Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No planning on attic conversion

Options
  • 17-02-2016 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hello folks.

Viewed a bungalow today that we would be very interested in purchasing.

But, there is a wrinkle.

Current owners installed a stairs and converted the attic space into two bedrooms and a shower-room.

They have no planning for this and the corridors are definitely not to any spec.. very small.. low ceilings etc.

The auctioneer tells us it won't get planning/retention as-is. But is of course telling us that shur tis grand .. people buy places that have planning issues all the time.. etc etc..

So, as first time buyers and pretty inexperienced we are wondering whether we should listen to that and what it would mean for us.

Right now there's only the two of us and hoping to have a baby next year.
    So the downstairs with the four bedrooms is plenty big enough for us.
    And for a good few years into the future really.

Would we be able to buy this place the just effectively forget about upstairs for anything other than storage/office ?

Or would we be forced to de-convert the attic by the planners?

Would we get house insurance as it is right now?

What else would we have to think about ?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vidapura wrote: »
    Hello folks.

Viewed a bungalow today that we would be very interested in purchasing.

But, there is a wrinkle.

Current owners installed a stairs and converted the attic space into two bedrooms and a shower-room.

They have no planning for this and the corridors are definitely not to any spec.. very small.. low ceilings etc.

The auctioneer tells us it won't get planning/retention as-is. But is of course telling us that shur tis grand .. people buy places that have planning issues all the time.. etc etc..

So, as first time buyers and pretty inexperienced we are wondering whether we should listen to that and what it would mean for us.

Right now there's only the two of us and hoping to have a baby next year.
    So the downstairs with the four bedrooms is plenty big enough for us.
    And for a good few years into the future really.

Would we be able to buy this place the just effectively forget about upstairs for anything other than storage/office ?

Or would we be forced to de-convert the attic by the planners?

Would we get house insurance as it is right now?

What else would we have to think about ?

Thanks

The attic of a bungalow may not require planning. Are there any dormer windows or is it all velux type windows? are they all to the rear?

The attic conversion in a bungalow also only brings a second storey into play, so there are no onorous regulations involved that would be similar to say an attic in an existing 2 storey dwelling.

The big issue foe me would be :

were the floor joists upgraded?
    Is it structurally sound?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

cant the owner ie you, be forced to undue all the work and whacked with a fine for work carried out without the correct permission? I would at the least be factoring that and the possible costs further down the road into any deals I make if I were you however I would also suggest walking

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Dormer windows require PP, velux windows dont.

Also if its a 4 bed plus 2 bed in attic, it is still only a 4 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Also if its a 2 bed plus 2 bed in attic, it is still only a 2 bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Stojkovic wrote:

Velux windows to the rear may not need planning. To the front, likely need planning.

Also if you are getting a mortgage, it may be required that it be planning compliant. Something else to be wary of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

In this case would the conversion add value to the house or decrease value?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

phobia2011 wrote: »
    In this case would the conversion add value to the house or decrease value?

Non planning compliant extensions invariably decrease value. It makes it difficult for borrowers to buy and cash buyers will drive a hard bargain as a result. Some extensions or conversions are poor and do not add value and in some cases detract from value.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Smiley11

Velux to the front definitely need planning. I've had to put in a retention application as I'm selling my house & the bank won't issue the mortgage funds without planning being granted! Don't know anything about internal works but I'd imagine a solicitor or engineer could flag it

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Thanks All.

Velux windows to back.

Floors didn't feel even. Whole thing felt a bit 'thrown up'.
    So, unlikely any joists were upgraded. But didn't see any ceiling problems downstairs.

Corridor felt very narrow and low. Doubt it would be compliant with fire regs (or something like that)

Will have to see about the mortgage agreeing to it so.. hadn't thought of that at all. I'd have to pay for their valuer to come in and pass it. So, that'd answer that.

Thanks again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

vidapura wrote: »
    Thanks All.

Velux windows to back.

Floors didn't feel even. Whole thing felt a bit 'thrown up'.
    So, unlikely any joists were upgraded. But didn't see any ceiling problems downstairs.

Corridor felt very narrow and low. Doubt it would be compliant with fire regs (or something like that)

Will have to see about the mortgage agreeing to it so.. hadn't thought of that at all. I'd have to pay for their valuer to come in and pass it. So, that'd answer that.

Thanks again.

A certificate of exemption from the vendor will satisfy the banks.
    An engineers inspection of the attic floor joists would satisfy me as the buyer whether to give the offered price or a reduced amount to upgrade the works (assuming you really want that particular house).

Fire regs and the corridor don't really come into play in a 2 storey house. Wired smoke detection in accordance with TGD Part B would be applicable and remember, the suggested room height in accordance with TGD Part F is 2.4m, it's not a hard and fast rule.

If your gut instinct is saying walk, then walk away. Otherwise, engage someone to look at the house and give an outside opinion to aid you.

• Advertisement
Advertisement