Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sold German PS4 at Gamestop

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭eggy81

Skerries wrote: »
    if they knew it was not going to have the correct cable before xmas they should have supplied them themselves as I'd say there was a few kids on xmas day hoping to play with their new PS4 only to realise that he had brought the version from Santa's own country instead

Simply stick something in the top prong of the docket to open the live/neutral ports and bang in the two pronged lead. Simples. These are double isolated and don't have an earth. The earth pin is plastic and simply opens the socket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Skerries wrote: »
    if they knew it was not going to have the correct cable before xmas they should have supplied them themselves as I'd say there was a few kids on xmas day hoping to play with their new PS4 only to realise that he had brought the version from Santa's own country instead

I've probably over a dozen of those cables lying around the house. It's hardly that big a deal.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Why would you even be wasting your own time and the shops doing that?

The PS4 is completely region free - what difference does a Nordic unit make?

It's the exact same console?

Change the plug and language and get on with it - as once you go to start off an account on it, it automatically reverts to an Irish account...

You can buy a PS4 in NYC, bring it home, throw out the cable and pop in a cable from a sky box and off it would go into an Irish account...

He didn't go to the US and buy one and fly it home though , he bought one in an irish b&m store and shouldn't have to go changing plugs and languages, granted those are easy to sort out but the point being he shouldn't have to

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Op I would recommend going to argos and buying a ps4 for cheaper than gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

Why are people defending Gamestop here? Just do this or that, right yeah, its a simple fix, but you shouldn't have to do anything. They clearly knew they were euro consoles and so slipped in an extra UK/IRE cable and said nothing, that cable turned out to not even be the correct cable. While not the worst thing in the world, its not OK and he/she is well entitled to a refund. Fair play OP. As others have said, get one in Argos, it'll be one that was assigned to be sold in Ireland and you'll get a better deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

mrm wrote: »
    Hi Lusoco,

Ring Consumer Affairs 01 4025555 and open up a case with them before you go into Gamestop. Write down all the advice CA give you so you can quote it back to anyone in the shop who resists sorting this out to your satisfaction:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/
    According to Citizens Information safety of electrical products:
    You are entitled to expect that any electrical item that you buy in Ireland comes with a 3 pin plug. If it does not the item may be considered "not fit for its purpose" as per the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980.
    It was up to GameStop to remedy the plug issue properly. They should have told the OP at the point of sale, and provided the right cable (not an adaptor). Even if a replacement is cheap and easy, it's not up to the OP to do it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Straight Edge Punk

Lusocu wrote: »
    I said that the plug included was a two pronged plug. 2 prongs. It's shoddy and unprofessional. I'm not prepared to accept what looks like a box of parts and not all the equipment I need to run it when I get home.

You got an EU plug rather than a UK one,That's all. Id say you have 5+ of the plug you needed lying around the house.

I was also hoping to find the model I wanted. As a side effect it's not a waste of the shops time because maybe now they will remember to tell people it's a foreign model that requires an adapter. My ps4 package was shoddy and unprofessional with surplus parts with no function. No thanks.

It doesn't matter. Don't bother. Im fully aware of all this. It's neuroticism/OCD I admit openly. I want the UK Irish model with everything included that I need to run it without the need for an adapter and that is that.

It didn't need an adapter, that's the point. It needed a plug you could find in the back of a sky box or even a PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Nobody should have to look for a plug when they buy a console, regardless of how many may be lying around the house. It smacks of shoddiness and completely unprofessional in a dedicated game shop. That's something that gets forgotten they are a DEDICATED game shop so of all the places it should not happen, it's there. But Gamestop be Gamestop. If I bought a console there I'd expect a UK machine/plug with English instructions, and fully expect to take it back for a refund if it didn't.

Corholio wrote: »
    Nobody should have to look for a plug when they buy a console, regardless of how many may be lying around the house. It smacks of shoddiness and completely unprofessional in a dedicated game shop. That's something that gets forgotten they are a DEDICATED game shop so of all the places it should not happen, it's there. But Gamestop be Gamestop. If I bought a console there I'd expect a UK machine/plug with English instructions, and fully expect to take it back for a refund if it didn't.

