Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sziget 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I'm making a few last minute purchases, what are some essentials I should bring that I won't get over there??

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Probably not much help to people, but we went to Sziget in 2013 and for all those going, I would advise them to take advantage of Budapest as much as the festival.
    Sziget itself is decent and the atmosphere and organisation was really good, but you'll probably see all corners of it in a few days so be sure to see the city as well because it's fantastic.
    The baths are the ultimate hangover/comedown cure and if you want a break from the island, the Jewish quarter has some great bars. The city itself is beautiful.
    Just something to bear in mind if you get a bit restless on the island all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Space Shanty

Mr.S wrote: »
    What's the easiest way to get to and from the festival to central Budapest?

We were staying in the city and got a small ferry from the island back to the waterfront promenade.
    From what I remember, one side of the island is very close to the side of the river (the Buda side of the city I think).
    That's where people were getting taxis at the end of the night back into the city if they stayed for the after hours music, so you have that option.
    The other side of the island looking across the river to the Pest side of the city has a small jetty where ferries were coming and going fairly frequently. The jetty is just at the end of a path that goes across the island and through bar areas, small stages etc, not far from the back of the main stage. The jetty is also close to one of the festival entrances.
    I can't say for sure if you can buy a return ticket from the island, but it can't be too hard to find out. It's a nice way on and off the island. You could easily go into the city for a few hours in the afternoon/early evening and back out for the main stuff on the island at night... or vice versa.

Edit: Found it. The small blue marker on the right side of the island is the jetty (hope this works... I can't post images on my work PC)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@47.5499563,19.0572895,16z

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Currently training it through Austria en route to Sziget.

So buzzed for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭GradGirl27

Just read through this thread, some great advice. Some friends and I are in discussion about going to Sziget 2017, we're all hardened Irish festival goers (we've seen it all hail and shine) so we said we may aswell try foreign festivals and Sziget is one that tops all our lists. It's early planning stages and I for one definitely don't fancy the idea of 7 days of camping esp in the heat that it can get to over there plus a friend went last year and said a thunderstorm hit two nights in a row and ruined tents and everyones stuff and I'm not into that happening to me ha. The upgrades do interest me though and if I was to camp I would be opting for some of the vip options for added comfort.

Been looking into air bnb's and hostels and it's looking like basic accomm is gunna be around €200. I've been to Budapest before and stayed in a great central hostel in Astoria. Does anyone have any other hostel recommendations they've stayed in and how closer were they to the festival site?

Really want to get the ball moving on planning cuz flights are around the €200 mark at the moment and Aer Lingus is actually cheaper than Ryanair right now! I don't fancy the stop over Lufthansa flight's friends have gotten before over last summer.

All in all sorry for this long message but I just wanted some updates on the people who commented in this thread last summer prior to going, I think a few people were first time goers so I'd love some info from you and from others who've attended on how you found it and some do's and dont's :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Hawthorn11

@GradGirl27 Did you guys end up booking Sziget 2017? Were heading over on the Monday before the festival starts, gona camp in VIP and got an early move in ticket to get a good shadey spot!

Advertisement