Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resigning over salary?

Options
  • 17-02-2016 7:50pm

I know people do this when they move on to another job with a higher salary, but has anyone around these parts resigned when salary negotiations didn't go their way? I know money isn't everything but it helps.

My role has changed significantly over the last few months (change in title, significant extra responsibility etc.) but benchmarking it is tough as I live in the wilds of the border counties and work in a niche industry. From the limited comparisons I've managed to do the role is undervalued in pay terms, quite significantly. I've opened the communication channels with my immediate manager and they're an equal mix of uncomfortable/horrified that I dared ask for a salary review (we haven't talked exact figures by the way). I suspect the answer from HR will be no.

I'm not considering crashing out in a blaze of glory but the salary issue is making me rethink my role at the company.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

People resign for a multitude of reasons. Why should salary be any different?

The only question is where do you follow up. Assuming that you're not trying to use it as a bargaining chip then will you get another job elsewhere that the benefits you more?

If not then what's the point.You can make the case that a salary review is deserved but if they can't or don't want to agree then you'll have to accept the result or consequences.

Btw, I know someone who did and now works in another job two hours travel away instead of five minutes, and for very little extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,746 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

So do you have no other job organised and you want to resign?

Look around for alternative roles, do interviews, when you have the other job in the bag go back to your company and tell them you have been offered a higher salary and are leaving, thank them for giving you the role originally and leave on good terms. Companies often only see they value of their loyal employees when they say they are leaving. They can then counter offer with a higher salary or let you go, ball is in their court.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Leaving with nowhere to go is throwing the baby out with the bathwater..

Look for something in line with your new skilset/experience, only then use that as a bargaining chip.

Could be, your company know their location gives them an advantage in the wages dept

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Leaving with nowhere to go is throwing the baby out with the bathwater..

That would depend on the op's situation. It's not always the end of the line like it's made out to be.

If salary is the only reason then maybe hold off resigning until you find a new position. Have you thought about upskilling or changing roles completely? Is a course an option?

Thanks for the replies - I knew it would be a topical issue!

I am looking for other positions but haven't put too much effort into it so far. As what we do is fairly unique the pool is small and it would get around that I was applying to/interviewing with competitor companies. Up to know I've felt that would weaken my case for a pay rise as I would seem disloyal? I wouldn't want to use a resignation as a threat (give me the money or you can stick your job!!!!!1111) but part of me feels like my position would be untenable if I put forward a solid case for why the role, and me in it, are worth a higher salary and they refused it.

In terms of upskilling it's not a huge priority for me at the moment - I'm near the top of my game and am well-respected in my industry and have spent years getting here. For me the salary negotiation is a business matter, but my manager seems to be trying to make it personal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Kepler 186f

I definitely wouldn't leave without having something lined up first. Once upon a time, a long long time ago I left an decent paid job to pursue a better paid job. I stupidly left around Christmas, lost out on my bonus and didn't have work for a number of weeks due to the time of the year. Needless to say I learnt the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

What sort of % do you think you are being underpaid by?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Few months in new position? Still very inexperienced in it and still learning probably, jumping the gun a bit I think, you haven't said how long is a few mts is, how underpaid are you, could they take on someone to do the job for same or less with a few mts training.

My 'new' role is one that I've held previously for a number of years at a competitor company so although the dynamics of it are a little different it was a natural progression in many respects from the role I held at my last company and the prior role I had here. Could they hire externally for less? Potentially, it depends what a candidate is willing to accept in terms of salary. I don't think they'd find a candidate with similar experience but you never know. A job near mine was advertised at my old company in the last couple of months with a guide range of 10-20% more than my currentsalary.

In terms of % I think 15% would be more accurate but would be happy with 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

10% isn't a massive ask if you'd be happy with it, do they have a review every year, if not and you get in front of hr no harm in asking them how your salary should progress. Best of luck with it, just when read the post thought you were looking for 50-100% more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,475 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some bosses seem very miserly. Don't often value the good employee. Have that going on with a family member, too.
    Guy really central to a business growth, turned down for an increase. Now searching for a better employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can you 'sell' yourself to your manager? Or more correctly, to their manager?

Work out that you bring in X amount of sales or Y amount of profit. That you have grown the business by Z%. That you are now responsible for tasks ABC, that weren't your tasks previously / when you were hired.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Dick Dastardly

It's a lot easier to get a job if you have a job OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 inmy64

My role has changed significantly over the last few months (change in title, significant extra responsibility etc.) but benchmarking it is tough as I live in the wilds of the border counties and work in a niche industry. From the limited comparisons I've managed to do the role is undervalued in pay terms, quite significantly. I've opened the communication channels with my immediate manager and they're an equal mix of uncomfortable/horrified that I dared ask for a salary review (we haven't talked exact figures by the way). I suspect the answer from HR will be no.

I'm not considering crashing out in a blaze of glory but the salary issue is making me rethink my role at the company.

Throwing your toys out of the pram as the saying goes. Do you think you will automatically land another job with a huge pay increase? You are also only in the new role for a couple of months and if you put that on your C.V you probably won't be considered. As the previous poster said its a lot easier to get a job when employed. If your so sure you'll land another job then start sending out your C.V's now and see if you can land an interview and get a new job somewhere. You may be in for a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

"Loyalty" is not in the vocabulary of an employer when it comes to pay.
    If anything, your loyalty is a hindrance to your pay.

Get out and interview elsewhere.
    If they find out, they find out. They can either address the pay issue, or they won't and you'll leave the firm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Companies these days are like insurance policies, no rewards for been a loyal customer. Same with companies, you won't get anything for staying loyal.

The funny thing is companies developed this culture of sure the company will go on even if you are not there. Sadly, it even easier to move and get paid more for your work because of this policy and bad managers (by this I mean people with a lack of interpersonal skills).

Recently in my role, I had been unhappy but I was just starting out. I continued on, but recently there have been so many changes, an increase in work load which is unmanageable (in the sense that it's out of my hands, management are pulling you in different directions, so your focus is lost in the mix), this was brought up at meetings by myself and others.

The final straw to me was a so called pay increase of 4%, but the con we would have to work an extra 30 minutes a day. That to me was the final straw and an absolute insult. Got a new job, more money same type of role, will hopefully pick up some new skills, workload will be high but I don't mind that I will work hard once the pay is good.

Best advice I can give, is the insurance policy comparison. Shop around for something new, companies should pull as much weight as there employees, a lot of them have a lot of contempt for people below director level/senior mangers.

Advertisement