Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Clare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lampost Gazer

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Like I said in an earlier post, Clare Crusaders Clinic can provide a variety of services on a budget of €250,000 while the local HSE children's service which is receipt of major funding only meets the needs of 5% of children in need of services.

Thought Norton did better than Harty on Clare FM just there. Talk of efficiency with existing resources by norton resonated better than the Doctor's pumping of more money into the system. He started well but once the conversation with off script, he struggled and resorted to type with the 'rural revolution' stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

Heavy FG canvassing in Shannon yesterday for Joe Carey. I got a personalised letter in the post from Tony Mulcahy asking me to vote for Carey and 2 canvassers called in the afternoon also for Carey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yeah Norton is a great campaigner I have an issue with all the independents though. Would she not fare better in a party that has a chance of making it into govt? Then real change could follow, even join Renua!

buck65 wrote: »
    Yeah Norton is a great campaigner I have an issue with all the independents though. Would she not fare better in a party that has a chance of making it into govt? Then real change could follow, even join Renua!

Not sure would she join Renua. You would get a strong sense that Independents will be feature in some way shape or form in potential make up of next Govt. Usually, they are asked for a shopping list. All depends on what her shopping list is. The doctor's one seems to be gp income although with the Indo today confirming rural gps are getting an income increase from May you'd wonder what's left for the no doctor no village team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

But that's what wrong with the whole independents concept. Their shopping list would suit their area only and could be completely contrary to soemthing that's being done elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

buck65 wrote: »
    But that's what wrong with the whole independents concept. Their shopping list would suit their area only and could be completely contrary to soemthing that's being done elsewhere.
    What have any of the previous Clare TDs (most of whom were members of FF & FG) achieved?

In the last twenty years or so we had a few ministers - Brendan Daly, Tony Killeen and Síle De Valera, what did they deliver?

Brendan Daly was a great man to get lotto funding for projects and secured money for Kilrush Creek Marina. He also introduced the controversial rod licence :pac::pac::pac:.

Síle De Valera gave us Glór, which has struggled to make ends meet since it opened.

I can't think of anything Tony Killeen was involved in.

Maybe it is time to give an Independent or a new party a go?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

James Breen didn't do a whole lot when he was in place, I'm not sure of the value in having an independent in place, especially 1 who's remit is changing the health service, this is way too big an issue for 1 person to fix I fear.

Clareman wrote: »
    James Breen didn't do a whole lot when he was in place, I'm not sure of the value in having an independent in place, especially 1 who's remit is changing the health service, this is way too big an issue for 1 person to fix I fear.
    Completely agree about James Breen. I reckon he thought he could be a Healy-Rae type but Bertie didn't need him back in 2002.

Times have changed and Independents could play a role in the next government. Deep down I feel we are looking at a FF/FG government though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think we're going for a hung Dail where the Independents have the balance in power. Europe won't allow us to go through loads of elections so we'll just coast along for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

A load of elections and instability would be disastrous for the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

All I can say, is that I always expected small broken promises from main stream politicians.
    But blatant lies and total 180° U turns on promises has made me sceptical on everything I hear now from everybody.:confused:
    I'm not out to start a debate, but for the first time in 50 of my year's, I wil be voting for a person who does good for the local community, rather than the bigger picture.
    WRONG I know, but whoever is in the big boys government ( who ever they be ) will do what they want.
    We need more Clair Daly's & Mick Wallace's to at least be our watchdogs for us.

Tom

So nice of the multi-millionaire Domhnal Slattery to use his newspaper (The Clare People owner) to request all us whingers to vote for the return of the outgoing government.

This little opinion piece was not buried within the paper, it received a prominent position on the front page. I thought only Rupert Murdock pulled these stunts. So much for impartial reporting.

I'm wondering when Mr. Slattery last used a public hospital, has he ever needed a medical card ? I don't know too many multi millionaires but I'd imagine one of the perks is you can check into a private hospital like the Mater Private or the Beacon. Maybe he should stick to talking about aviation, I don't fancy his brand of journalism.

Tom44 wrote: »
    All I can say, is that I always expected small broken promises from main stream politicians.
    But blatant lies and total 180° U turns on promises has made me sceptical on everything I hear now from everybody.:confused:
    I'm not out to start a debate, but for the first time in 50 of my year's, I wil be voting for a person who does good for the local community, rather than the bigger picture.
    WRONG I know, but whoever is in the big boys government ( who ever they be ) will do what they want.

Tom
    Don't forget Catherine Murphy, she has done the State some service too. I admire her for raising concerns about some of IBRC's transactions including the sale of Siteserv to Denis O'Brien's Millington.

So nice of the multi-millionaire Domhnal Slattery to use his newspaper (The Clare People owner) to request all us whingers to vote for the return of the outgoing government.

This little opinion piece was not buried within the paper, it received a prominent position on the front page. I thought only Rupert Murdock pulled these stunts. So much for impartial reporting.

I'm wondering when Mr. Slattery last used a public hospital, has he ever needed a medical card ? I don't know too many multi millionaires but I'd imagine one of the perks is you can check into a private hospital like the Mater Private or the Beacon. Maybe he should stick to talking about aviation, I don't fancy his brand of journalism.

