Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

chargepoint cable/install advice

13»

Comments

A 20 KW AC charger does not take up a lot of space.

It's far cheaper and easier for the ESB to install AC points. Faster DC will be for motorway or City to City travel but AC is quiet useful and shouldn't be ignored.

You still don't get that even if you got a 60 or 100 Kwh battery that most people won't need to fill this up daily in 10-20 mins while on the motorways it would be great but for the majority of the time it's not necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

A 20 KW AC charger does not take up a lot of space.

It's far cheaper and easier for the ESB to install AC points. Faster DC will be for motorway or City to City travel but AC is quiet useful and shouldn't be ignored.

You still don't get that even if you got a 60 or 100 Kwh battery that most people won't need to fill this up daily in 10-20 mins while on the motorways it would be great but for the majority of the time it's not necessary.

I dont accept your last contention and it's not borne out by the 80% fcp type regime many people do even if the next journey doesn't need its

A 20 kW charger is neither cheap nor small. Certainly the tesla 10 kW isn't

BoatMad wrote: »
    I dont accept your last contention and it's not borne out by the 80% fcp type regime many people do even if the next journey doesn't need its

A 20 kW charger is neither cheap nor small. Certainly the tesla 10 kW isn't

A 20 Kw charger would not cost a lot when mass produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Can anyone tell me of an electrician that can install my ev charger in Galway city. I've phoned 3 guys now and they are of no help to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Have you contacted Nigel Daly yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

boardzz wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me of an electrician that can install my ev charger in Galway city. I've phoned 3 guys now and they are of no help to me.

Just tell them you want a 32A outdoor socket installed. Then hand them the charge point when they show up. It's literally the same job, but if you are trying to get a quote over the phone EV charge point sounds like an unknown quantity.

cros13 wrote: »
    Just tell them you want a 32A outdoor socket installed. Then hand them the charge point when they show up. It's literally the same job, but if you are trying to get a quote over the phone EV charge point sounds like an unknown quantity.

If they provide a suitable socket, you can put a suitable plug on the EVSE yourself, theres no issue installing and EVSE, its the modifications to the distribution board that require a RECI.

IN my case I am going to get the contractor to provide a suitable rated socket, as I want to remove the EVSE , during the long absences from the house. ( Its very visible close to the road )

Ok So looks like the Ioniq forum has gained interest in the ABL EVSE 32 amp software update.

Can anyone again share the steps involved in getting the software to the cable to connect to the EVSE to actually flashing the firmware and the process.

I'll be moving soon and hoping to get this upgrade finally.

I had the software but can't seem to find it so if someone can link to it I promise I won't tell ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I'm not near that chargepoint at the moment and can't exactly remember the steps.
    So don't treat this as gospel.

I used an RS422 adapter like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERIAL-RS-232-RS-422-RS-485-CONVERTER/dp/B003DQ3U7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484997299&sr=8-2&keywords=RS-422

Serial settings were 38400 8-N-1

I then had a serial console and it was fairly self-explanatory after that.

Maybe someone out there has kept their terminal log?

cros13 wrote: »
    I'm not near that chargepoint at the moment and can't exactly remember the steps.
    So don't treat this as gospel.

I used an RS422 adapter like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SERIAL-RS-232-RS-422-RS-485-CONVERTER/dp/B003DQ3U7S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1484997299&sr=8-2&keywords=RS-422

Serial settings were 38400 8-N-1

I then had a serial console and it was fairly self-explanatory after that.

Maybe someone out there has kept their terminal log?

PM me for steps. No software other then a terminal program

• Advertisement
Advertisement