Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for APP ideas?

Options
  • 17-02-2016 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My friend is an IOS developer, he recently released an APP - Bikey which rivals the Dublin Bike app.

He's now thinking of building another app and was fishing for ideas when we were in the pub on Friday.

Just wondering if anyone on boards has any decent app ideas to look at?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Give me your ideas so I can make money...

Is this for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'm sure Peter can come up with his own ideas ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Get him to make an app that generates new app ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Kristian Stewart emojis. 500 faces that all look the exact same!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

saggart26 wrote: »
    My friend is an IOS developer, he recently released an APP - Bikey which rivals the Dublin Bike app.

He's now thinking of building another app and was fishing for ideas when we were in the pub on Friday.

Just wondering if anyone on boards has any decent app ideas to look at?
    Couldn't find Bikey on the Play store.
    There's already a three dublin bikes apps, including the official one which links to your account, so it's a crowded market already.

Do what every other app developer does.

Invent a first world problem, then write an app to solve it.
    My first world problem is the issue of buying nurofen plus and the interrogation I get from the pharmacist every time, even though it's an over the counter drug.

Write an app to solve that.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Graham wrote: »

I need an App that autoposts my posts from Boards to an App that then sends a Push Notification to Graham so he can pick it apart and disagree with it.

lol....hang on I can build Apps....I will build that one myself...

I concur with the first reply though...you want people to give you great App ideas?? Ye what??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Nothing earth shattering but here's an idea so mad that it might actually cause a stir (or at least work for six weeks of marketing hype :D). UBER for pubs. Well you were in a pub when the conversation came up weren't you ?

Yes, its mad but hey what gives?

So you 'hail' a pint when leaving your house or other location (other pub maybe if you are on the crawl). You indicate mode of transport - car, walking, etc.. The app then times you/predicts you and your journey (or tells you when you should leave if close by) and you shall have the perfect pint just being left to sit on the counter as you enter the door.

Payment made at point of ordering. Name on personalised beer mat the pint will reside on (Starbucks for your pint as it were). Integrate tipping jar, ratings of the pint which will give a best pint in town via the app. Rate the bar tender (service, well turned out and good looks!!, smell!!!, whatever gets people talking). Expand it to "Instagram your pint" (or beer mat with your name on it). Selfies with the pint. Selfies with the bar tender -urrggghhh well if you were desperate I guess. Voting on the photos for the morning after. Sponsored "best of" social media posts. All those post hipstery things that someone somewhere loves. Lots of other "value add"/intelligence that you could offer the pubs and/or drinks distributors.

The other angle on it is pre-ordering in your local pub. Picture the scene - 10 deep at the bar, the place absolutely rocking, and you casually walk up to the "quick lane" when the app has notified you that your drink is ready, and pick up your pint having pre-ordered, pre-paid and receive a smile from the bar tender as you chuckle at the other patrons doing hand to hand combat like a scene from the hunger games to get said bar tenders attention.

Then, expand the horizons to something a little more health concious (really???) and allow it (OPTIONALLY) to advise people on how much they've been drinking and drinking sensibly - a rating scale from 'good for the craic' to 'sensible boy/girl' to 'you f***ing loonatic' - meh... better have that enabled via a toggle switch buried deep in the settings menu :D Probably lots more you could build in if you wanted.

Mad? YES... absolutely... but as they say, some poor marketing executive will take the fall for this one.

I've no intention to develop it so if anyone else is MAD enough (or just has spare time on their hands) and in entrepreneurial spirit wants to take a punt then be my guest.

(not terribly difficult to do either in app terms - I bet Diagio would take an interest)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Nothing earth shattering but here's an idea so mad that it might actually cause a stir (or at least work for six weeks of marketing hype :D). UBER for pubs. Well you were in a pub when the conversation came up weren't you ?

Yes, its mad but hey what gives?

So you 'hail' a pint when leaving your house or other location (other pub maybe if you are on the crawl). You indicate mode of transport - car, walking, etc.. The app then times you/predicts you and your journey (or tells you when you should leave if close by) and you shall have the perfect pint just being left to sit on the counter as you enter the door.

Payment made at point of ordering. Name on personalised beer mat the pint will reside on (Starbucks for your pint as it were). Integrate tipping jar, ratings of the pint which will give a best pint in town via the app. Rate the bar tender (service, well turned out and good looks!!, smell!!!, whatever gets people talking). Expand it to "Instagram your pint" (or beer mat with your name on it). Selfies with the pint. Selfies with the bar tender -urrggghhh well if you were desperate I guess. Voting on the photos for the morning after. Sponsored "best of" social media posts. All those post hipstery things that someone somewhere loves. Lots of other "value add"/intelligence that you could offer the pubs and/or drinks distributors.

The other angle on it is pre-ordering in your local pub. Picture the scene - 10 deep at the bar, the place absolutely rocking, and you casually walk up to the "quick lane" when the app has notified you that your drink is ready, and pick up your pint having pre-ordered, pre-paid and receive a smile from the bar tender as you chuckle at the other patrons doing hand to hand combat like a scene from the hunger games to get said bar tenders attention.

Then, expand the horizons to something a little more health concious (really???) and allow it (OPTIONALLY) to advise people on how much they've been drinking and drinking sensibly - a rating scale from 'good for the craic' to 'sensible boy/girl' to 'you f***ing loonatic' - meh... better have that enabled via a toggle switch buried deep in the settings menu :D Probably lots more you could build in if you wanted.

Mad? YES... absolutely... but as they say, some poor marketing executive will take the fall for this one.

I've no intention to develop it so if anyone else is MAD enough (or just has spare time on their hands) and in entrepreneurial spirit wants to take a punt then be my guest.

(not terribly difficult to do either in app terms - I bet Diagio would take an interest)

Outstanding!!!
    And here we were trying to solve first world problems, this is a deadly idea.
    Projected journey time between bars may be difficult depending on pints consumed, I’m sure there is some formula out there.
    The express lane idea is a winner, I’d happily pay a couple of euro for the privilege of hassle-free pint ordering.
    I’m surprised this hasn’t happened already.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Give me your ideas so I can make money...

Is this for real?

But smash….you’ll get your fair share, we’ll give u 1c on the euro for all the profits we pull in on your idea!!!

saggart26 wrote: »
    The express lane idea is a winner, I’d happily pay a couple of euro for the privilege of hassle-free pint ordering.

I’m surprised this hasn’t happened already.

Apart from:

orderella
    flow tab
    qikserve
    Preo
    Tally
    Barpass
    SpeedETab
    Buzz The Bar
    Coaster
    Bareye
    Bar Pass

Graham wrote: »
    Apart from:

orderella
    flow tab
    qikserve
    Preo
    Tally
    Barpass
    SpeedETab
    Buzz The Bar
    Coaster
    Bareye
    Bar Pass

which one would you recommend around Dublin?

Orderalla operate in Dublin and managed to raise a couple of million in funding. http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/drink-ordering-app-for-pubs-launches-in-dublin-1.1986635 I think they were in Coppers/Kehoes/Market bar at one point, no idea if that's still the case.

Flowtab died after a few years in the US and is now providing senior home care services.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

An app that electrocutes politicians when they are caught telling fibs.. pinnochiotrucion..

They wouldn't object, cos according to them none of us paupers can afford smartphones..

I can start coding tomorrow.

Advertisement