this requires a top-up (which can be carried out online) whenever credit for electricity supply is running low. It provides visibility of usage patterns also.

Here is some further information on smart PAYG on our website if the landlord/lady would permit installation of it?

The dedicated PAYG team can be contacted on 1850 30 50 95 until 8pm Monday to Friday.

Kind regards,
    Una

________

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What I would do is agree to pay a certain amount towards the bill every week/fornight/month and then when the bill arrives neither party will be stuck with the bill coming out of the bank account. I have been doing this years and my bills are normally in credit or very small by the time they arrive.

Advertisement