Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cygnus Central (Lair Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Not following wrestling these days but Lith pointed me at that jump and i was amazed, thought crowd reaction was poor too.

Yeah the crowd reaction left a lot to be desired..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Found it strange, i ended up watching more wrestling clips to see had this sort of stunt become normal but doesn't seem so..

Mankind Hell In A Cell '98, now that was a fall that had everything, hell even the commentary was spot on.

Some of the injuries Mick Foley had after the match
    King of the Ring 1998, June 28. In the unforgettable Hell in the Cell match, Mick suffered a concussion, dislocated his left shoulder, bruised some ribs, internal bleeding, numerous puncture wounds, and dislocated his jaw, which was put in place during the match. And various reports state that Mick lost between one and a half teeth to three teeth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Jaysis :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Not following wrestling these days but Lith pointed me at that jump and i was amazed, thought crowd reaction was poor too.
    It was shockingly poor. Even the amount attending events and other shows seems small in comparison to the height of the Attitude Era.

• Advertisement

I was under the impression it was as popular as ever :o

Yeah it's scary looking at it, this part of the match's wikipedia page makes interesting reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998_Hell_in_a_Cell_match#The_match

KKkitty wrote: »
    It was shockingly poor. Even the amount attending events and other shows seems small in comparison to the height of the Attitude Era.

Yet they piped in cheers for Roman Reigns, yet not even a HOLY **** chant after Shane had come crashing down from 20ft above :rolleyes:

I think Linda McMahon was partly responsible for it becoming a PG era. She was running for a seat in the senate and didn't want the WWE to be an organisation that was filled with blood and debauchery. Intergender matches were pretty much done away with too.

Read the wiki there, brutal..

• Advertisement

I think Linda McMahon was partly responsible for it becoming a PG era. She was running for a seat in the senate and didn't want the WWE to be an organisation that was filled with blood and debauchery. Intergender matches were pretty much done away with too.

I think the company was heading in a PG direction anyways, regardless of Linda McMahon's Senate run, then again this was a company associated with steroid use running rampant, yet violence and a splash of blood here and there, oh no best clean that up.. Then again I can where WWE were coming from, kids are cash cows to the company, whereas the older fans were given the proverbial McMahon salute...
    Read the wiki there, brutal..

Yeah, it was pretty brutal to say the least.

Tooth in his nose?! :pac:

Tooth in his nose?! :pac:

Well falling 16ft will do that, 22ft if the angle of the fall is included.

A McMahon genuinely went for senate?.

If they can't get back to it's best at the Attitude Era it needs to be a bit more hardcore at least. If you took the suplexes out of Brock Lesnar's match versus Dean Ambrose there was nothing to see. TNA is their only competition and I don't rate TNA.

Yep they did. Another Mick Foley fact is that when his ear was almost ripped off the ropes had been tightened before the match but he wasn't sure how tight they actually were. It was in Germany and he tried to get the doctors to sew his ear back together but the language barrier meant they didn't understand him.

Yeah, ran twice, and failed both times if my memory serves me correctly.
    If they can't get back to it's best at the Attitude Era it needs to be a bit more hardcore at least. If you took the suplexes out of Brock Lesnar's match versus Dean Ambrose there was nothing to see. TNA is their only competition and I don't rate TNA.

The Attitude Era, much like Guns N' Roses in the mid/late 80's was lightning in a bottle, never to be duplicated, it's a weird comparison I know, but that's how I see it... Brock's matches would be very boring if he took out the German Suplexes, then again he is an amateur wrestler, I'm sure he could do that.. TNA is a sinking ship, slowly going down, it'll go the way of WCW eventually.. WWE right now actually have the best roster they've had in years, a certain someone just needs to step down, let Hunter & Stephanie and Shane run the wrestling side.. Also hiring writers who actually know how to write decent/good/great/memorable storylines is key, oh and following continuity is also key.

WWE have competition from the inside, Triple H and NXT, sometimes it's better than actually watching the main roster show.. Hell the recent NXT TakeOver Dallas > Wrestlemania 32, and NXT didn't have as long, and they've competition outside in Ring Of Honour & New Japan Pro Wrestling, there are alternatives, though search you must..

Anyways, sorry for the long answer, it's just talking to a female who follows wrestling is something that doesn't happen often.

Ker-rist haha funny stuff. Mick is a beast in fairness..

I'm 35 next month and remember staying up watching WWF as it was back then when I was around 15 and loving it. My first match that I saw was Andre the Giant versus Hulk Hogan when I was 8 or 9. I still admire what wrestlers put themselves through to entertain the fans. It's not all kayfabe.

See, that's what put me off eventually, too much action outside the ring.. It amused me for a bit but wore thin quickly and a three hour sunday morning show with maybe half an hours actual fight time got on my nerves..

• Advertisement

Oh no it's definitely not all kayfabe, legitimate injuries can and do happen.. I used to have those DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME disclaimers memorized.. Not to mention the constant travelling involved, working 24/7, 365 days a year, it'd leave you drained.

Without a doubt! Edge and Daniel Bryan having to retire early because of their injuries is enough to show it's not all fake. I just held out to give ye Lairlings my 6,000th post :D

Those were 2 retirements that hit me hard, like tears in the eye hard :(, was kinda when Edge had to retire, either that or ya know stuck in a wheelchair, he made the right choice, plus now he's a dad of 2, has a lovely wife in Beth Phoenix.. Daniel Bryan, you knew due to his smash mouth (for lack of a better description) style of wrestling, would have to retire sooner rather than later, was hoping it'd be later, but alas it doesn't work out that way..

Mexican luchadore Perro Aguayo Jr, that was a case of a few simple moves gone wrong, very wrong :(
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perro_Aguayo_Jr.#Death

Congrats on #6000 :D

There's some great athletes there i have to say. For well muscled folk the choreography is graceful at times. Always been impressed by them..

It's only taken about 5 years to get to 6,000 posts :D WWE and all its incarnations are like Marmite, you like it or you don't. As fans we may know what's best for business but whatever happens we still watch it. I like WhatCulture and WTTV on YouTube for their backstage gossip too. After Chyna died they did lovely tributes to her. Still feels weird thinking she's dead.

Whatculture's WTF Moments and the YouTube channel is how I keep up, like i said 3 hours is a lot of time for a television show. Yeah feels weird that Chyna is dead, she definitely deserves to be in the Hall Of Fame, whether she goes in or not is another matter entirely...

Also WWE are finally going to clear up THAT rumour about Stephanie McMahon pretty soon..

What rumour?

What rumour?

Ooh you don't know, well here's a quick catch up link

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/macho-man-stephanie-mcmahon-rumor/

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    What rumour?

Ooh you don't know, well here's a quick catch up link

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/macho-man-stephanie-mcmahon-rumor/
    I've seen some online articles relating to this alright. If she was 17 what age was he then?

• Advertisement

IDK..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement