Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sziget 2016

Options
  • 17-02-2016 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭

So i just took the plunge and bought a 7 day camping ticket for sziget, i cant freggin wait!. To be honest i barley looked at line up before i bought ticket i know the experience is gonna be class regardless of who's playing and I've been to Budapest before and loved it.

I'm a festival veteran here in Ireland ( 5 last summer alone :D ) but never done one abroad much less one with guaranteed heat.

Any boardsies going or have been before?

Any one who's been before, how much did you spend over week not including flights and ticket prices, in other words just spending money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Would love to do this too and also take in a bit of Budapest as well, just don't have the sponds at the moment, but would like to try it some year. I had a mate from Galway who went in 2011 I think, he said it was amazing and quite affordable too. It wouldn't have a Glasto or Coachella proportions of a line up but a nice eclectic mix of sounds and some cool headliners. OP you should join efestivals forum too there is a Sziget 2016 thread there about ten pages long. :)

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/204743-sziget-2016/

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

Me and a friend are considering it. She is a big fan of M83 and they were on the official announcement. We will make a decision towards the end of May, as I have another festival in Germany in May which could end up costing me a lot of money.

Have never been to the festival before, I have visited Budapest though and where the festival takes place is a lovely place.

The line-up is very good so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There's a couple of similar threads on here from people asking before, do a forum search.

I went a few years ago and really enjoyed it!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Rihanna has been added

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Bought a ticket for this the other day - first festival outside of Ireland for me!

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Is anyone braving camping?!

Yup, myself and 3 other lads will be camping. The girls we're going with bottled it and booked an AirBnB in the city. I've heard it's tough going. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Yeah couldn't be doing camping for 7 nights to be honest, and it's usually very hot :eek:

Yeah it's usually very hot during the day but absolutely freezing at night.

And those girls who booked the airbnb AR totally missing the craic of camping on the island, plus that trek in an out of the city is a ball ache. Could not imagine doing each day.

Supposed to be more acts announced tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

I'm flying out day before on the Tuesday, an back on the 19th think i paid about 230.

Happy Tuesday, Szitizens! wink emoticon Please welcome:
    Hardwell – Sziget End Show * Manu Chao La Ventura * Kaiser Chiefs * FIDLAR * Boys Noize * Dillon Francis * Movits * VINAI * Dj Sliink * punnany massif @ Sziget Festival 2016!

• Advertisement

Happy Tuesday, Szitizens! wink emoticon Please welcome:
    Hardwell – Sziget End Show * Manu Chao La Ventura * Kaiser Chiefs * FIDLAR * Boys Noize * Dillon Francis * Movits * VINAI * Dj Sliink * punnany massif @ Sziget Festival 2016!

meh...

i've seen Boys Noize previously, id probly go to them again, i love dance music but have no interest really in big room EDM style Djs like hardwell.

Kaiser Chiefs id probably go to if they don't clash with anything else i want to see but not to fussed.

Just looked at FIDLAR on spotify they have a few songs i like may try check them out.

Don't know any Manu Chao although that Me gustas tu song is catchy i recognize if from some movie or tv series that used it i think.

I'm not exactly over the moon with anyone on the line up so far, But that being said I'm going to be on a island in budapest in 20+ degree heat at a festival so the line up is really a secondary issue for me. plus loads more will be announced between now and august.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Casshern88 wrote: »
    meh...

i've seen Boys Noize previously, id probly go to them again, i love dance music but have no interest really in big room EDM style Djs like hardwell.

Kaiser Chiefs id probably go to if they don't clash with anything else i want to see but not to fussed.

Just looked at FIDLAR on spotify they have a few songs i like may try check them out.

Don't know any Manu Chao although that Me gustas tu song is catchy i recognize if from some movie or tv series that used it i think.

I'm not exactly over the moon with anyone on the line up so far, But that being said I'm going to be on a island in budapest in 20+ degree heat at a festival so the line up is really a secondary issue for me. plus loads more will be announced between now and august.

Manu Chao is amazing live, full of energy. Check out a few more songs, be unreal to see in the sun!

Yeah we fly out on the 10th and back on the 18th, was about 240e return, not the worst!

Who you flying with?

Lufthansa via Frankfurt

All the direct flights where either **** times for us or too expensive.

Yea i was on ebookers and some Norwegian company had the cheapest flights but took 24 hours ha. Since we would have to stay in Oslo for well over 12 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Shaungoater

I would recommend anybody camping to upgrade if you can, camping alternative, we did two years ago best thing we ever did. Proper showers, proper toilets, how in this day and age electric picnic can be classed as a boutique festival with the shower and toilet facilities they provide is beyond me. If you can't upgrade, get there early.

