Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need external storage product advice

Options
  • 17-02-2016 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Looking to buy external storage 2TB that would be as simple as plug and play, something like memory stick, so that I could upload separate files from different computers on same external storage.

Recently bought Seagate Expansion and it only offers disk back up, if I want to download specific files I would need to buy upgrade, which I dont want to do.

Any advice? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If by Seagate Expansion you mean a portable drive then you can just backup whatever files you want. Some drives come with automatic disc backup software but you don't have to use it. Just drag and drop whatever files you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

bizleads wrote: »
    Looking to buy external storage 2TB that would be as simple as plug and play, something like memory stick, so that I could upload separate files from different computers on same external storage.

Recently bought Seagate Expansion and it only offers disk back up, if I want to download specific files I would need to buy upgrade, which I dont want to do.

Any advice? thanks

What's the model of the drive you bought? Sounds like its just some preinstalled crap on it. You should be able to format it and just drag and drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

• Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You'll pay huge money for a 2tb memory stick, not even sure if they have a 2tb one available yet.

Here's a 1tb stick at £600+
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/HyperX-DataTraveler-Predator-Flash-Drive/dp/B00E65QM8O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455743917&sr=8-1&keywords=2tb+memory+stick

Your Seagate drive is a perfectly adequate solution for you. If you plug it into your PC it should appear on your list of drives, and then its just a matter of dragging your files you want to backup into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 bizleads

thank you all for your replies, I bought seagate expansion portable drive from amazon. On it you could back up whole disk - lets say C or D or need to buy upgrade to backup single files and to see files tree. I need something that would work like a memory stick across many devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,636 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A disk drive, like the one you have, is exactly the same as a memory stick.

They are both storage devices. You can do with your Seagate drive what you could do with a memory stick. You don't need to buy anything else to backup or copy single files to it.

I am sorry but I fail to understand what exactly you can't do with it.

As Niman says above, there should be no reason you can't use the Seagate drive as you like. If you have no data on it at present you could always format it to get rid of any extraneous software it came with.

let me explain: once I run seagate expansion software to download files to external storage, it says that I can backup/ download only whole disk from my computer, if I want to download single file to seagate external storage from my computer it wont allow it - it asks for me to buy software upgrade - which I dont want to do.

I need recommendation for other manufacturer that does not force you to buy sotware upgrades

let me explain: once I run seagate expansion software to download files to external storage, it says that I can backup/ download only whole disk from my computer, if I want to download single file to seagate external storage from my computer it wont allow it - it asks for me to buy software upgrade - which I dont want to do.

I need recommendation for other manufacturer that does not force you to buy sotware upgrades

Ok, Forget about the software for one second. When you plug in the drive it should appear as a new volume in My Computer. You should be able to double click that to open it and then drag and drop any files you want into it.

EDIT: This is from the Seagate site itself
    'Every model of Seagate, Maxtor-brand, and Samsung external drive has a ready-to-use formatting already in place. In Windows, there is no need to do anything special or additional to make the drive work. Simply plug in the power, plug in the USB/Firewire/eSATA cable, and the drive should appear in (My) Computer and Windows Explorer almost immediately.

Once it is detected, all you have to do is move data into it. There are 2 general ways to do this:

Drag and drop
    Copy and paste'

Thank you for your advice, From 3 laptops that I have none found external harddrive once I plugged it in, but all found that software upgrade feature and disk recovery option. that is the reason why Im looking for new external hardrive

• Advertisement

Thank you for your advice, From 3 laptops that I have none found external harddrive once I plugged it in, but all found that software upgrade feature and disk recovery option. that is the reason why Im looking for new external hardrive

So what shows up in My Computer then . . . nothing?
    If so right click My Computer and go to Manage >> Storage >> Disk Management and let us know what's listed (this is when you have the external drive plugged in of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Can you find it in Disk Management(MyComputer->Rightclick->Manage)?
    I'd remove all partitions and create a new one and manage the backups myself

Thank you for help but I already returned it and looking for a new one. As far as I remember I could operate it only through Seagate software, but did not try manage option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I Have 4 external usb drives ,i plug em in,copy files to the drive.
    i never bother installing backup programs ,
    i use system restore on windows 7.
    I click on drive e,copy files to folder,
    i dont need to use any special programs,
    i treat em like a usb drive .
    IF i,m doing a reinstall i copy all data,music files to a usb drive first.
    I Just have podcast .,s ,music files,youtube videos, .never bothered with disk recovery programs .
    I Don,t have much valuable data to lose.
    I just ignore any software that comes with a drive
    buy a drive,plug it in,
    Wait 3 minutes ,windows 7, window opens ,in system tray icon,new device detected,
    installing device drivers ,
    copy data to a folder on the drive .

unless you are running a business theres no rule that says you must install all software
    every time you buy a drive.

Advertisement