Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life is too short for bad coffee - The Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

looking for a bit of advice,

for coffee at home i was mainly using a Fellow Duo, http://fellowproducts.com/duo/, and a traditional french press. i have a reasonable grinder.

the french press is gone to the coffeehouse in the sky after a drop in the sink. was thinking of replacing with a chemex or hario or similar.

any recommendations on what to go for/where to get?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

v60 is pretty good, cheap and prduces great coffee. Aeropress is another good one.

As you say Chemex is there, looks great. Also an option would be the Kalita Wave, but I find the filters hard to get hold of or else expensive.

I currently use V60 or filter and Aeropress for travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

mossym wrote: »
    looking for a bit of advice,

for coffee at home i was mainly using a Fellow Duo, http://fellowproducts.com/duo/, and a traditional french press. i have a reasonable grinder.

the french press is gone to the coffeehouse in the sky after a drop in the sink. was thinking of replacing with a chemex or hario or similar.

any recommendations on what to go for/where to get?

I'm a big fan of the chemex but it takes time and a steady pour to produce a good cup. I have a clever coffee dripper which comes on holidays with me. Gives you the clean cup you expect from a filter paper brew without the requirement of a slow steady pour. Its a good step up from the French press and pretty hard to break as its made of plastic. Looks like a few Irish sellers around. Will set you back €25 and will produce 2 cups at a time :

https://shop.3fe.com/product/clever-coffee-dripper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Installed mecoffee PID into silvia today, fun to play around with in the app. Installation took nearly 2 hours though between taking the machine apart and installing he PID...apparently it should take 'roughly 45 mins'!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Bought a bag of beans from Two Fifty in rathmines. No prices on the bags, but when I went to pay it was €13. A bit excessive I thought but I'll give it a go.

The bag was roasted on August 22nd. To my mind if you are going to charge those prices you should be getting beans that are fresher than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Same story with Urbanity - it was a little pricier than I would have liked and the beans were maybe a week old. I still enjoyed them but when a 250g bag goes over say, 9-10 euro, I start to feel a bit iffy about buying them regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Really enjoying the Las perla coffee. It's mild and very smooth. A bit pricey but was worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Which shop is considered best value for buying decent beans in Dublin? Preferably nearish to city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Any advice on a travel mug to buy for work. Work gave me one but like everything else they provide for free it's cheap, plastic and inadequate.

Keep cups seem good. The free one I got from pact works well. I don't use it that often though as I don't drive to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

I got one of the coffee angel branded zojirushi mugs. It's fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

I have never tasted tea or coffee, never wanted to drink either, am I in the minority or is it more common than I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Tried this from Bonaire Gugi Highlands Natural Honey at 11€ for 250g. Very sweet espresso. Bit too plain in milk based drinks. Really nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Amanda.ie wrote: »
    I have never tasted tea or coffee, never wanted to drink either, am I in the minority or is it more common than I think?

Freak!

You're missing out.

That said you're not the first person I've come across of late who doesn't drink either.

But that said yes you most definately are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

My sister and my cousin don't drink tea or coffee either. I always tell them they're missing out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Can't knock it unless you try it.

My wife goes one further.she doesn't even drink alcohol.only herbal tea....and buttermilk :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

My wife goes one further.she doesn't even drink alcohol.only herbal tea....and buttermilk :eek:

She doesn't drink alcohol?!

She can't be trusted. Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

She doesn't drink alcohol?!
    drinking buttermilk all the week, whiskey on a sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Daughter back from a 7 week tour of Central America. Went on a coffee plantation tour. Brought this back. Had no grinder so nice people in sister Sadie grinded it for me. Lovely coffee, but I nearly fell out of chair when she said it cost $20.

image_zpsuwek3qyj.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Finally bought an Aeropress, I had been in a *no spend* mode for a long time and couldn't justify even the low cost of an aeropress. Made 2 coffees yesterday with it and it was a revelation. I had perfected my moka pot brew (took an age to get right!), but this was better and so much easier. Looking forward to trying different Aeropress methods now!

PS. Picked it up for 35.99 in argos, which seemed a reasonable price since it included filters, stirrer, measuring spoon etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Get yourself a stainless filter for it next. Great value at €20

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Get yourself a stainless filter for it next. Great value at €20

Enjoy!

I haven't seen those, Are they commonly available?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I haven't seen those, Are they commonly available?

Amazon or if you want quick try coffee angel or clement & pekoe

Bought a decaf coffee today from Badger & Dod0 for my v60.
    I'll let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Would be interested in this - would love to drink coffee in the evening. Does decaff still have very small amounts of caffeine? I would be concerned it might still interfere with my sleep (and I love my sleep :D). Don't know much (read: anything!) about it to be honest.

Would be interested in this - would love to drink coffee in the evening. Does decaff still have very small amounts of caffeine? I would be concerned it might still interfere with my sleep (and I love my sleep :D). Don't know much (read: anything!) about it to be honest.

the caffine is striped out of it. its worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

How did you find it?

J_E wrote: »
    How did you find it?

I went into their website, browsed through their coffee and spotted it ;)

Sorry couldn't resist!

it's in the post to me. I'll probably get it tomorrow and will let you know.
    Find them slow on shipping. I ordered Monday morning and still don't have it.

• Advertisement

Had the b&d fairy floss this morning. Really nice coffee. strong with good after taste

Advertisement