It's pretty much a 24 hour festival. There is a giant supermarket next door to the festival, like a tesco superstore, so you can stock up their on any camping equipment and beer you may need. You can get blow up mattresses there too, we did, ground is rock hard. Beer pretty cheap in there anyway but supermarket the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

Just had a look at this festival and now i really really wanna go..
    Only problem is I can't handle heat, 28 degrees is my max!
    Should I just forget about it altogether or is a different type of heat than we get here? I heard someone say it can get up to 35 degrees there :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,592 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

mimimcmc wrote: »
    Just had a look at this festival and now i really really wanna go..
    Only problem is I can't handle heat, 28 degrees is my max!
    Should I just forget about it altogether or is a different type of heat than we get here? I heard someone say it can get up to 35 degrees there :eek:

Renting accommodation should be cheap enough in Budapest, this is another bonus of Sziget its relatively affordable.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Renting accommodation should be cheap enough in Budapest, this is another bonus of Sziget its relatively affordable.

If you cant handle the heat absolutely do not camp, you will be roasted waking up in tent, But if you can afford to stay in a hostel or air b&b with air con, then youll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,123 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Went last year, great festival. Extremely hot however (36-38) and I would never dream of camping there if the weather was going to be similar this year. It's a long festival too, it's not like it's just a couple of nights. We got an airbnb not too far from the festival, about a 10 minute train journey in along with a 5-10 minute walk either side. It was perfect for us and allowed a little site seeing too, didn't usually go near the festival until the evening with the heat. Also it was my first festival outside of the UK and Ireland, the amount of dust in the air took me by surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

We're going to this this year and doing the full 7 day camping. We arrive around 7.30 pm the first day of the festival. Are we better of bringing a tent with us or buying one over there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Deficient in Calcium

hey guys, just wondering how much spending money people are planning on bringing? 😊

hey guys, just wondering how much spending money people are planning on bringing? 😊

hard to say, i'm going for 10 days, landing the day before and leaving 2 days after i think , aiming for 800 to be more than comfortable. I'm sure you could do it for less too of course. pints are going to be about equivalent of 2 euro plus with the sun your prob not gonna be able to drink as much as you would at home.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    hard to say, i'm going for 10 days, landing the day before and leaving 2 days after i think , aiming for 800 to be more than comfortable. I'm sure you could do it for less too of course. pints are going to be about equivalent of 2 euro plus with the sun your prob not gonna be able to drink as much as you would at home.

Cool, planning on heading to Prague for 2 nights after so was thinking a one hundred day budget would do.. Thanks! 😀

Brilliant, I'm unbelievably excited for it... I'm thinking it's not going to be a 24/7 drinking sesh like the festivals here at home so the money I've saved should do me! Any advice on cigarettes? Do they sell them there or should I get them duty free on the way out?

Unreal... Any other advice on stuff to bring/ not bring? I hear the weather can be a bit all over the place ... Are queues for toilets as atrocious over there?

When's everyone flying over, I'm going out the Tuesday 7.55 flight from Dublin. Luckily i booked flights months ago got them for around 200, some of my mates left it last min and direct flights are over 500 now :o

I've been doing quite a bit off research on Sziget over last few months so here is all info i can think of off hand.

No idea about toilets situation but with any big festival expect some ques.

Someone mentioned somewhere else on another thread to bring some kind of bandanna / scarf thing you can cover your mouth with, apparently a few days in it can get really dusty in the air especially in main arena as there is no moisture to keep the sand / dirt down, something were not used to here, can be hard on the lungs after full week of it apparently. again this isn't something I've experienced first hand so may or may not be an issue really.

Id say bring a bum bag into festival every day with any essential you need, sun cream / anti bacteria stuff, tissues, portable phone charger if you have one.

Also you may not be aware, you cant not bring booze into campsite areas like you can with Irish festivals, you have to buy all booze in there. although I've read of people successfully sneaking vodka in inside water bottles and things like that. Pints are like 2.50 so shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

No actual cash is used inside festival, you transfer it onto a Sziget card, which works as a visa debit card that you can only use with any vendor inside festival grounds you can top this up as you wish. Festipay is the company that manage this, if you download there app Android link You can register your Sziget pay card on the app once you get it, and top up through the app, or block your card if you lose it so someone else cant spend your cash.

There is a shopping center called Auchan about ten min walk up from the festival, its like a super mall that sells everything including camping equipment like tents, everyone seems to go there to buy booze, food and festival supplies daily. Its the closest big shop to island so its easy to find as there will always be load of people walking that way.

That's all i can think of off hand anyway!!

We arrive at around 7.30 on the Wednsday evening and we're camping for the 5 days. I'm just wondering would we be better off bringing a tent over? I'm worried that shop will be sold out by then??

Me and my four friends heading out from Dublin at 7 or 8 on the Friday morning!

We got cheap flights via Frankfurt, 10th - 18th, the direct flights where going for silly money! The timings work out better then the direct flights anyway.

You know the 5 day tickets are for Friday onwards right? (unless you bought moving in early tickets too ;))
    I have the 7 day tickets, we're just moving to an apartment for the last 3 days we're there ;)

• Advertisement

Same as staying in air b and b. Air con apartment. Although kinda afraid we'll be missing some of the campsite craic. But defo couldn't hack waking up in that heat inside a tent.

Advertisement