Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold German PS4 at Gamestop

Options
  • 18-02-2016 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I bought a ps4 today at Gamestop in Cork. When I set it up at home I found that there was a two pronged plug power cable supplied with it that doesn't fit in the socket unless you get a piece of plastic to stick in the top hole to get it to slot in. I didn't have an adapter and there wasn't one supplied with it. Strangely there was also a uk and Ireland style 3 pronged power cable too. I looked everywhere on the ps4 and this 3 pronged power supply cable is not compatible with it. I then saw all the instructions were only in German. It's not hard to set up anyway but that's not the issue. I'm annoyed I wasn't sold a uk and Ireland ps4 that would work out of the box. The extra incompatible power cable was very odd. To add insult to injury the wifi is extremely weak on it. It took hours to download the system updates and now I can't even log into the playstation network. I think not being able to log in is a common problem. I'm strongly thinking of taking it back to gamestop to ask for a uk and Ireland model. The whole thing just seems so shoddy. Am I being reasonable? It does work but is it safe and I think don't need any worry and I shouldn't have to make a concession like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

They're legally obliged to supply you with a UK 3 pin plug is my understanding. Bring it back & demand a fully usable Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭hearmehearye

Take it back and get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Bringing it back would not be unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Don't want to start again... but... Gamestop! really!

Take it back to them and get a refund. Then go to Arogs/Smyths and get one there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

logik wrote: »
    Don't want to start again... but... Gamestop! really!

Take it back to them and get a refund. Then go to Arogs/Smyths and get one there instead.

WHAT HE SAID....^^^^^ Would rather play a sega mega drive then buy off them cowboys. Surprised they are not running in the 2016 general election ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

was this brand new or 2nd hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

Skerries wrote: »
    was this brand new or 2nd hand?

It was brand new. When I go in I hope I don't get some dude who'll look at me like I've two heads and gives me the spiel that it's all compatible and what's my problem and there must be something wrong with me for thinking it's an issue. I've had difficulties with uppity sales people before.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Lusocu wrote: »
    It was brand new. When I go in I hope I don't get some dude who'll look at me like I've two heads and gives me the spiel that it's all compatible and what's my problem and there must be something wrong with me for thinking it's an issue. I've had difficulties with uppity sales people before.
    They shouldnt be selling electrical goods from there without informing you and supplying and convertor at least,so you are completely in your rights for a replacement without question..
    I doubt the salesperson knew it was German btw,they just sell what they have..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

WIFI is brutal on all PS4s so dont expect that to be fixed.

Hmmmmm. My spidey senses are tingling here, you 100% it was new OP ? Mix ups can happen for sure but when you opened the box was everything in plastic wrap , nothing installed on the console if you set it up etc?

Either way get it back to them, as others have said they are required to have a 3 prong plug on it , this also applies if you by online from outside Ireland as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    Clearly he just got a unit meant for the German market.

OP - the cable is not a unique power cable, what does the UK/IRE cable they supplied look like?

Just bring the box back to GameStop and replace. Or just buy a power cable for 99p on eBay if your lazy

Almost surely the case, but also a small chance it could have been a used console mistakenly picked up from the stock room. No harm to check that with the OP.

EDIT: Also worth asking on the off chance if it came in a white box with graded product written on it, highly unlikely though.

Hmmmmm. My spidey senses are tingling here, you 100% it was new OP ? Mix ups can happen for sure but when you opened the box was everything in plastic wrap , nothing installed on the console if you set it up etc?

Either way get it back to them, as others have said they are required to have a 3 prong plug on it , this also applies if you by online from outside Ireland as far as I am aware.

All the wrapping was there and it looked new. I found it odd that a UK 3 prong plug power cable was included which was was not compatible with the PS4 inside the box. The power cable included needed an adapter which wasn't included. It's like a Frankenstein box of parts. The whole experience of buying a PS4 has been ruined for me. It's very unprofessional. I want a PS4 that's intended for this country. It's really bugging me that I have to stick an adapter on the end of my power lead. I rang the shop today. The guy said he wouldn't replace it for me. I would not have bought the PS4 if I was told that it was a foreign model that I would need to buy an adapter for. The idea of it just ruins the experience for me. I wanted everything to be smooth and as intended now I'm supposed to make do. He said I could ring back on Saturday and speak to the manager.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Clearly he just got a unit meant for the German market.

