Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security cameras

Options
  • 17-02-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hi I have 4 security cameras installed which I purchased from Maplin as part of system about 5 years ago. I now want to upgrade to better cameras which will suite my system. My cameras have male and female connections. I was thinking could I go with 2 rotating cameras instead of 4 fixed ones. I will be grateful for any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jholleran

johnnyb6 wrote: »
    Hi I have 4 security cameras installed which I purchased from Maplin as part of system about 5 years ago. I now want to upgrade to better cameras which will suite my system. My cameras have male and female connections. I was thinking could I go with 2 rotating cameras instead of 4 fixed ones. I will be grateful for any help

I'm assuming that this is an Analogue system. Do you have a DVR in your system? If so, does it have an RS485 connector? The Analogue Pan/Tilt & Zoom (PTZ) Cameras have the same BNC connectors as your bullet cameras but it also have two wires that go into the RS485 connector which is needed to control the PTZ functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

You can upgrade your system and cameras using a hybrid system. These would allow you use the analog you have plus be able to add HD cameras/ip cameras as you wish. PTZ cameras are more expensive due to the features you require.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

jholleran wrote: »
    I'm assuming that this is an Analogue system. Do you have a DVR in your system? If so, does it have an RS485 connector? The Analogue Pan/Tilt & Zoom (PTZ) Cameras have the same BNC connectors as your bullet cameras but it also have two wires that go into the RS485 connector which is needed to control the PTZ functions.

yes I do have a DVR system which is continually recording. I have decided to replace like with like as I don't want to have to fit more wires. Could you recommend a decent camera with night vision for decent money. I c many of them on amazon but don't know what I am buying

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

yes I do have a DVR system which is continually recording. I have decided to replace like with like as I don't want to have to fit more wires. Could you recommend a decent camera with night vision for decent money. I c many of them on amazon but don't know what I am buying

Id be vary buying anything off sites like that, too many fake products being sold.
    Id have a look at the suppliers list and go from there.
    HIK Vision and the LTS are very good brands to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jholleran

I've seen these Swann Analogue PTZ in Maplin. I've never used one of these so I don't know how good they are but they looks decent for the money. Have a look on their site for the swann pro 754 700tvl.

The Camera has a BNC connector, so it should be compatible with your DVR. The cable that comes with this camera combines a BNC and a RS-485 (RS-485 is for the PTZ controls) so if you are going with this type of PTZ Camera you would need to put down this new cable.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Keep away from it would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭johnnyb6

jholleran wrote: »
    I've seen these Swann Analogue PTZ in Maplin. I've never used one of these so I don't know how good they are but they looks decent for the money. Have a look on their site for the swann pro 754 700tvl.

The Camera has a BNC connector, so it should be compatible with your DVR. The cable that comes with this camera combines a BNC and a RS-485 (RS-485 is for the PTZ controls) so if you are going with this type of PTZ Camera you would need to put down this new cable.

thanks a lot for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

I've posted this before but those maplin units come with massive security flaws.
    More info here and here

I wouldn't recommend using any of those cheap units.
    Buy cheap buy twice etc etc

Advertisement