Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help buying a new fan to replace stock

Options
  • 17-02-2016 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭

Hello all

My stock fan is like a jet engine in terms of noise,

I was looking at the following - ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2; its compatible with my intel socket.

Do i need to do any thinking around my PSU powering this?

I am comfortable opening up my computer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The heading said you wanted a new fan ...... but your post is about a new heatsink & fan combination.

Why not just replace the fan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

The heading said you wanted a new fan ...... but your post is about a new heatsink & fan combination.

Why not just replace the fan?

Didn't think that was possible tbh as the fan is mounted to the heatsink no?

Didn't think that was possible tbh as the fan is mounted to the heatsink no?

Most fans can be replaced ...... never met one that couldn't but they might be out there :)
    If you have purchased an Intel® Boxed Processor, it is likely that the box contained a fan-heatsink. Both the processor and fan-heatsink are covered by the 3-year limited warranty.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/processors/000007025.html

EDIT:

BTW, a replacement stock Intel assy of heatsink & fan would be much cheaper than The Artic.

Most fans can be replaced ...... never met one that couldn't but they might be out there :)

Nice one, I'll cracking open the pc tonight and have a look, you might have saved me a few quid!

Any particular quiet fans you'd recommend?

Nice one, I'll cracking open the pc tonight and have a look, you might have saved me a few quid!

Any particular quiet fans you'd recommend?

Intel have done some things over the years to prevent it I believe so you might be unlucky.

Even so a stock replacement should be considerably less money that the Artic.

EDIT:

I went looking for something I might remember :)

This looks like a fan held on to the heatsink with tabs ....... they are difficult to lift without breaking, but it can be done.

IntelE4400_pspc.jpg

• Advertisement

Intel have done some things over the years to prevent it I believe so you might be unlucky.

Even so a stock replacement should be considerably less money that the Artic.

EDIT:

I went looking for something I might remember :)

This looks like a fan held on to the heatsink with tabs ....... they are difficult to lift without breaking, but it can be done.

IntelE4400_pspc.jpg

Ill have a nosey when i get home cheers, see if the fan looks like it can be lifted off

The pc is a workhorse from 2008, no intention of letting it give up :)

Had a nosey online, seems like id be better off getting the Artic as its very quiet, the noise of fans does my head in!

So to my original question - is there any power related things I should be aware of? Or is it just plug in and play?

My CPU temps are 50C at idle, seems a bit high for a Core 2 Quad?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Had a nosey online, seems like id be better off getting the Artic as its very quiet, the noise of fans does my head in!

So to my original question - is there any power related things I should be aware of? Or is it just plug in and play?

Even try giving it a clean, the heatsink and fan. Dust build up on the heatsink reduces the efficiency in dissipating heat, making the fan spin quicker to maintain lower temperatures making it noisier. You might be surprised the difference it can make, especially if it hasn't been cleaned since you got it 8 years ago

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Even try giving it a clean, the heatsink and fan. Dust build up on the heatsink reduces the efficiency in dissipating heat, making the fan spin quicker to maintain lower temperatures making it noisier. You might be surprised the difference it can make, especially if it hasn't been cleaned since you got it 8 years ago

Already gave it a clean at the weekend, took a lot of dust off it but no difference :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Maybe your heatsink is not seated properly. 50c idle is on the high side. You will need some thermal paste to reseat it.
    If you do get a new heatsink&fan it will plug into the same connector on the motherboard as the stock one so you don't have to worry about that.

• Advertisement

Did you replace the thermal paste when cleaning it, and ensure the heatsink was re-seated correctly?

Definitely too high.

EDIT:

Meant to say I got an Artic Freezer 13 for an i7 some months ago and am pleased with it.
    Cost about $30 delivered at the time.
    If buying from Amazon UK it might be cheaper to get the dearer product with free delivery ...... just something to consider ;)

Did you replace the thermal paste when cleaning it, and ensure the heatsink was re-seated correctly?

Definitely too high.

EDIT:

Meant to say I got an Artic Freezer 13 for an i7 some months ago and am pleased with it.
    Cost about $30 delivered at the time.
    If buying from Amazon UK it might be cheaper to get the dearer product with free delivery ...... just something to consider ;)

Yeah replaced it with thermal paste, good point re Amazon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The Arctic Freezer 7 is probably worth about 30% of the whole value of the PC! I'd just get a replacement Intel cooler or Arctic Cooler 11, both are around 10 euro and both are perfectly good.

If you've replaced the paste, but the fan is running like a jet engine and temps are 50c at idle, there's something wrong there, unlikely to be the fan itself if it's running that fast and temps are still that bad. Either too much paste, not enough, or cooler isn't clipped in properly or similar.

Advertisement