Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2011 Leaf with 150k km

• 17-02-2016 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

There is one Leaf 2015 for sale with 150k km on the clock. Looks like still 11 bars. What range i might expect from it now and in near future, just need your thoughts. Most likely someone own it before on this forum :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Pavel, have a look at the iOS app called "Leaf Energy" aka Leaf NRG. You can input clock mileage, battery state of health and various routes you take to find out the ranges.

Range will greatly depend on your speed and driving conditions (headwind and water), and to lesser extent in Ireland on elevation difference. Together these factors will easily halve or double the range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

If it's 11 bars it may have 15-20% off the range.
    When new it was ~10% behind the mk1.5 or mk1.75 24kWh Leaf.

So... it probably has a solid 90-100km in winter off the motorway.

I would look out for a 2013+ (July "built") If budget can stretch, far better battery.

You'll know the new gen from the old gen by the climate control, the updated model has a separate Heat and AC button, the original model only had AC , easiest way to tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

My 2011 Leaf has over 80,000km done and just recently went down to 10 bars. I commute from Meath to Dublin City centre so i drive 2km country lanes, 18km country roads, 5km motorway, 5km dual carriageway, 15km city driving. On a wet winters day I'd say 80km would be maximum I'd expect to get. I would expect to get 100km with heat off, lights off, good road conditions etc. I don't think my car would be capable of more than 120km in perfect conditions.

I don't think a new Leaf is capable of over 120 Kms on a new battery let alone one down to 10 bars without seriously restricting your speed and acceleration.

I would estimate to be plugged in in the current leaf at 120 kms driving at 100 Kph. But that's too close for comfort, on a new battery driving at 100 Kph in winter I would say be actually charging at 110 Kms.

There is no point in the stress of getting the battery to very low battery warning , occasionally when it can't be helped then there is nothing you can do about it but i wouldn't advise buying a leaf with one or more lost bars if you regularly do 40-50 miles round trip.

Always plug in and top up when you can, even at slow charge points, an hour on a slow charge point is 3 Kwh replaced into the battery and that will drive you around 17-20 kms and this is far better than stressing your battery more by running it down so low.

Also remember that as the battery ages as fast as the 1st gen, it will charge slower at the fast charger, this effect will increase as it continues to degrade, and at some point regen will also start to reduce in power, by this time you know it's time to get rid of it or get a new battery which might not be a bad deal if you can get the car at a cheap price, add 5-5.5 K for a battery installed.

The Gen 1.5 would be a far better bet, if it has the heat pump especially.

There is someone on the Irish EV owners "Association" getting a brand new updated model year battery for 5,000 or so for their 2012 Leaf, head over and check it out. I think it has 177,000 Kms.

This money I'd rather put into the better newer model because the battery in the current gen from July + 2013 is vastly better. Just make sure you're buying the updated model !

• Advertisement

I don't think a new Leaf is capable of over 120 Kms on a new battery let alone one down to 10 bars without seriously restricting your speed and acceleration.

As I said "perfect conditions"

I have a lot of 80kmph speed limit driving, which I usually stick to.
    I do 100kmph on motorways unless I'm in a hurry.
    I commute 48km to work, after an 80% charge at home I will have an indicated range of between 40km and 70km ie 40km if I have had the heater on the whole journey and driven faster than usual, 70km remaining range if I have taken it easy with no heating.

Here is a photo I took after a trip to work last week, I didn't zero the trip at the start so it should read 47.7km ish. This was taken after a very easy commute with no heating.

I'm not used to driving with the GOM on the current Gen, the battery % is a lot better, you should get leaf spy. It's pretty handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

I'm not used to driving with the GOM on the current Gen, the battery % is a lot better, you should get leaf spy. It's pretty handy.

I second that, even with just a week of ownership under the belt. I now multiply the % left (SOC) showing on the dashboard by 1.0 if I want to drive fast on a motorway, or by 1.3 if more sedate, or by 1.7 when in city traffic. This gives me the real remaining range on my new, healthy, 30 kWh Leaf in good conditions in winter. In other words, I am finding the car to have 100-170 km range depending how I drive. See my other posts on this thread for more stats and explanations: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057561069

The GOM (range display) is entirely useless when mixing driving styles, as I do.

I tend to allow 10km per remaining bar on the 2011 Leaf, but that only works if you are not in too much of a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Gen 1 LEAF winter range with one bar from experience 70-90 klms on 100% charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Is there anyone yet in Ireland that's doing cell replacement on older models?

Scottie99 wrote: »
    Is there anyone yet in Ireland that's doing cell replacement on older models?

Someone on the irish EV Owners "Group" is getting a brand new batter after something like 170,000 kms. 2012 I think. I think he lost his first bar after something like 75,000 kms.

Bear in mind the current gen from 2013 July built leafs are doing much better !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Someone on the irish EV Owners "Group" is getting a brand new batter after something like 170,000 kms. 2012 I think. I think he lost his first bar after something like 75,000 kms.

Bear in mind the current gen from 2013 July built leafs are doing much better !

So it'll be a 1.5Battery he'll be getting? Has there been any mention of costs involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭mundogas

Yeah I think it was 5.5k for new battery and he is hoping to keep old battery for small money. I presume he will be given the 1.5 gen 24kwh battery but not 100% sure. They couldnt be manufacturing the gen 1 battery anymore.

No he's getting the current 24 kwh battery.

He mentioned a kit needed to install the new battery which is for the modification required to allow installation if the current 24 Kwh battery.

By the time the current 24 Kwh needs replacing the battery could even be half the cost.

I would say if he has 177 or so kms that the new battery will get at least 200K - 250k Kms before needing replacement, possibly more.

A U.K 2013 Taxi drove 160,000 kms and lost 10% however it was fast charged 1,700 odd times and 5,500 L2 if I remember correctly. So that taxi has to loose at least another 20% before it's replaced.

I wonder how many Kms it would go if fast charged a lot less ?

My leaf shows 0% loss after 31,000 kms.

The 30 Kwh I believe is a new chemistry and perhaps will go for a lot longer, batteries are improving all the time.

The 60 Kwh should last the life of the car because capacity loss on large batteries is far less noticeable on with 300 km range car than on a 120 Km range car.

Advertisement