Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extra Barrel question

Options
  • 17-02-2016 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, looking at buying a classic rifle and there no bother there.. Thing is he also has a blank factory barrel for it, but the lad selling wont part with it unless i get another FAC for the barrel alone.. Is this correct?
    Its a unfinished barrel in the same calibre as the rifle.
    Any info welcome ...Thx

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Once its the same caliber barrel as the rifle is (and that the license will be for) then its one license for it all.

I had my 308 with three extra barrels and only needed one license for it. The second license only applies when the other barrel is of a different caliber.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It's not in the actual Acts, it's from the Commissioner's Guidelines, page 39 (bottom of the page):
    SPARE/REPLACEMENT BARREL
    A spare or replacement barrel for a firearm will not require a separate firearms certificate, provided it is of the same calibre. But if an applicant requires a spare or replacement barrel for a firearm which would result in a change of calibre to the firearm, then a separate firearms certificate will be required and will be subject to the normal €80 fee required for a firearm certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭skipking

how about a.22lr and a .22 magnum as you can get the barrels for the sako quad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

skipking wrote: »
    how about a.22lr and a .22 magnum as you can get the barrels for the sako quad.

Different caliber, different licence.

are they both not .22 if you get a license for a .22lr on the license is for .22 caliber a .22 magnum license also on the
    license .22 caliber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,968 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

That's not the way it works, you have a licence for specific chambering of the gun, nothing else.

i bought a box of .22lr bullets with my brothers license handed in the license no problem .22 license. and no questions
    asked. my brothers rifle is a .22 swift.

Lads, lets be careful of what you're saying. This is an open forum and the need to impress, or whatever it is, will only land you in trouble.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

not trying to impress anyone just pointing out it did not state what .22

Admitting to illegal activity (using the wrong license and not even your own) on an open forum is either trying to impress someone or plain silly. You choose which one is applicable, but for your own sake don't post it again.

When you apply for your license you state the caliber. This caliber encompasses the chambering. So you don't write .22, you write/apply for .22lr, .22wmr, .220 swift, etc. The license may not have all the details as supplied by you on the FCA1, but the issuing of it means you are subject to the limitations of the license. That includes buying/possessing ammunition suitable to the firearm as applied for on your FCA1.

So if you've applied for and got a license for a .22lr, then your license can say .22, .220, 2+2, etc. You can only legally have the ammo that is suitable for the firearm your license was granted for.

Remember this one, key, aspect of all things firearms. The Gardaí are insulated. The law says the licensee is responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Cass wrote: »
    Once its the same caliber barrel as the rifle is (and that the license will be for) then its one license for it all.

I had my 308 with three extra barrels and only needed one license for it. The second license only applies when the other barrel is of a different caliber.

I have a 22lr licence, I want to purchase another 22lr barrel (different length), as I understand it no further licence is required. But does the new barrel have to be stamped with the same serial number as the rifle I have the licence for ? Or can I buy it with no serial number?

cass after looking up when i last had a .22 my brother also had one. he was with me in the shop as i forgot my license he was buying bullets and just bought a extra box. as for the fcai form there was none 40 years ago. gun shop is now
    closed and my brother died a young man.hope this clears it up

rsole1 wrote: »
    I have a 22lr licence, I want to purchase another 22lr barrel (different length), as I understand it no further licence is required. But does the new barrel have to be stamped with the same serial number as the rifle I have the licence for ? Or can I buy it with no serial number?
    It does not need to be stamped with anything. Just buy and use.
    cass after looking up when i last had a .22 my brother also had one. he was with me in the shop as i forgot my license he was buying bullets and just bought a extra box.
    That is not what you said above:
    i bought a box of .22lr bullets with my brothers license handed in the license no problem .22 license. and no questions
    asked. my brothers rifle is a .22 swift.
    Here you say YOU bought them with YOUR Brother's license, which you later name as being a Swift and not a .22lr.

Had you said he bought an extra box of ammo using his .22lr license and was present then this whole debacle would be unnecessary.
    as for the fcai form there was none 40 years ago.
    There was none 8 years ago. Don't get your point.

If you mean the old licenses had no such distinction on them, well the point is moot. The extra barrel issue the OP asked about is only a new-ish feature and something the FCP got us. So talking about things that happened 20, 30 or even 40 years ago is irrelevant.

I'm not looking to start or continue a row here. Had you may your first post as clear as the one above there would be no issue. You did not and i replied to what you wrote, not what you meant.

Advertisement