Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patagonia Expedition Race 2016

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

woody1 wrote: »
    programme about patagonia 2011 i think on BIKE channel on sky , recorded it and only watched the first 15 mins so far but it looks good, im sure itl be repeated that channel repeats a lot..programme called the last wild race

Thanks a mill for the heads up on this. I recorded it yesterday and watched the first half hour. It gives a brilliant insight into the race and great to see the team dynamics and the route choices :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

https://www.redbulletin.com/at/de/sports/michael-strasser-cairo2cape-blog-woche-5

this guy looks like to set a new record cycling through africa
    the pervious record was set by a team of five and he is going solo and looks like to beat the team of 5 by 1-2 days . so far he has 10000 k in 32.5 days. averaging aobut 320 k a day. Its a very good effort and his biggest problems as saddles sores and pain in arm and wrist.

how special is it jan frodeno would beat him by aoubt 45 -55 min over an ironman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Its all relative Peter.

Jan is one of the best in the world at what he does. Be interesting to see how he fares over a 5 day event I know a team looking for someone strong. Doubt he would be able for it to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

peter kern wrote: »
    https://www.redbulletin.com/at/de/sports/michael-strasser-cairo2cape-blog-woche-5

this guy looks like to set a new record cycling through africa
    the pervious record was set by a team of five and he is going solo and looks like to beat the team of 5 by 1-2 days . so far he has 10000 k in 32.5 days. averaging aobut 320 k a day. Its a very good effort and his biggest problems as saddles sores and pain in arm and wrist.

how special is it jan frodeno would beat him by aoubt 45 -55 min over an ironman

It is an achievement in fairness but it's not adventure racing. My German is sketchy at best so correct me if I'm wrong but I presume he's on main roads which would be off limits in AR, he doesn't have to navigate or try to pick a route while going at top speed. He's not carrying provisions or mandatory kit on his back and he's getting a good sleep every night. Now maybe if he included a hike a bike up Kilimanjaro he might get some respect from AR folk but as it is I think your post would be more suited to the cycling forum where they might have more sympathy for saddle sores ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

That man trains 40 hours a week for 20 years is a very good mountain biker and. Twice as though as any guy on this forum it's a joke that with a few month of specific training he would. Be up for it .
    Seriously .
    It's a bit like thinking that a guy that played reserve for Leeds n soccer could not do a sub 9 ironman ( 8.30 he is at the moment ) those guys are though and if they put their mind to something they get good at it .
    sconhome wrote: »
    Its all relative Peter.

Jan is one of the best in the world at what he does. Be interesting to see how he fares over a 5 day event I know a team looking for someone strong. Doubt he would be able for it to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

peter kern wrote: »
    That man trains 40 hours a week for 20 years is a very good mountain biker and. Twice as though as any guy on this forum it's a joke that with a few month of specific training he would. Be up for it .
    Seriously .
    It's a bit like thinking that a guy that played reserve for Leeds n soccer could not do a sub 9 ironman ( 8.30 he is at the moment ) those guys are though and if they put their mind to something they get good at it .

Twice as tough?! Its his JOB! Fair play he made that career for himself but you find out how "tough" someone is when you face them with real adversity. Not just physical pain.

You are weighing in your perspective on sheer physical performance and drive. Add sleep deprivation, fear of water, fear of heights, squashing your ego for the greater benefit of the team, balancing another job and kids on top of that 40 hrs etc. to the mix and it gets a bit more interesting...

Ritchie McCaw is as tough as they come in Elite Rugby. Lets see how he gets on in GodZone in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

Thanks a mill for the heads up on this. I recorded it yesterday and watched the first half hour. It gives a brilliant insight into the race and great to see the team dynamics and the route choices :D

theres another programme on now called wild racers , seems to be a series
    ive only seen 5 minutes of it but it seems ok, on the BIKE channell as well

Advertisement