Call me strange but I'd rather just use a plug I have at home instead of packing everything up and driving back to the shop. I completely agree with your point and I am in no way defending Gamestop but it just seems the person is making a big deal over a relatively minor thing. The console itself was brand new with no issues.

He could have avoided all this and saved himself money by just buying it in Argos. Never ever buy from Gamestop.

P.S I know a tiny issue like this certainly wouldn't ruin the experience of buying a ps4 if it had happened to me way back when I bought mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

Bought ps4 pre Xmas in gamestop. They told me at purchase it was a European console, they included three point plug and said warranty was same etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Try trade those consoles into cex or gamestop and I guarantee you that they will refuse it as it's an imported console

Try trade those consoles into cex or gamestop and I guarantee you that they will refuse it as it's an imported console

They would have no way of knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

They wouldn't be refused in CeX aslong as it has the correct figure of 8 plug there's no way they would know unless you told them its not a question they have to ask.

If you were using the lead you got like a two prong with an adapter to Irish 3 pin.

I have had stuff refused in cex as no Irish plug they said

If you were using the lead you got like a two prong with an adapter to Irish 3 pin.

I have had stuff refused in cex as no Irish plug they said

You don't need to use the two prong lead with an adaptor. You just replace it with a standard three prong plug lead - just make sure it has the same amp fuse for peace of mind. We operate on the same voltage as Germany. It's not like using an American PS4 in ireland.

You don't need to use the two prong lead with an adaptor. You just replace it with a standard three prong plug lead - just make sure it has the same amp fuse for peace of mind. We operate on the same voltage as Germany. It's not like using an American PS4 in ireland.

I am aware of that but unless you have bought an Irish three prong cable cex will not take it. If you buy an Irish cable they will take it but without its a no go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Regardless of the plug CeX usually need to format the console upon testing which when it reverts to the default German settings it will fail.

I am aware of that but unless you have bought an Irish three prong cable cex will not take it. If you buy an Irish cable they will take it but without its a no go

So it isn't an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

Regardless of the plug CeX usually need to format the console upon testing which when it reverts to the default German settings it will fail.

It doesn't revert the German default settings, on first boot or after a format, the first question asked on screen is to choose a language. What you choose here becomes the default system language. CEX would choose English and move on, never knowing where the console came from.

This is a total non-issue in fairness. Sony have a factory that churns out identical PS4s that are boxed and distributed to many countries. It's the exact same console sent everywhere in Europe. At some point of the distribution chain, a certain amount of consoles are marked to be delivered to IE/UK and a three prong power lead is put into those boxes along with English instruction leaflet, a two prong is put into the others that are marked for mainland Europe and an instruction leaflet in a different language. That is the only difference between the boxes. The consoles are identical whether you buy in in IE, FR, DE or whatever. Gamestop should have given OP a three prong lead and if they did, he/she would have been none the wiser as to where the console came from.

• Advertisement

So it isn't an issue at all.

there is an issue. as far as im aware if you have bought correct plug fair play they wont fail it on that but cex factory restore stuff BEFORE testing so if its a german console i guarantee they will make an issue of it.

there is an issue. as far as im aware if you have bought correct plug fair play they wont fail it on that but cex factory restore stuff BEFORE testing so if its a german console i guarantee they will make an issue of it.

And Mr. Bloat pointed out why that won't be an issue either.

lads I personally wouldnt have an issue with getting a german ps4 BUT gamestop should be informing people of this and providing the proper 3 pin cable to accompany the console. they are technically doing business correctly but at the same time as with a lot of their practices very shady.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭ASOT

I worked in CeX they won't be able to tell so your incorrect unfortunately. I do agree with you though they should be informing people, but like you I wouldn't cate myself.

lads I personally wouldnt have an issue with getting a german ps4 BUT gamestop should be informing people of this and providing the proper 3 pin cable to accompany the console. they are technically doing business correctly but at the same time as with a lot of their practices very shady.

Im sure the employee in Gamestop had no clue what plug was in the box when he sold it. It was probably a one off that stemmed from the factory, no fault on the part of Gamestop in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The Internet is crawling with very bright people who didn't know you could charge a PS4 controller with your phone charger/cable.

