Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Clare

• 17-02-2016 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭

There's a topic in most other regional folders for the election.

Anyone have any canvassers call- We've only had one- Clare Collaran-Molloy, the rest have just dropped leaflets and ran.

Its going to be some battle between Joe Carey and Pat Breen I predict. Anne Norton will poll well but I think she'll fall short.

I predict a return to the usual 2 FF, 2FG.

Who will receive your No. 1 vote? 50 votes

Pat Breen - Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    Richard Cahill - Independent
    4% 2 votes
    Joe Carey - Fine Gael
    0% 0 votes
    Clare Colleran Molloy - Fianna Fáil
    12% 6 votes
    Timmy Dooley - Fianna Fáil
    0% 0 votes
    André Sibo Hakizimana - Independent
    6% 3 votes
    Dr. Michael Harty - Independent
    0% 0 votes
    Mary Howard - Fine Gael
    24% 12 votes
    Ian Lynch - Independent
    2% 1 vote
    Michael 'Malty' McDonagh - Fianna Fáil
    10% 5 votes
    Michael McNamara - Labour Party
    4% 2 votes
    Noeleen Moran - Sinn Féin
    16% 8 votes
    Dermot Mulqueen - Independent
    10% 5 votes
    Ann Norton - Independent
    0% 0 votes
    Niamh O'Brien - Fís Nua
    8% 4 votes
    Fergal Smith - Green Party
    4% 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

golfball37 wrote: »
    There's a topic in most other regional folders for the election.

Anyone have any canvassers call- We've only had one- Clare Collaran-Molloy, the rest have just dropped leaflets and ran.

Its going to be some battle between Joe Carey and Pat Breen I predict. Anne Norton will poll well but I think she'll fall short.

I predict a return to the usual 2 FF, 2FG.

2FF & 2FG wouldn't be that usual, normally it's 2 of either FF/FG, 1 from the other and 1 independent/Labour. Between Michael McNamara and Bamjee Labour have a decent enough history in Clare in the past 25 years.

My take on it would be that Breen will top the poll as he is the longest serving and he's got a good track record in elections. Michael Mc could poll well thanks to standing up for Shannon as well as been vocal on a lot of topics, I'd imagine Dooley will be the main FF vote so he should get in. I would say that the last seat will be Carey's but Mary Howard has a strong Ennis vote as well as the fact that Malty and Dr. Harty could get a strong West Clare/rural vote. Norton as you said could poll well but transfer probably won't do her any favours.

It could go to a lot of counts before anyone gets in, I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of people don't reach the quota.

I'm a bit annoyed that the vote is taking place in The Falls this year, not that it's a bad thing to move it around (darts on in the West) but it's a great session down there and watching the count can be fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Breen, Dooley definitely returned but after that?
    !
    McNamara will struggle with the general Labour malaise that's out there. Yes he stood up against the AerLingus sale but has he done enough?

Norton will poll strongly but as said transfers mightn't be kind, Howard not a hope IMO-3 FG candidates is counter productive, Carey will, like McNamara struggle to capture the imagination and he will lose his seat I think.

Michael Harty may be a bolter and I think could make it. Sinn Fein also will do well and Moran though low profile/unknown will be ok too.

Colleran-Molloy could be the one to watch though. Women will vote for women this time around because of the quotas and the publicity around it. Certainly the few I have spoken to are intent on seeing a woman elected and I fancy Clare.

so for me Dooley to top, Breen, Harty, Colleran- Molloy!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

1 TD from the current government would be a major shock in my opinion.

I think both the major parties are making a big mistake running 3 candidates as they are splitting their core vote, if FF went with Dooley & Colleran-Molloy both would have a great chance to get it as would a mix of Breen/Carey & Howard.

Transfers are going to be great, I would imagine that no-one will get past the quote the first few rounds, most of the independents will be wiped out, where those transfers will be huge and I don't think the local votes should be underestimated, there could be a massive swing from East to West depending on where the transfers are picked from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

I think one of the reasons that 3 candidates are being run by FF/FG is that they were afraid if they opted for 2, the other would run as an Independent. Look at the Healey Rae's in Kerry, if Jackie had gotten the nod from FF maybe there would be a different story down there. According to reports today, both of the f*ckers might get in.

