Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

New to this thread. Had a few take out coffees (normally not my thing) over the weekend from a few different places in Cork, all with good reputations for taking their coffee seriously but it struck me that none of them were particularly enjoyable (I think a lot of us drink coffee out of habit without really tasting it), all of them really bitter, no smoothness at all but that seems to be the norm here. I heard an Irish barista who won some big international competition a few years back that in his opinion the French had the worst coffee in Europe as they over roasted it. Is the same thing going on here? I can't remember the last time I really enjoyed a cup of coffee while out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

Most of the places selling bad coffee , dark roast , it is supposed to use within milky drinks only (Late , Cappuccino etc.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭adam240610

anyone ever use salt in coffee?

I find it can reduce the harshness of some of the bitterness from over roasting - I'm not talking a huge amount, not enough to make the coffee itself taste salty but a gram or a gram and a half in a cup.

I've seen some suggestions that it can go in with the grounds too, but I've not tried that - and also, it's fairly rare that I'd need to use the method because I normally buy light to medium roast anyway.
    A gram or a gram and a half would be ridiculously salty, I've used as few fine grains before you need very little, impossible to weigh it without using a saline solution and a dropper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

alec76 wrote: »
    Most of the places selling bad coffee , dark roast , it is supposed to use within milky drinks only (Late , Cappuccino etc.)

Insomnia have a light or medium roast available (it's a few cent more expensive) and it's ok for a chain coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

Gramm and a half salt would be 1/2 of TS ?
    I dunno what people call “huge amount” then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭Bigbooty

I recalibrated my virtuouso grinder and I'm quite surprised by the improved consistentcy. It was at its coarsest so moved it more to the middle. There was also half a bag of ground coffee inside the case too so it was good to clean things up. Am I just imagining improved consistentcy or has anyone had a similar experience with another machine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I see cloudpicker have a new grinder available to preorder - The Fellow Ore brew grinder. Looks interesting!

Looks like a great bit of kit for the money. It's marketed as the first flatt burr grinder for the home brewer. Will be keen to see what James Hoffman thinks of it as it's something he will review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭dball

he did last week, def not an espresso grinder anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,113 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Looks like a great bit of kit for the money. It's marketed as the first flatt burr grinder for the home brewer. Will be keen to see what James Hoffman thinks of it as it's something he will review.

Interesting. The grinder section in My Quickmill Pegasso has flat burs.

• Advertisement

Have been tempted to change my set up to a really nice grinder and french press/hario/aeropress or whatever as my bean to cup is just not cutting it now and I only ever drink americano / black coffee.

This grinder looks lovely too, if that's not shallow to say! Must check James Hoffman's review.

Hoffmann's review was rather scathing to say the least. I don't think it would fit my needs since I mainly brew light roasts via pour over. I could get one of they release a new product with improved burrs but my current Baratza Virtuoso will do the job for a while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

Lads currently using coffee pods want to get a machine for christmas one that is easy to clean and use ideally around 300euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Nolars wrote: »
    Lads currently using coffee pods want to get a machine for christmas one that is easy to clean and use ideally around 300euro.

I bought this 3 years ago, My kids use it daily now. Hasn't given any trouble since I first started using it. I bought it through Amazon Warehouse as used Very good condition. It was unopened when I got it, just box was battered a bit. Its currently £249 new.... Below is link to amazon warehouse, its £187

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DeLonghi-Magnifica-ESAM-4200-S-Silver/dp/B001EOMZ5E/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1V71AF6EQMSUU&dchild=1&keywords=delonghi+bean+to+cup&m=A2OAJ7377F756P&qid=1606043617&s=warehouse-deals&sprefix=delonghi+%2Cwarehouse-deals%2C176&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭bamayang

Coffee noob here, wondering could anyone give me some advise:
    Want to buy my wife a nice coffee machine for Xmas. She drinks a cup every morning before work and then we usually have a couple of cups over the weekend. More so when we have visitors and make a pot for 4 or 5 people. That’s about the extent of the demand. Don’t really like Nespresso machines or the coffee from them.

I had looked at the Sage Barista machine B2C, Because it looks so cool. but I feel it is designed more serious coffee people than us. It would be wasted on us.
    Then I came across the Sage Precision brewer and thought it might be a good compromise. The James guy did a YouTube review and seemed very positive.

Anyone any thoughts on best bet?

Sage SDC450BSS the Precision Brewer Coffee Maker https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079TTDVCD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_LjMUFbTPGN2SZ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

When did Ponaire start charging for postage??

When did Ponaire start charging for postage??

Around 6 weeks back.

mad m wrote: »
    Around 6 weeks back.

Well that’s me gone as a customer. Shame too. Coffee is decent

Well that’s me gone as a customer. Shame too. Coffee is decent

Ah don’t be hasty. They and all others are under extreme pressure to survive.

mad m wrote: »
    Ah don’t be hasty. They and all others are under extreme pressure to survive.

Ah there’s better coffee out there that requires you to buy less than €50 worth.

I was buying a kilo of coffee. Not like I was just buying 250g and expecting free shipping.

I think a kilo should be rewarded with free shipping.

• Advertisement

Picked up 4 bags of Velo Tandem in Aldi.

Decent coffee for €4 a bag, albeit the bag is 200g.

So still supporting Irish.

There's an Indian coffee in a Pink pack from Velo that's lovely and juicy (French Press), my wife bought another bag of that, and one in an Orange bag which is from El Salvador which I'm looking forward to trying. Both in Aldi at the moment.

There's an Indian coffee in a Pink pack from Velo that's lovely and juicy (French Press), my wife bought another bag of that, and one in an Orange bag which is from El Salvador which I'm looking forward to trying. Both in Aldi at the moment.