OP - the cable is not a unique power cable, what does the UK/IRE cable they supplied look like?

Just bring the box back to GameStop and replace. Or just buy a power cable for 99p on eBay if your lazy

The UK/IRE cable has three slots that's supposed to go into the back of the ps4 but there's no compatible port there. The foreign one has two slots and this does fit into the back of the ps4 and has two prongs that are supposed to go into the mains which I'm supposed to use an adapter for which wasn't included. They said they'd give me an adapter if I called in. If they offered me an adapter because it was a foreign model on the day I bought it I would not have handed over my money. I'm seriously wound up over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I'd be marching in there tomorrow with it all boxed up, leaving it on the counter and demanding a replacement or refund. Don't back down and if you have to cause a scene, do cause one! Ask for the manager. I mean we don't go into electrical stores and buy something only to get home and open it and its a European plug or for the German market.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭mrm

Hi Lusoco,

Ring Consumer Affairs 01 4025555 and open up a case with them before you go into Gamestop. Write down all the advice CA give you so you can quote it back to anyone in the shop who resists sorting this out to your satisfaction:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/

JIdontknow wrote: »
    I'd be marching in there tomorrow with it all boxed up, leaving it on the counter and demanding a replacement or refund. Don't back down and if you have to cause a scene, do cause one! Ask for the manager. I mean we don't go into electrical stores and buy something only to get home and open it and its a European plug or for the German market.

I'll have to ring on Saturday and speak to the manager. I'm embarrassed about going in. I don't like doing this type of thing. But if I have to go in to make my argument I will. My fears were realised today when they were behaving as if I shouldn't be thinking anything was wrong. In fact it's ruined this thing that I'd been looking forward to buying. They must have sold more of those foreign units already. I imagine most people would choose to buy it elsewhere if they were informed it was a foreign model that needed an adapter. I'm being made to feel as if I'm neurotic and my complaint is not valid. I should have been told about it and I would have gone to Smyths instead or asked for a UK/Irish model. Now I'm just supposed to accept it and be reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

I'll have to ring on Saturday and speak to the manager. I'm embarrassed about going in. I don't like doing this type of thing. But if I have to go in to make my argument I will. My fears were realised today when they were behaving as if I shouldn't be thinking anything was wrong. In fact it's ruined this thing that I'd been looking forward to buying. They must have sold more of those foreign units already. I imagine most people would choose to buy it elsewhere if they were informed it was a foreign model that needed an adapter. I'm being made to feel as if I'm neurotic and my complaint is not valid. I should have been told about it and I would have gone to Smyths instead or asked for a UK/Irish model. Now I'm just supposed to accept it and be reasonable.

I'd call head office tomorrow (it mightn't be open Saturday, probably open business hours Monday - Friday) and explain and say you called the store and were told basically tough luck, and that's not acceptable to you. Then go into the store Saturday, you've nothing to be embarrassed about, you bought it in good faith new.

JIdontknow wrote: »
    I'd call head office tomorrow (it mightn't be open Saturday, probably open business hours Monday - Friday) and explain and say you called the store and were told basically tough luck, and that's not acceptable to you. Then go into the store Saturday, you've nothing to be embarrassed about, you bought it in good faith new.

+353 76 680 5877 is the number I think.

It's total BS they should not be selling a german sku here stock mix up or not , also if we want to be super anal about it , he/she could argue there were no english instructions included but that would also be a point ;)

I spoke with the manager this evening in Gamestop. They conceded in the end to my argument that I was sold the product under false pretenses and gave me a refund. Apparantly there's a shortage of UK/Ire PS4s all over, so they had to order in Nordic models. Imagine trying to resell this second hand to a person down the line and saying to them it's an import but sure it's grand with this adapter here lad. It might raise doubt in their mind with other compatility issues with games and software downloads. I think it's something that should be mentioned to the buyer. For me the harmony of the experience was destroyed knowing I had to use an adapter. I needed everything to be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Fair play on getting a refund, I know how you feel, all you wanted to do was chill with a few new games and all the rigmarole just ruins the relaxed spirit of it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I spoke with the manager this evening in Gamestop. They conceded in the end to my argument that I was sold the product under false pretenses and gave me a refund. Apparantly there's a shortage of UK/Ire PS4s all over, so they had to order in Nordic models. Imagine trying to resell this second hand to a person down the line and saying to them it's an import but sure it's grand with this adapter here lad. It might raise doubt in their mind with other compatility issues with games and software downloads. I think it's something that should be mentioned to the buyer. For me the harmony of the experience was destroyed knowing I had to use an adapter. I needed everything to be right.