I think one of the reasons that 3 candidates are being run by FF/FG is that they were afraid if they opted for 2, the other would run as an Independent. Look at the Healey Rae's in Kerry, if Jackie had gotten the nod from FF maybe there would be a different story down there. According to reports today, both of the f*ckers might get in.

FF got caught with James Breen a few years back in Clare, to be honest I can't see Malty having any chance without the FF ticket but not too long ago FF got 3 seats to admit now that they don't have a hope for 3 would be a major step down. FG would be mad to sacrifice a sitting TD to meet their female quota.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Every evening I am amazed that no canvassers have called, I am about 3 miles outside Ennis and Colleran Molloy has been the only 1 so far - well her "people" called to be exact.

It will be a tough call and I find McNamara very doubtful, sure he stood up for Shannon but what's changed now it's election time, back in the fold?

Breen, Dooley, and the last 2 wide open I think...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Guys, whats the line-up?

Guys, whats the line-up?

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_(D%C3%A1il_%C3%89ireann_constituency)

Party Candidate % 1st Pref Count 1
    Fine Gael Pat Breen
    Independent Richard Cahill
    Fine Gael Joe Carey
    Fianna Fáil Clare Colleran Molloy
    Fianna Fáil Timmy Dooley
    Independent Michael Harty
    Fine Gael Mary Howard
    Independent Ian Lynch
    Fianna Fáil Michael McDonagh
    Labour Party Michael McNamara
    Sinn Féin Noeleen Moran
    Independent Dermot Mulqueen
    Independent Anne Norton
    Fís Nua Niamh O'Brien
    Independent André Sibo Hakizimana
    Green Party Fergal Smith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I reckon it will be Pat Breen, Dr. Harty, Timmy Dooley and the last seat could go anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Dooley for sure
    Other three hard to call
    Breen could suffer from Harty and McDonagh
    Carey might get in on Howard's transfers
    McDonagh might get in on CCM transfers
    Harty might get in on his own unless the GMS payments kill him
    McNamara might make the last seat with a lot of luck

I'd write off
    Cahill
    Colleran-Molloy
    Hazizimana
    Howard
    Lynch
    Moran
    Mulqueen
    Norton
    O Brien
    Smith

That leaves 6 fighting for four seats

Breen
    Carey
    Dooley
    Harty
    McDonagh
    McNamara

Transfers will make or break

If I had to predict
    Dooley Breen Carey McDonagh in that order

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

I think Harty will poll very strong in both West and North Clare and I would not be surprised if he tops the poll. Breen and Dooley should retain their seats after that Carey/Howard and Molloy/McDonagh in a dog fight for the last seat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Mc Donagh hasn't a hope.. dooley mc breen carey and Dr. Harty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

lab man wrote: »
    Mc Donagh hasn't a hope.. dooley mc breen carey and Dr. Harty

Can't see 2 FG being re-elected that easily

I just took a look at the last 5 elections, outside of the 2011 Election FF have had over 40% of the vote and FG have had more than 25%. I would say that this time around it'll be something similar to this, the last 35% will be down to transfers, I think FF & FG are making a mistake splitting their vote, strangely enough whichever party has their third candidate eliminated first will probably fare the best.

2011 2007 2002 1997 1992 Average
    FG 30.5 35.2 25.5 30.1 25.6 29.38
    FF 22.1 44 45.4 50.3 51.7 42.7
    Lab 14.8 1.6 3.4 3.6 11.5 6.98
    Green 2 5.1 5.8 3.6 4.13
    Indep 11.2 9.3 19.5 13.33

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭golfball37

What % is the SF candidate likely to receive? I can't see it being >5%

golfball37 wrote: »
    What % is the SF candidate likely to receive? I can't see it being >5%

For the likes of the Independents and SF it's not so much how much they'll poll but where their transfers will go to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Todays Clare Champion poll has 2 new TD'S. Dr. Harty and Noleen Moran. To follow in Pat Breen and Timmy Dooley. I don't agree with it however. I wouldn't think SF will get a candidate elected in Clare.
    http://www.clarechampion.ie/poll-predicts-two-new-tds/

finbarrk wrote: »
    Todays Clare Champion poll has 2 new TD'S. Dr. Harty and Noleen Moran. To follow in Pat Breen and Timmy Dooley. I don't agree with it however. I wouldn't think SF will get a candidate elected in Clare.

