Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish barista campionship 2016

• 17-02-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Anyone know who won the completion yesterday. I know the brewers comp was on today but the barista competition was on yesterday, the winner of which will represent Ireland in the Worlds in Dublin later in the year.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

What in the name of Christ is a barista championship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

You do know what a barista is, Yes. This is the guy in a coffee shop who pulls your shot of coffee or makes your Cappa or whatever. In the better coffee shops or speciality coffee shops these guys or girls are trained Baristas. There is a Worldwide competition each year to find the best Barista. A lot of countries send a representative, usually the barista who has won the national competition. Thie world competition can be held anywhere in the world but this year it is being held in Dublin, a good chance for Irish people interested in this to see the best in the world in action up close. I think the best Ireland has done is when Colin Harmon of 3FE came 4th in the Worlds a couple of times if memory serves me right. If interested have a look here, http://scae.ie/.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I find the whole atmosphere of barista championships a bit stiff and strange with the way it's all setup and no doubt the Irish one would attract a lot of silly pointed moustaches, beanies, and pretense, but good luck to the hopefuls!

J_E wrote: »
    I find the whole atmosphere of barista championships a bit stiff and strange with the way it's all setup and no doubt the Irish one would attract a lot of silly pointed moustaches, beanies, and pretense, but good luck to the hopefuls!

You are so wrong regarding the type of ppl that enter the competitions, esp the Irish one. The guys that I have come across are just ordinary joes that have a passion for good coffee and just take it to the next level which is good for the development of the coffee industry in Ireland and the choice of excellant coffee we now have, a choice we did not have even 10 years ago. To win even the Irish crown takes a lot of practice, dedication and a single mindedness to be the best of the best at that craft, not an ounce of pretense in sight. Pretense in this disipline will get you nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

I was at the aero press championship a few years ago in the fumbally.

I enjoyed it as I use an aero press myself and it was good craic watching the different methods the contestants used etc

Re the attendees: there were plenty of fixie bikes outside the venue and moustaches, beards and skinny jeans on the inside. Not everyone of course but a strong contingent. Each to their own though it didn't effect my fun at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭donnacha

Anyone know who won the completion yesterday. I know the brewers comp was on today but the barista competition was on yesterday, the winner of which will represent Ireland in the Worlds in Dublin later in the year.

Natalia Piotrowska is the Irish national barista champion for the second year in a row. Niall Wynn got 2nd place and Wojciech Tysler was 3rd.

World Barista Championship is on from 23rd to 25th June at the RDS.

donnacha wrote: »
    Natalia Piotrowska is the Irish national barista champion for the second year in a row. Niall Wynn got 2nd place and Wojciech Tysler was 3rd.

World Barista Championship is on from 23rd to 25th June at the RDS.

Thanks mate, I was rooting for Niall, the IBC plaque would have been a nice fit in The Other Place his new coffee shop. I did hear that Craig from Love Supreme in Stonybatter came 4th in the Brewers cup, well done Craig as it was his first try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Zymurgist wrote: »
    I was at the aero press championship a few years ago in the fumbally.

the aeropress champs have a much more laid back tone (over here anyway), we host them and it's a thinly disguised excuse for a bit of fun and a piss-up, the BC are a far more serious affair. Nothing wrong with that but they are very dry and technical as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think the best Ireland has done is when Colin Harmon of 3FE came 4th in the Worlds a couple of times if memory serves me right.

Stephen Morrissey, who is technically Irish, won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭The_fever

Aeropress championships are ridiculous I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

The_fever wrote: »
    Aeropress championships are ridiculous I think.
    Right. As a social event as I get it, but as its own sport, I can't take it seriously. Looking at the winner's recipes online, there are instructions so specific that surely in a blind test you would not be able to taste the difference.

Advertisement