You keep banging on about needing an "adapter", but it's a standard C7/C8 "figure-8" power plug.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Glad you got it sorted in the end,its a shame you had to argue for it though as it could have been avoided by them simply informing you before you handed over the dosh..

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    You keep banging on about needing an "adapter", but it's a standard C7/C8 "figure-8" power plug.

No. I just googled a pic of that power plug you mentioned. I did not receive that plug in the PS4 pack. I got a two pronged European plug and very oddly a power cable with a three pronged plug that had no port in the PS4 for it to slot into. It had no purpose being there. I dont know if Gamestop or Sony are responsible for that extra incompatible plug but it's very shoddy being there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

No. I just googled a pic of that power plug you mentioned. I did not receive that plug in the PS4 pack. I got a two pronged European plug and very oddly a power cable with a three pronged plug that had no port in the PS4 for it to slot into. It had no purpose being there. I dont know if Gamestop or Sony are responsible for that extra incompatible plug but it's very shoddy being there.

All PS4 consoles, regardless of where it is purchased have the same power port in the back of the console. The poster who told you that you needed a "figure of 8" plug was correct. You could have got one in any pound shop.

bigphil2 wrote: »
    Glad you got it sorted in the end,its a shame you had to argue for it though as it could have been avoided by them simply informing you before you handed over the dosh..

I've been calling around Gamestops all over Cork today having conversations with managers about this. Apparantly they ran short of PS4s around Christmas and they had to order in Nordic PS4s to cover the shortage and they still have a surplus of those they're selling off. In Gamestop Wilton Cork I was told that they are very careful to inform customers so they know what they are getting, that the PS4s are imports that do require an adapter to work. In Gamestop Midleton Cork it's the same situation. I called into Smyths as well for good measure. I've arranged to have the shops call me when they get in the PS4 model that I will be happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

All PS4 consoles, regardless of where it is purchased have the same power port in the back of the console. The poster who told you that you needed a "figure of 8" plug was correct. You could have got one in any pound shop.

And he shouldn't have needed to.

I said that the plug included was a two pronged plug. 2 prongs. It's shoddy and unprofessional. I'm not prepared to accept what looks like a box of parts and not all the equipment I need to run it when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I've been calling around Gamestops all over Cork today having conversations with managers about this. Apparantly they ran short of PS4s around Christmas and they had to order in Nordic PS4s to cover the shortage and they still have a surplus of those they're selling off. In Gamestop Wilton Cork I was told that they are very careful to inform customers so they know what they are getting, that the PS4s are imports that do require an adapter to work. In Gamestop Midleton Cork it's the same situation. I called into Smyths as well for good measure. I've arranged to have the shops call me when they get in the PS4 model that I will be happy with.

Why would you even be wasting your own time and the shops doing that?

The PS4 is completely region free - what difference does a Nordic unit make?

It's the exact same console?

Change the plug and language and get on with it - as once you go to start off an account on it, it automatically reverts to an Irish account...

You can buy a PS4 in NYC, bring it home, throw out the cable and pop in a cable from a sky box and off it would go into an Irish account...

Fieldog wrote: »
    Why would you even be wasting your own time and the shops doing that?

The PS4 is completely region free - what difference does a Nordic unit make?

It's the exact same console?

Change the plug and language and get on with it - as once you go to start off an account on it, it automatically reverts to an Irish account...

You can buy a PS4 in NYC, bring it home, throw out the cable and pop in a cable from a sky box and off it would go into an Irish account...

I was also hoping to find the model I wanted. As a side effect it's not a waste of the shops time because maybe now they will remember to tell people it's a foreign model that requires an adapter. My ps4 package was shoddy and unprofessional with surplus parts with no function. No thanks.

It doesn't matter. Don't bother. Im fully aware of all this. It's neuroticism/OCD I admit openly. I want the UK Irish model with everything included that I need to run it without the need for an adapter and that is that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if they knew it was not going to have the correct cable before xmas they should have supplied them themselves as I'd say there was a few kids on xmas day hoping to play with their new PS4 only to realise that he had brought the version from Santa's own country instead

Advertisement