Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best deal for 13 yr old?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Looking to get our 13yr old set up on a network. He already has a handset (unlocked iPhone).

What's the best deal out there? Been a long time since I looked at mobile deals (I'm on Vodafone via work phone, wife is on Three).

I don't think I've ever seen a teenager actually use a phone for making phone calls, so I'm assuming it's all about the best data plans. He'll be managing the cost out of his pocket money, so we want to keep the payments as low as possible. Over time, we can switch to a different deal if he finds he's going over his allowances.

At the minute, we're veering towards the €15 Tesco prepay plan. Am I right in saying this gets unlimited calls, 250 texts (plus 6Gb data from the €15 "credit").

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DA7800

I'm with 3 at the moment and by topping up by €20 a month I get unlimited 3-to-3 calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data. There's a fair usage policy for all of course (for the data it's 15 gigabytes a month) but you'll never use that much. I also get to keep the €20 credit to use as I please.

That said, coverage in places can be spotty to say the least and you would really want to make sure that you have that as your main concern, I would imagine. Most of the PAYG plans have a decent amount of data.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭eamonnq

48months

http://48months.ie/membership-plans

The 15 euro a month one might suit best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭ZV Yoda

DA7800 wrote: »
    I'm with 3 at the moment and by topping up by €20 a month I get unlimited 3-to-3 calls, unlimited texts and unlimited data. There's a fair usage policy for all of course (for the data it's 15 gigabytes a month) but you'll never use that much. I also get to keep the €20 credit to use as I please.

That said, coverage in places can be spotty to say the least and you would really want to make sure that you have that as your main concern, I would imagine. Most of the PAYG plans have a decent amount of data.

Thx... the €20/mth for unlimited data seems great. Only downside is that there's no Mon-Fri free calls (except three to three)
    eamonnq wrote: »
    48months

http://48months.ie/membership-plans

The 15 euro a month one might suit best.
    A few boards posts suggesting there's a lot of loopholes & poor service. Have you found that?

ZV Yoda wrote: »
    A few boards posts suggesting there's a lot of loopholes & poor service. Have you found that?

I am not a heavy user of the phone, but have not had any problems with the service. 16year old son is on it as well though, and have not had any complaints from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

48 Data speeds will tend to be a lot lower than that of Threes. With three he'll have free 4G(if the iPhone is new enough).

For things like snapchatting his mates that will make a noticeable difference in usability.

6GB really isnt a lot for a teenager, if he watches 10hrs of youtube on his way too/from school or whatever in an entire month thats his allowance gone so the Unlimited "dont know dont care" benefit is strong.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    48 Data speeds will tend to be a lot lower than that of Threes. With three he'll have free 4G(if the iPhone is new enough).

For things like snapchatting his mates that will make a noticeable difference in usability.

6GB really isnt a lot for a teenager, if he watches 10hrs of youtube on his way too/from school or whatever in an entire month thats his allowance gone so the Unlimited "dont know dont care" benefit is strong.

No 4G with 48 but 15GB data per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭brendanb586

I've got three kids on 48 €10/month plan - the 13 year old only once went over 1GB, and then it was a simple top up for another 1GB. Fine for snapchat, whatsapp, spotify etc... If they are using it for youtube then go with the 15GB (mine mostly watch videos/netflix on wifi). Up to you to decide on €120 v €180/year, but never any problem with service.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

DA7800 wrote: »

You can use more than 15GB on Three without the internet cutting off that's why they called it AYCE data. They reserve the right to slow you down should you be using way too much say 100-500GB.

Advertisement