Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Taken from a coffee forum,

I have the 3200, but the principles should be the roughly the same when setting up your machine.

I got through loads of beans to start with, got frustrated, then called the sister-in-law (a trained Barista) who helped me set it up in five minutes. Once set, it produces brilliant consistent coffee and I've not had to adjust it since.

Tips:

The espresso shot(s)....quality not quantity!

The espresso shot is the heart of almost every coffee. Once you have it sussed, it's all just variations. To get the espresso right, the grind has to allow a certain amount of water through in a certain amount of time. For our machines, that means producing a 60ml double shot in 20 seconds. I very rarely use the single shot as I like my coffee quite strong.

My grinder is set to about the 4.5 marking on the dial. The water quantity is set very low to ensure I only get 60ml of "coffee". The coffee strength is set to about two thirds.

I would aim to get the liquid amount right first using a very small measuring jug to check, setting the coffee strength to say two thirds. Adjust the cup level accordingly until you get 60mls. Yes it is a small (but will be soon a perfectly formed) shot!!!!!

With that set, time the pour. If the coffee is being made in less than 20 seconds then the grind is too course. Likewise, longer than 20 seconds means that the grind is too fine. When you get it right, the puck should stay formed when ejected, but will crumble easily when touched.

Another good indicator, is that when being poured the coffee will look like two creamy rats tails, which should also give you a good 4mm of caramel coloured crema on top.

Making an Americano.......water first, then the shots

This is basically hot water and espresso shots to produce a "regular" coffee. Before you make your espresso shots, heat the cup either by grabbing one you've already had sat on the warming plate, or run it under the hot tap, or alternatively half filling it with boiling water from the kettle.

Once warm, disgard the water and half fill again with hot water from the wand, or from the kettle. Now place the warmed cup with hot water under the dispenser and hit the double-shot.

You'll then get a lovely black Americano with creamy crema, into which you can add milk and sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I always do 18g in/30g out in 25-30 seconds.

60ml is just diluting the shot, no? Or producing potentially underextracted flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭milhous

J_E wrote: »
    I always do 18g in/30g out in 25-30 seconds.

60ml is just diluting the shot, no? Or producing potentially underextracted flavour.

I'd be the same, 17/18g yielding about 30g Espresso.. I aim for around 30s, with all the variables (fresh beans/temp etc) and the constant adjustment on the grinder it can be somewhere around the 25-30seconds Mark.

Quicker than 25seconds and it's underextracted giving you weak Espresso, and if you run water through it for too lokng you're looking at overextracting leaving unwanted flavours and bitter.

Then there is personal preference too, doubt there's a right answer. Just an average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just wondering if anyone else has a specific favourite coffee bean variety? Over the last number of years, I've found that my favourite cups of coffee have come from single origin beans of the Caturra / Catuai varieties. I'm not sure at this point how much (or if) this is influenced by the processing/roasting processes, or why I specifically like the flavours (which I find rarely match the descriptions that accompany the beans) - I just know that I enjoy the coffees more than those made from other bean varieties. Two roasts in particular spring to mind:
    Bailies Honduras La Concepci Catuai + Bourbon - Honey processed (Jan 18)
    CoffeeMojo - Santa Maria de Lourdes - Caturra + Catuai - Natural sun-dried (2014)
    But I've also had coffees from those varieties that didn't hit the same notes that separate them from others.

I need to keep experimenting, but just wondering, does anyone else have specific bean varieties they look out for, and does the processing method influence your purchasing decision?

milhous wrote: »
    I'd be the same, 17/18g yielding about 30g Espresso.. I aim for around 30s, with all the variables (fresh beans/temp etc) and the constant adjustment on the grinder it can be somewhere around the 25-30seconds Mark.

Quicker than 25seconds and it's underextracted giving you weak Espresso, and if you run water through it for too lokng you're looking at overextracting leaving unwanted flavours and bitter.

Then there is personal preference too, doubt there's a right answer. Just an average.
    I do find people not used to espresso this strong find it way too powerful. Works wonderful for milk drinks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Just wondering if anyone else has a specific favourite coffee bean variety? Over the last number of years, I've found that my favourite cups of coffee have come from single origin beans of the Caturra / Catuai varieties. I'm not sure at this point how much (or if) this is influenced by the processing/roasting processes, or why I specifically like the flavours (which I find rarely match the descriptions that accompany the beans) - I just know that I enjoy the coffees more than those made from other bean varieties. Two roasts in particular spring to mind:
    Bailies Honduras La Concepci Catuai + Bourbon - Honey processed (Jan 18)
    CoffeeMojo - Santa Maria de Lourdes - Caturra + Catuai - Natural sun-dried (2014)
    But I've also had coffees from those varieties that didn't hit the same notes that separate them from others.

I need to keep experimenting, but just wondering, does anyone else have specific bean varieties they look out for, and does the processing method influence your purchasing decision?

I have a preference for beans from East Africa, Ethiopia in particular. I wouldn't be an expert on the particular bean or roasting process but this has been my go to area for a good while now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Usually go for south american beans - anyone know much about the difference between washed and unwashed coffee in terms of flavour? The bailies special piqued my interest!

I was in Ernesto's in Rathmines today, he had 1kg of Silverskin beans for 22 euro. He said he ordered too many and these and are surplus to requirements. Selling them for what he got them for.

I got a Eureka Mignon! Finally, a grinder to match my Rancilio Silvia! It's gorgeous.