It's not only Mudoch, do you remember the "Its payback time" headlines in the Sunday Indo ( and following weeks Independents) that put Fianna Fail back in for the beef baron ahead of one of the best governments we ever had, the Rainbow coalition.

In fairness, I've been talking to several small business owners in the last fortnight, several of them not normally too fond of FG, they're all anxious to see the present government returned, not because they see them as any way especially enlightened , but because they know what they're going to get.

Clare FM candidates debate is on at 9.15am. With 16 candidates taking part, it should be ....messy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭black & white

tatoo wrote: »
    It's not only Mudoch, do you remember the "Its payback time" headlines in the Sunday Indo ( and following weeks Independents) that put Fianna Fail back in for the beef baron ahead of one of the best governments we ever had, the Rainbow coalition.

In fairness, I've been talking to several small business owners in the last fortnight, several of them not normally too fond of FG, they're all anxious to see the present government returned, not because they see them as any way especially enlightened , but because they know what they're going to get.

The Indo has spent the last few weeks trying to scare the shi'ite out of voters so there's still some of it going on. WWN had a nice piece about it yesterday.

Don't forget that 1 of the candidates has promised a "warts and all" review only to backdown at the last minute due to outside influences. Also, he banned social media from public meetings, can't see that being a good candidate.

Don't forget that 1 of the candidates has promised a "warts and all" review only to backdown at the last minute due to outside influences. Also, he banned social media from public meetings, can't see that being a good candidate.

And the same man who said "i never have used a computer or been on a website on my life" is speaking about the importance of broadband

And the same man who said "i never have used a computer or been on a website on my life" is speaking about the importance of broadband

Yup, great example to lead I know :D

I really think FF are making a big mistake running 3 candidates, as are FG, neither have a hope of getting 3 people in all they're doing is splitting their vote.

I really think FF are making a big mistake running 3 candidates, as are FG, neither have a hope of getting 3 people in all they're doing is splitting their vote.

FG should have run Mulcahy. He would have secured 2nd seat. Alternatively, they should have left Breen and Carey on their own. They will rue their decision at the weekend I feel. One seat for FG.

FF, and it pains me to say it, have an outside chance of a second seat but Timmy's lack of interest in vote sharing will scupper that.

Clare Colleran Molloy and Malty are Timmy's strongest assets. Make him look like a Shakespearean orator and elder statesman.

• Advertisement

FG should have run Mulcahy. He would have secured 2nd seat. Alternatively, they should have left Breen and Carey on their own. They will rue their decision at the weekend I feel. One seat for FG.

FF, and it pains me to say it, have an outside chance of a second seat but Timmy's lack of interest in vote sharing will scupper that.

Clare Colleran Molloy and Malty are Timmy's strongest assets. Make him look like a Shakespearean orator and elder statesman.

Both parties had to run a lady to meet the quotas, FG's problem is that neither Carey or Breen would step down, FF didn't have this problem so I can't understand why Malty was put on the ticket.

Malty was elected at Convention. Clare was added. You're right about Mary and gender quota by the way

He let himself down badly with that,
    We usually vote for candidates who don't, or who are unable, to subsequently deliver on their promises,
    At least with McDonagh we know from the outset that he is not going to deliver.

..oh, and he's after saying on Clare FM that he wants the IDA kicked out of Clare - that should do wonders for job creation here.

I thought all the candidates were active on Social Media :confused: I'm really curious about who ye are referring to now :(

tatoo wrote: »
    I don't want to derail the thread but it really concerns me when the owners of newspapers/media outlets engage in this sort of thing. Makes me wonder who has editorial control. It really damages the credibility of a newspaper in my opinion.

I thought all the candidates were active on Social Media :confused: I'm really curious about who ye are referring to now :(

The 1 and only Malty

http://www.the42.ie/clare-gaa-twitter-ban-2442358-Nov2015/

Dear God I forgot all about that :D

He was posting on Facebook the other day! Then again it's hard to know if it was really him or his press lady ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lebowsky

Tom44 wrote: »

Tom

Ultimately you and your vote is the watchdog not Mick Wallace etc who may have their own agenda.
    An election is your chance to cast judgement on our politicians.
    I spent the last couple of days in Kerry due to work. The feeling there is that both Michael and Danny Healy-Rae may be elected. Talking to a couple of people they talk about how much they get done for their community (roads, medical cards etc). I had to bite my tongue as the reality is that the tax payers of Clare and everywhere else had paid for this and suffered with lack of services while their father (and Michael Lowry) propped up a failing government.
    What would happen if every constituency voted in a healy-rae or their ilk where would the money come from for all the stroke politics?
    By the way this is in no way comparing the independent candidates here to those I mentioned, at least some of them are taking a national outlook regarding healthcare etc.
    This is a general election to decide on how the country is run. Local politics should be the remit of county councils.

Sorry for the rant but after a couple of days at looking at the healy-rae's posters and their promises has made me depressed over the state of our nations politics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Like I said in an earlier post, Clare Crusaders Clinic can provide a variety of services on a budget of €250,000 while the local HSE children's service which is receipt of major funding only meets the needs of 5% of children in need of services.

MrsD007, where did you get the figure about the HSE service?

Advertisement