Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wrong food, but doing well

• 17-02-2016 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭

We bought the wrong food for our dogs, they normally get a food in a similar bag and we (wife) didn't notice she picked up the wrong one. This food is a local made Whistlersdogfood.com and is for active and working dogs.
    Only thing is, they have been eating it for 3 weeks now and they are doing very good, 2 miniature schnauzer, 6&7 years old, one is very picky but he loves this new food, coats good, energy level good.
    What do you make of these ingredients?

IMGIMG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

Can't see them!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Looks like the ingredients are to the left of what you photographed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Sorry meant to put up both, done now

I still can't open it or am I going blind? I'm using my phone though.

Knine wrote: »

Not sure what's happening, this link will give the same details
    http://whistlersdogfood.com/chicken/

• Advertisement

It took my phone a minute or two to open it:)

OP, that's certainly not the worst food I've ever seen ingredients-wise. I'm not the hugest fan of maize, but otherwise it looks to me like a good middle-of-the-road food. If your dogs like it and are doing well on it, I don't see any reason to change it unless you're very keen to go completely cereal-free.

No Im just happy when I get a food that the dogs (especially the picky one) will eat and enjoy. But seen its for working dogs, just wanted to make sure that it isn't completely unsuitable or bad for them. Thanks for the feedback

It looks ok to me, meat is the first ingredient, maize amount looks to be high which is not ideal but at least it is the 3rd ingredient. I can't see the price to compare it with other similar foods. If the dogs are doing well & you are happy with the cost I would leave them on it.

It looks ok to me, meat is the first ingredient, maize amount looks to be high which is not ideal but at least it is the 3rd ingredient. I can't see the price to compare it with other similar foods. If the dogs are doing well & you are happy with the cost I would leave them on it.

It was €35 for usual 15kg bag

The only observation I'd make is that it's pretty high in fat... Now, so are the really premium, cereal-free, high-meat diets, because meat is high in fat, but if you happen to have a dog who's overweight, or who has other health issues relating to fat (eg pancreatitis), then you'd need to source a much lower fat food.
    This probably doesn't apply to you op, but it might at some point in future, or to someone else reading this thread :)

• Advertisement

You have actually reminded me I must look at the fat amounts on the food I use. I feel terriers are better off on lower fat foods.

You have actually reminded me I must look at the fat amounts on the food I use. I feel terriers are better off on lower fat foods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

My Labrador eats optimanova obesity food, it's brilliant ... Cereal free, high meat content 60% odd and only 8.5% fat. He does great on it :D
    My 14 year old staffy X also eats it and she's looking very trim and svelt for her age!

Advertisement