J_E wrote: »
    I got a Eureka Mignon! Finally, a grinder to match my Rancilio Silvia! It's gorgeous.

The all important question - which colour? :D

• Advertisement

The all important question - which colour? :D
    Electric Yellow!

yellow.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Any body any specific recommendations from James Gourmet Coffee?

Just picked up a rave coffee order from parcel motel this evening - dying to try it tomorrow! Got a good few blends to try and some colombian suarez from teh single origins.

Has anyone tried the roasted to order coffee from union?
    https://www.unionroasted.com

Delivery to uk is free over £15 so with parcel motel could be good value - also, they do 200g bags so a nice way to try a few blends. I have seen their stuff in the supermarket but imagine their freshly roasted beans must be significantly better

Just picked up a rave coffee order from parcel motel this evening - dying to try it tomorrow! Got a good few blends to try and some colombian suarez from teh single origins.

Has anyone tried the roasted to order coffee from union?
    https://www.unionroasted.com

Delivery to uk is free over £15 so with parcel motel could be good value - also, they do 200g bags so a nice way to try a few blends. I have seen their stuff in the supermarket but imagine their freshly roasted beans must be significantly better

Got 3 free bags with the 4200 De’Longhi . Wasn’t impressed to be honest.

mad m wrote: »
    Got 3 free bags with the 4200 De’Longhi . Wasn’t impressed to be honest.

Was it freshly roasted or just like the standard stuff that is stocked in the supermarket?

It was roasted in December last year and I got it in Jan/feb this year I think but that was down to delivery, it was freshly roasted and stamped by person who roasted it. I got Revelation, Bright note, Gajah Mountain. Actually Bright Note wasn’t to bad. Also to note they only come in 200g bags.

I’ve nearly a full bag of Revelation if you are near kimmage you can have it to try.

Thanks, you're very kind to offer but I am not out that way. The 200g bags had actually appealed to me from the point of trying a wider variety of beans in the same order. Think I will give them a miss now though after your experience anyway!

Just started on the rave fudge blend this morning - very nice but still tweaking the settings on it.

Thanks, you're very kind to offer but I am not out that way. The 200g bags had actually appealed to me from the point of trying a wider variety of beans in the same order. Think I will give them a miss now though after your experience anyway!

Just started on the rave fudge blend this morning - very nice but still tweaking the settings on it.

Let me know what settings you eventually settle for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Any recommendations for a bean that has a slight choclately kick at the end that’s not too bitter? If that makes any sense!!

I love Bell Lane's Dragonfly blend - it's a very creamy milk chocolate. Their Moondust is a stronger, darker flavour.

Currently on Rave's fudge blend at the moment which is a lovely medium roast with a slight sweetness to it. They have lots of chocolately type coffees in their blends too but I have not opened the bags yet, sorry!

Can't go wrong with any of Bailies' blends and 2 bags get free shipping so not expensive to try. Nota, Pendo and Umbra are all on the chocolately spectrum with low, if any acidity. I hate the floral, lemony coffees myself and generally go for the nutty, chocolately ones and would recommend all the above.

Badger & dodo are next on my list (have only had their coffee in-store) and they seem to have a good few that would be worth looking at too.

• Advertisement

Dragonfly and moondust ordered. I’m assuming by the price these are small bags!!
    Can 1kg bags be purchased?

They used to do a 500g (2 x 250g bags) option for a bit of a saving but now only do single 250g bags :( Even for the subscription option the 1kg comes in 4 x 250g bags, so they must not have the packaging.

They do discount codes every few months usually which is a good opportunity to stock up - Bailies sometimes do a 10% off code too. Half the fun is trying out different ones I find!

Hope you enjoy it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

the best coffe I had was in one French caffee

Good to have you here but can you expand a bit please, the brand or the bean. If you don’t know either, there’s not much point in posting really......

The Gloomster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I just received this Hario V60 decanter that I bought on ebay:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hario-Decanter-Pourover-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B00755F9Z4

Bought it from a seller in Japan for under 20eur shipped, couldn't believe it! It's a glass decanter and lovely quality. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but looking forward to it. I'll have to get a proper drip kettle now.

Has eBay seller anymore? Link?

Just opened the Brazil Santa Lucia from Rave this morning and an absolutely gorgeous rich, chocolately coffee! Pity it was end of line though so no repeat buy :( Better you have loved and lost I guess :D

Just opened the Brazil Santa Lucia from Rave this morning and an absolutely gorgeous rich, chocolately coffee! Pity it was end of line though so no repeat buy :( Better you have loved and lost I guess :D

Sounds just like what I’m after. Typical!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I've been given a Hario Box Grinder, exactly like this

hario-mxr-2tb-clear-box-grinder.jpg?itok=e8o1HWK8

but it's missing the handle to turn the burrs.

Anyone know where I'd get one, or is it for the bin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

I've been given a Hario Box Grinder, exactly like this

hario-mxr-2tb-clear-box-grinder.jpg?itok=e8o1HWK8

but it's missing the handle to turn the burrs.

Anyone know where I'd get one, or is it for the bin?

Google says the unit is a Hario model mxr-2tb, probably best to contact Hario UK and ask them

https://www.hario.co.uk/contact-us/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

brian1976 wrote: »
    Google says the unit is a Hario model mxr-2tb, probably best to contact Hario UK and ask them

https://www.hario.co.uk/contact-us/

so I did this, they are the UK distributers, but they've sourced me an arm and sent it to me for the cost of the P&P

good guys

Advertisement