Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Clare

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

It's a big come down for Pat Breen to be elected without reaching the quota.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭littlesthobo

MrsD007 wrote: »
    he didn't appear to make any effort to support his colleagues during the election.

Pat breen disagrees with you on that point.https://www.facebook.com/PatBreenTD/posts/1030949456963039

My big problem with your post was your mocking of his disability. You ignored this in your reply, poor form, especially from a moderator

My big problem with your post was your mocking of his disability. You ignored this in your reply, poor form, especially from a moderator
    I've never mocked anyone with a disability in my life, I was brought up better than that. Which candidate are you referring by the way?

I've never mocked anyone with a disability in my life, I was brought up better than that. Which candidate are you referring by the way?

Maybe i took it up wrong but editing your post in relation to senator Conway to add roll eyes seemed to me to be a subtle dig at his disability.

Maybe i took it up wrong but editing your post in relation to senator Conway to add roll eyes seemed to me to be a subtle dig at his disability.
    I want to knock this on the head now, I was NOT mocking Sen. Conway, you did take me up wrong. The rolly eyes emoticon on Boards.ie implies sarcasm and nothing else.

I never judge people on their gender, race, ability/disability, sexual orientation, religion or age.

Edit:

I've removed the rolly eyes emotion (which implies sarcasm) from my original post as it has caused you distress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So, the change from 2011 being Dr.Harty instead of Michael Mc Namara?
    Change for the better imo.

I want to knock this on the head now, I was NOT mocking Sen. Conway, you did take me up wrong. The rolly eyes emoticon on Boards.ie implies sarcasm and nothing else.

I never judge people on their gender, race, ability/disability, sexual orientation, religion or age.

Edit:

I've removed the rolly eyes emotion (which implies sarcasm) from my original post as it has caused you distress

Thank you for clearing that up. On reading back im sure you could see how i would have taken it up that way. I showed the post to a couple of people who felt the same as me. Im not one to go out of my way to create faux outrage and to be fair having seen you post here regularly over the years it would not be something that i would have expected from you.

Carnacalla wrote: »

Personally im disappointed for Mike Mc. Dr. Harty is a very likeable guy but will achieve nothing in opposition. I hope he can prove me wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭elastico

Personally im disappointed for Mike Mc. Dr. Harty is a very likeable guy but will achieve nothing in opposition. I hope he can prove me wrong

Unfortunately we are now entering a crazy situation where every constituency needs to elect an independent so that if there is a balance of power they may be able to something for the area.

They have gone 1 better in Kerry electing 2 Healy Rae's

This is a legacy from the Bertie Ahern era when he bought off a bunch of independents.

Thank you for clearing that up. On reading back im sure you could see how i would have taken it up that way. I showed the post to a couple of people who felt the same as me. Im not one to go out of my way to create faux outrage and to be fair having seen you post here regularly over the years it would not be something that i would have expected from you.
    Thank you littlethobo.

I now accept how it could cause offence but I can honestly say I never even thought of his visual impairment when I was typing or editing my post. It didn't enter my mind until you pointed it out.

• Advertisement

Opposition only counts for so much. Look at the Healy-Rays in Kerry, they have gotten ALOT for the county, with a strong independent here (Which hopefully Harty is) we could really improve the services here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,471 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

elastico wrote: »
    Unfortunately we are now entering a crazy situation where every constituency needs to elect an independent so that if there is a balance of power they may be able to something for the area.

They have gone 1 better in Kerry electing 2 Healy Rae's

This is a legacy from the Bertie Ahern era when he bought off a bunch of independents.

I think this attitude stems from the historic powerlessness of our parliament. With the party whips system, cabinet makes all the decisions and parliament does nothing but rubber stamp whatever cabinet says.

I think electing so many independents from so many different political agendas, means we actually have a chance to have a minority government where the parliament can actually decide which legislation to pass.

Wouldn't it be nice for our government to have to actually debate legislation and have to convince the Dail to pass it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Akrasia wrote: »
    I think this attitude stems from the historic powerlessness of our parliament. With the party whips system, cabinet makes all the decisions and parliament does nothing but rubber stamp whatever cabinet says.

I think electing so many independents from so many different political agendas, means we actually have a chance to have a minority government where the parliament can actually decide which legislation to pass.

Wouldn't it be nice for our government to have to actually debate legislation and have to convince the Dail to pass it?

We have a trifecta government which allows this, the Dail should be the debate center, the Senate the reviews and the President the final reviewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BnB

IMO, it is a waste of a seat for Clare. Harty will have as much power and ability to do anything as..... well as myself.

I agree with every one of Harty's principals but I just don't think that going into the dail as an independent will achieve anything.

Mind you, on the other hand, given the way the numbers stacked up in the end, taking Harty out of it would have given the seat to Malty. And without getting too personal about it, I would rather leave the seat empty than give it to Malty.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I love the idea of a GP in every village but I'd love to know how that's going to happen, there's a village in New Zealand offering massive salary and holidays to get a candidate and it's going unfilled, how are people going to sell being a GP in the middle of nowhere in cr@p weather.

If you want to debate drug use, find a forum, the Clare forum is not the correct arena. If you want to debate the impact of drugs on society, find a forum, the Clare forum is not the correct arena. If you want to take pot shots at each other, find somewhere else, the Clare forum is not the correct arena.

This is the Clare Regional Forum, and this thread is about the General Election 2016 in Clare, if you want to discuss other stuff find the correct arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

Getting away from the result for a moment... I walked a road this evening and I was amazed all the posters from all the candidates were gone already... I was actually praising them in my mind. It is a busy main road into town. Then I keep walking and dozens of plastic ties from the posters all along the road... Not good across the board!

The only ones down here in West Clare are the ones that were blown away last night.

There's massive fines for leaving posters up after a certain date, if there's rubbish left behind then it's a disgrace.

Clareman wrote:
    There's massive fines for leaving posters up after a certain date, if there's rubbish left behind then it's a disgrace.

Posters are one thing but the ties can't be traced

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Do they still publish how each polling station voted anywhere ?

ger664 wrote:
    Do they still publish how each polling station voted anywhere ?

Not sure if they put it on their website but it was all in the Clare People yesterday. Every box in every station all listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Not sure if they put it on their website but it was all in the Clare People yesterday. Every box in every station all listed.

Yes, the complete breakdown of the FG/FF tally, which was remarkably accurate is in Tuesdays Clare People.

crazyguy01 wrote: »
    Getting away from the result for a moment... I walked a road this evening and I was amazed all the posters from all the candidates were gone already... I was actually praising them in my mind. It is a busy main road into town. Then I keep walking and dozens of plastic ties from the posters all along the road... Not good across the board!

In around Shannon town today and the only ones left up are Dr.Hartys and Noleen Moran's, and a renegade Pat Breen one.

Ian Lynch everywhere around Kilrush too.

Ian Lynch everywhere around Kilrush too.

Start taking photos and sending them in so :)
    http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters, €150 per poster.

Clareman wrote: »
    Start taking photos and sending them in so :)
    http://www.environ.ie/environment/waste/litter/election-posters, €150 per poster.

From when do the fines kick in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

tatoo wrote: »
    From when do the fines kick in ?

Candidates have 7 days to take down their election posters so I guess that means that the fines kick in from tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Tom44

ALL TIES SHOULD BE REMOVED. by the orignal poster / party, please.

But the last poster to be removed should also remove all the other ties as they were slow to get out there. if there's some left.

Bit ironic candidates having the opinion that's " it's somebody else's problem"

:)

KEEP CLARE CLEAN

Advertisement