Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold shoe care product that has now damaged shoes.

Options
  • 17-02-2016 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭

Flatmate is going nuts.

He bought new shoes and was recommended a care product by the sales assistant.

He has just used it on the shoes and its changed the whole look of them.

Has he any comeback with the store.

I think he should have read the instructions but not 100% sure!

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Did he follow the instructions or just wing it? I suppose it depends if the damage was caused by the product being applied incorrectly or if it would have occurred regardless of what way he applied it, ie the product wasn't suitable for the shoes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Toots wrote: »
    Did he follow the instructions or just wing it? I suppose it depends if the damage was caused by the product being applied incorrectly or if it would have occurred regardless of what way he applied it, ie the product wasn't suitable for the shoes.

He was told in the shop that this was the thing to use so stuck it on as per instructions on the jar. (He did read them it turns out).

The shoes are deco damaged now though. They were suede effect and now they look like polished leather..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

prinzeugen wrote: »
    He was told in the shop that this was the thing to use so stuck it on as per instructions on the jar. (He did read them it turns out).

The shoes are deco damaged now though. They were suede effect and now they look like polished leather..

Was it a water proofing product? Can do that on suede type stuff. A patch test is usually advised on label

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd definitely go back to the shop with them. AFAIK the only thing to use on suede comes in spray form (at least the only thing I've ever been sold for suede is).

Does it mention anywhere on the jar "not suitable for suede"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Let me guess - Nixwax or some other waterproofing product?

From the back of my tube;
    "Note: May darken leather. Test on a hidden area first. Waterproofing Wax will convert nubuck to a smooth waxy finish."

No harm in complaining to the store. At the very least there was a failure in communication that could be corrected for the future. Depending on what he was/wasn't told he may convince them to replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Treadhead wrote: »
    Let me guess - Nixwax or some other waterproofing product?

From the back of my tube;
    "Note: May darken leather. Test on a hidden area first. Waterproofing Wax will convert nubuck to a smooth waxy finish."

No harm in complaining to the store. At the very least there was a failure in communication that could be corrected for the future. Depending on what he was/wasn't told he may convince them to replace them.

Its Ecco shoe stuff for Ecco shoes..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you mentioned a jar..... none of the Ecco care products in jars on this website are suitable for suede shoes, the 'Revive Cream' jars are all different colours and all are described (on the cap) as 'High pigment cream for reviving smooth leather' and the jar of 'Wax Oil' is: 'Suitable for heavy oiled leather .... ', clearly not suitable for suede or Nubuck.

What your flatmate should be using is the black can that looks like a small can of Lynx deoderant, it's called 'Nubuck & Sudede Conditioner', available in black, coffee or transparent.

http://shopeu.ecco.com/ie/en-ie/mens/shoe-care

I always get the impression in my local Ecco shop that most of the sales assistants are just passing through - student types.

Advertisement