Its not therefore exactly shocking that the OP didn't realise that the cable he needed was so commonly and easily available which then unfortunately magnified the actual scale of the issue.

Also an earlier poster made a great point that if it was Christmas morning and there was no working power cable to hand it would be a very crap situation.

GameStop are not that likeable, or reasonably priced that I'd easily forgive them for being half-ar$ed and not buying the right cable, including it and warning customers that the console was perfect but with foreign instructions etc.

They were suiting themselves all the way so deserve the comeback of mismanaging their own dumb situation here......

PS I worked in Dell years ago and they had a constant issue with workers dumping the wrong countrys power cable/plug in the box when there was 19 international varieties available in the totes by the lines (often really similar in appearance).... Very easily done once per shift say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

Mango Joe wrote: »
    The Internet is crawling with very bright people who didn't know you could charge a PS4 controller with your phone charger/cable.

Its not therefore exactly shocking that the OP didn't realise that the cable he needed was so commonly and easily available which then unfortunately magnified the actual scale of the issue.

Also an earlier poster made a great point that if it was Christmas morning and there was no working power cable to hand it would be a very crap situation.

GameStop are not that likeable, or reasonably priced that I'd easily forgive them for being half-ar$ed and not buying the right cable, including it and warning customers that the console was perfect but with foreign instructions etc.

They were suiting themselves all the way so deserve the comeback of mismanaging their own dumb situation here......

PS I worked in Dell years ago and they had a constant issue with workers dumping the wrong countrys power cable/plug in the box when there was 19 international varieties available in the totes by the lines (often really similar in appearance).... Very easily done once per shift say.....

I'm not prepared to make any concessions for Gamestop or any retailer. Getting a new console is like a holy ritual and the harmony was obliterated by discovering that there were two power cables included, one requiring an adapter and the other completely without function in being not compatible with the port in the PS4. The console was not right for me. Logically I understand that it functions with an adapter or a common household 3 pin power cable. It felt wrong and I could not live with it. I needed everything to be right in the package which is what I would have got with a UK/Ire package. Knowing that it's a Nordic package even if Gamestop had successfully slipped in the correct power cable is enough to bother me. Had I known that I was getting a Nordic package when buying I wouldn't have handed over my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

A holy ritual? Harmony obliterated?
    Bit OTT imo,its a piece of tech. A fine one at that and i can understand someone being disappointed that the package wasnt exactly the way it should have been,id have returned it too. But the above makes it sound like it was some earth shattering soul destroying event! I prob would have been annoyed for a second,went back got a refund and if they didnt have the proper plug took my money elsewhere.

Different strokes for different folks and all that but a bit of perspective here could go a long way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

I'm not prepared to make any concessions for Gamestop or any retailer. Getting a new console is like a holy ritual and the harmony was obliterated by discovering that there were two power cables included, one requiring an adapter and the other completely without function in being not compatible with the port in the PS4. The console was not right for me. Logically I understand that it functions with an adapter or a common household 3 pin power cable. It felt wrong and I could not live with it. I needed everything to be right in the package which is what I would have got with a UK/Ire package. Knowing that it's a Nordic package even if Gamestop had successfully slipped in the correct power cable is enough to bother me. Had I known that I was getting a Nordic package when buying I wouldn't have handed over my money.

Don't think it's been mentioned yet but you could have replaced the plug itself with an Irish one in about 2.5 mins..... Do you have access to a working screwdriver?

But whatever, sounds like you're smoking something there to be honest..... Have lost all interest in your massively self-indulgent first world problem - Dude.

Also, I sincerely hope an actual problem never enters into your life, will probably hear the wails from my house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Lusocu

Mango Joe wrote: »
    Don't think it's been mentioned yet but you could have replaced the plug itself with an Irish one in about 2.5 mins..... Do you have access to a working screwdriver?

But whatever, sounds like you're smoking something there to be honest..... Have lost all interest in your massively self-indulgent first world problem - Dude.

Also, I sincerely hope an actual problem never enters into your life, will probably hear the wails from my house.

I did express my dissatisfaction in an overtly discriptive way in my last post. Fair enough. Slight injection of humour that didn't come across to you. But still based in some truth.

It's a first world problem we all have those, but it's important to me.

Advertisement