Norton and Morans numbers mixed up is all I'm assuming.

660 out of a ~80k electorate is just a way way too small a sample size to be anyway accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Clareman wrote: »
    660 out of a ~80k electorate is just a way way too small a sample size to be anyway accurate.

Well in national polls they only ask about 1000 people and claim 3% accuracy.

Indicators are its either a FF / FG coalition or some sort of rainbow involving FG/ other parties / independents.

Its probably best have an independent elected in Clare to at least be in the mix if a rainbow involving independents gets put forward.

A FF/FG government and Dooley would probably be in the cabinet as he is FF front bench at the moment. Along with Noonan that should give the region a bit of clout.

Voting labour would be a waste IMO.

People need to keep an eye on the national picture when voting.

• Advertisement

Fair point, the main polls don't go down to second preferences or anything like that. I find the whole thing fascinating, could you imagine if it there was 4 different sections for first past the post in Clare, Michael Mc & Timmy Dooley would be up against each other in East Clare, Ennis would probably be the FG folks, west Clare would be Malty vs. Hillary, north Clare would be everyone else, no fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

The poll carried out confirms my suspicions that Carey/McNamara are very doubtful - they went with Moran, personally Norton or Colleran/Molloy seems more likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

This poll didnt take any sample from north clare. Both SF and Dr Harty should poll well there as none of the major parties have a local representative standing.

I will eat my hat if McNamara gets 8% of the first preference vote.

ger664 wrote: »
    This poll didnt take any sample from north clare. Both SF and Dr Harty should poll well there as none of the major parties have a local representative standing.

How do you mean? Is it that you think he will get more or less than 8%?
    He got over 8,000 no 1's in the last election anyway.

Here is the Clare Heralds poll result from last night. Not sure about it either, even though they took over twice the votes that the Champion did. But it was done in a different way.
    http://clareherald.com/2016/02/the-clare-herald-general-election-poll-results-678/

Here is the Clare Heralds poll result from last night. Not sure about it either, even though they took over twice the votes that the Champion did. But it was done in a different way.
    http://clareherald.com/2016/02/the-clare-herald-general-election-poll-results-678/

People online could vote for four candidates- Thats why Independents are so high. I wouldn't trust it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

How do you mean? Is it that you think he will get more or less than 8%?
    He got over 8,000 no 1's in the last election anyway.

He will get in. He'll get the 4th seat without reaching the quota. He has done enough distancing from Labour over the 5 years to get enough transfers.

ger664 wrote: »

Last time out he got 14.8% of the vote, considering he has been probably the second most media friendly Clare TD and he is popular I can't imagine him losing almost half his vote, assuming a turnout of 55,000, 8% is "just" 4,400 votes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I think doing well in a poll can create its own issues for candidates. For example, if the polls are to believed Pat Breen is safe and Carey is at risk This could cause FG voters to change their order of preference to Vote 1 for Carey and 2 for Breen. Breen has for years been playing up the West Clare thing but this time Harty and Lynch are more West Clare than he is and they're going to take votes from him.

I'm not convinced that Noeleen Moran is going to get elected. I know SF supporters in my own circle who are concerned with their plans to abolish the Special Criminal Court and Gerry Adam's failure to grasp basic economic matters.

The final seat will be between Carey and McNamara I reckon.

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Last time out he got 14.8% of the vote, considering he has been probably the second most media friendly Clare TD and he is popular I can't imagine him losing almost half his vote, assuming a turnout of 55,000, 8% is "just" 4,400 votes

Last time out he got a lower % than the LP national average. 8% is about right this time imo.

Advertisement