Wasn’t in my local one earlier unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭DilD

Ah there’s better coffee out there that requires you to buy less than €50 worth.

I was buying a kilo of coffee. Not like I was just buying 250g and expecting free shipping.

I think a kilo should be rewarded with free shipping.

3fe do free shipping on orders over €20 which is a fair figure I think. A lot of roasteries now charging for shipping under €50, seems like a little high I think...

Take Square Mile in the UK for instance, you can get a bag delivered to Ireland for cheaper than Ponaire will deliver...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭M00lers

Anywhere I could link to my upcoming adverts.ie ad? Is that something thats allowed? Selling my ROK GC and accessories.

eventually made it to driftwood in Finglas

They have Upside and Ristretto beans for sale, got a bag of Upside Burundi and an americano and a latte

lovely place, nice coffee, will be back

Cheeky little link to my ad for a ROK Espresso Maker GC with tamper and naked portafilter.
    If this is against any rules I gladly remove..thanks.

https://www.adverts.ie/small-kitchen-appliances/rok-gc-espresso-maker-with-extra-bottomless-portafilter-and-wooden-tamper/22282251?notification=95d21fe2c341d8291dfdece9692451a4-1606480746

beautiful looking piece

why are you selling?

beautiful looking piece

why are you selling?

Got myself a La Pavoni so don't need it any longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

The most expensive “gift”.

The Xmas present for being an ambassador....tis well paid for.

557-E9-D6-B-A0-B5-4802-99-CB-3-D7-EC2-A080-AF.jpg

what is it? some pods?

beautiful looking piece

why are you selling?

It looks like a machine designed to ensure you get a cold cup of coffee.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,212 ✭✭✭893bet

what is it? some pods?

A single sleeve of ten pods......

adrian522 wrote: »
    :confused:
    It has lots of shiny metal and it's not electrically heated so the only heat input is from the the hot water you use so you would need to preheat the machine in the oven or something otherwise when you put the hot water in I would have thought all that metal would pull the heat of the water way down below the optimum exraction temperature of 93°.

• Advertisement

Any discount codes doing the rounds? Looking to get a clever dripper, filters and beans for a friend who's just got into speciality coffee. Would prefer to support Irish businesses. ta.

Bigbooty wrote: »
    Any discount codes doing the rounds? Looking to get a clever dripper, filters and beans for a friend who's just got into speciality coffee. Would prefer to support Irish businesses. ta.

Coffee angel have 10% off for their new shop with code NEWSHOP - they have a great price on clever dripper & filters too iirc. Free delivery over €20 I think.

Beans are top also!

Coffee angel have 10% off for their new shop with code NEWSHOP - they have a great price on clever dripper & filters too iirc. Free delivery over €20 I think.

Beans are top also!

Thanks. 49 euro for two bags with a brewer/filters is pretty good value.

I see velo have just announced a listing in Dunnes for their BMX single origin coffee - they seem to be really growing in the retail channels.

I see velo have just announced a listing in Dunnes for their BMX single origin coffee - they seem to be really growing in the retail channels.

I've a French press of the Indian in the pink bag from Aldi on the go here, its absolutely gorgeous.

Getting this quality coffee for this price is really good, especially from a German supermarket

• Advertisement

I've a French press of the Indian in the pink bag from Aldi on the go here, its absolutely gorgeous.

Getting this quality coffee for this price is really good, especially from a German supermarket

Yes, I mentioned elsewhere what a bargain I thought it was: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115637534&postcount=438

A lot of people should avoid it like the plague, though, as it wasn't roasted just 2 days ago, more like two months, so it can't really be any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭breeno

Is it still available or did you get it a few weeks ago when it first came out?

breeno wrote: »
    Is it still available or did you get it a few weeks ago when it first came out?

I actually don't know, I'm such a snob that I usually just ignore anything my wife brings into the house after the weekly shop, coffee wise :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

The whole bean of the Indian seems to be a hit, I got the last bag of whole bean in Finglas about a week ago stuffed in the back, and there was heaps of the ground coffee left.

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    The whole bean of the Indian seems to be a hit, I got the last bag of whole bean in Finglas about a week ago stuffed in the back, and there was heaps of the ground coffee left.

That's often the way with Velo stock - don't know why they don't put 66% whole bean / 33% ground in the boxes. Though it's like that with a lot of LIDL / Aldi products that are stocked like that e.g. chocolate (there is a box with 70% raspberry and 70% salted caramel and the raspberry is always left in plentiful supply). Could only see ground so I left it - wonder what price the BMX single origin will be in Dunnes, has anyone seen it yet?

That's often the way with Velo stock - don't know why they don't put 66% whole bean / 33% ground in the boxes. Though it's like that with a lot of LIDL / Aldi products that are stocked like that e.g. chocolate (there is a box with 70% raspberry and 70% salted caramel and the raspberry is always left in plentiful supply). Could only see ground so I left it - wonder what price the BMX single origin will be in Dunnes, has anyone seen it yet?

Judging by the video on their facebook, its taken in Charlestown, ill pop in later and have a look.

Stay well clear of the velo Brazil. I bought it as I needed beans to run through after cleaning my grinder. Brewed a cup for the craic and it tastes like burnt soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,848 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Does anyone know what beans circle k use?

I'm impressed enough to have gone and found a roaster in Germany who has it and will ship 3Kg for a landed price of €28.56 per kg, or €7.13 per 250g

Possibly an added advantage in that it would likely have a near 3 month fresher roast date.

Their standard int postage seems to be an amazing fixed €5 per order so I think I'll be giving them a go when I run low.

My research had me stumble upon a large wholesaler in Germany, with an amazing range, selling by the 50-69 kg sack seemingly for ≈ €2.80 per kg :eek:

€3.99 for the Velo BMX in Dunnes, someone checked for me. Seriously good value that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement