Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice to quit for improvements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

In a letters market, it's easier and (in the short term)cheaper to show someone the door than fix small problems. That's what the OP's friend is finding out.

A, New PRTB agreement which costs money.
    B, Looking for new tenents, which costs money.
    C, House possible empty for 1 if not more months, loss of rent.

and thats presuming all the repairs arent carried out which they still must be to rent to a new person alltough the washing machine door sounds a little petty.

Some tenents are under the impression that because its rent and not a mortgage, they are actually hiring their own private slave as well. I am not saying thats the case here, just an observation from a landlord to compare to your obversation as a tenent.

esforum wrote: »
    A, New PRTB agreement which costs money.
    B, Looking for new tenents, which costs money.
    C, House possible empty for 1 if not more months, loss of rent.

A is the only thing there that is for sure, that's if the LL registers the new tenant or just leaves the origingal registration which is what a lot do.

Looking for tenants doesn't cost money aside from the 45 euro for the ad.

The chances of an significant empty period is very slim nowadays, the place will probably be rented with a few days of the other person moving out.

The issues one person has with a house another tenant may put up with (or not even care about) thus the LL may not do anything really just re-let as is. The list that poster put up would be mostly things I wouldn't bother the LL about. I never use the heating timer, I don't really bother too much with hot water (electric shower and cold water does me fine otherwise rather than spending money on gas to heat water) so the tap wouldn't bother me, the washing machine definitely would not be something I'd care too much about etc ours has a small leak for over a year and I haven't bothered getting it sorted.

Not saying any of this is right but its the way it will be looked on by some LLs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

How dare a letting agent try to give the landlord a good return for his investment, within the bounds of the law! It's not like that's his job or anything!

It's not his job to call reasonable requests for maintenance cheeky either.

The agent shows a lack of professionalism by getting involved with emotive terms as well as emailing the wrong individual. That said, letting agents and lack of professionalism are synonymous with one another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

It's not his job to call reasonable requests for maintenance cheeky either.

The agent shows a lack of professionalism by getting involved with emotive terms as well as emailing the wrong individual. That said, letting agents and lack of professionalism are synonymous with one another.

Oh, I completely agree with you on those points. That's why I only commented on one part of the post! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks all, crisis averted for now. My friend just texted me to say rent increase due May, some improvements to be carried out before then and the rest after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a landlord renting out his property at the market rate. There's even less wrong with a letting agent showing the landlord was the market rate is. Indeed, that's part of his or her job.

My interpretation of the presented facts is that the letting agent was a muppet who failed to advise the landlord to ensure that the rent was reviewed to market value before the implementation of AK47's "rent certainty" stupidity and is trying to retroactively get the increase (and hide his incompetence) by evicting the tenant. I speak as a landlord and tenant with no particular agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Marcusm wrote: »
    My interpretation of the presented facts is that the letting agent was a muppet who failed to advise the landlord to ensure that the rent was reviewed to market value before the implementation of AK47's "rent certainty" stupidity and is trying to retroactively get the increase (and hide his incompetence) by evicting the tenant. I speak as a landlord and tenant with no particular agenda.

Speaking from both sides too, and also with no agenda. ;)
    I agree the letting agent was a muppet. But again, on the single point I quoted, and on that point alone, I see nothing wrong with it. But only that point. And not the rest of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

OP so glad it has been sorted at least for now. It is a worry for many of us and many of us tend now not to ask re maintenance . nox; Ok so there are things you are not worried about but if you are adhering to " the law" there are requirements and minimum standards according to " the law"...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ooorla wrote: »
    If you were to take the LL up on the first refusal offer after the renovations were done, would it be at the current rent rate, or can it be put up again?

Wondering because the house I'm renting is in a similar position, having been asked to leave for major refurb the end of March (we are there 3 years). We had a rent increase last April, which should be good til April 2017, if we had continued the tenancy. Is it considered an outright end of contract and if we go back there again, can the LL put it up higher?

The tenancy is being vacated (and contrary to several comments in this thread- the tenancy is ending- the tenant is *not* being evicted- their tenancy is ending- eviction is an entirely different process).

If the landlord carries out renovations/improvements/repairs (as proposed) and puts the property back on the rental market (plausible)- while the OP's friend would have first refusal on it- it would be classified as a new tenancy- at open market rates- which is determined by what the landlord might reasonably expect another prospective tenant to pay.

I.e. if the landlord improves the rentability of the property- and makes it a far more desireable prospect for tenants- obviously its fair market rent will increase by a significant chunk........

However- if the tenant decides to simply pony up the requested rent increase (which may be in keeping with market rates for the area- as determined by what other people are actually paying- and not that crap table on the PRTB website)- as they are already in the 3rd year of their tenancy- keep in mind the landlord can simply end the tenancy after 4 years- without any reason (serving the requisite notice obviously).

As for the agent- its in their interest that the rent is increased as much as possible- regardless of any improvements the landlord may undertake- as they get a set percentage of the rental income (depending on the market this can be up to 20% in some cases- but is typically 10%).

Also- the OP hasn't given us any indication of what the improvements are- perhaps they're plausible, perhaps not- we don't know.

Instances like this- are occasionally referred to the local environmental health officer- who may in fact serve notice on the property- if it is in breach of legislative requirements- which would mean both the tenant leaving- and a restriction on the landlord letting the property- until it has been inspected and passes by the local authority officer.

Its not an entirely situation for anyone- at this stage- if I were the tenant- I'd liaise with the landlord to see what compromise we could come to- as obviously finding alternate accommodation may be nigh impossible (plus- its entirely plausible that even a high rent rise- may still be in keeping with market conditions- as we have no idea of how the previous rent stacked up against similar local properties- or indeed, when the last rent rise occurred.

Graces7 wrote: »
    OP so glad it has been sorted at least for now. It is a worry for many of us and many of us tend now not to ask re maintenance . nox; Ok so there are things you are not worried about but if you are adhering to " the law" there are requirements and minimum standards according to " the law"...

I understand that certain standards should be met and the LL should fix all these issues. I was just pointing out that they may find a tenant more willing to put up with things/not bothered about things than another particularly if the tenant they have is very picky.

It just happened that them few smell things mentioned wouldn't overly bother me, I've got my LL to fix things that have bothered me and there was no issue I wouldn't just put up with anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

A is the only thing there that is for sure, that's if the LL registers the new tenant or just leaves the origingal registration which is what a lot do.

The chances of an significant empty period is very slim nowadays, the place will probably be rented with a few days of the other person moving out.

The issues one person has with a house another tenant may put up with (or not even care about) thus the LL may not do anything really just re-let as is. The list that poster put up would be mostly things I wouldn't bother the LL about. I never use the heating timer, I don't really bother too much with hot water (electric shower and cold water does me fine otherwise rather than spending money on gas to heat water) so the tap wouldn't bother me, the washing machine definitely would not be something I'd care too much about etc ours has a small leak for over a year and I haven't bothered getting it sorted.

Not saying any of this is right but its the way it will be looked on by some LLs.

small or minor, money lost is money lost. The LL is using an agent so that bumps up the financial costs somewhat. Not all LL's are business men with dozens of properties. I need my house rented every day.

as for tenents and issues, I shall PM you when my current tenent moves cause the issues highlighted here are deadly serious compared to what I get contacted about.

I understand that certain standards should be met and the LL should fix all these issues. I was just pointing out that they may find a tenant more willing to put up with things/not bothered about things than another particularly if the tenant they have is very picky.

It just happened that them few smell things mentioned wouldn't overly bother me, I've got my LL to fix things that have bothered me and there was no issue I wound just put up with anything.

OK! Was thinking re this and really surely we should expect what we would accept if we owned the house? ( interesting typos..) All the more so as we are paying for this. What you think of as small can be very irksome indeed. At present I am not making waves here; landlord is in a fix in many ways and on the rare occasions i see him gets upset and starts re selling this house or moving his family in.. Just talk but I would rather not listen! The washing machine died recently and I just do not want the hassle there will be replacing it. And if I listed the "small things" needing fixing it would be a long list.. I cannot work out how to change the light bulbs as the ceilings as every high and I am not good on ladders even if I had one.. I use lamps instead now... I told him months ago the outside walls need drylining and he went deaf... Many of us are very insecure these days..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

I have friends who have happily resided in property's while kitchens were replaced, carpets changed, walls painted etc. There are not many jobs that require all your tenants to move out.

While I'm sure they are doing major work I'd just keep an eye out that they don't just relet the property at an increased rate after you vacate. Actions like that would constitute an eviction.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Graces7 wrote: »
    I cannot work out how to change the light bulbs as the ceilings as every high and I am not good on ladders even if I had one.. I use lamps instead now... I told him months ago the outside walls need drylining and he went deaf... Many of us are very insecure these days..

Grace- with all due respect- its not normal for a landlord to change lightbulbs for you- and with respect of drylining the exterior- its now mandatory to provide a tenant with a BER at the commencement of a tenancy- which will give you an indication of the state the property is in (though they are easily manipulable). A landlord is *not* going to dryline walls- aside from anything else- it is major work, it is not restorative in nature- and it is not tax deductible- its a sunk cost. Any rental income the landlord might have for the next few years could easily be eaten up by a drylining job...........

If you're unsafe on a ladder- get a handy man in for an hour- and do a blitz on the place- change any lightbulbs etc etc- I appreciate that you're rural, elderly and on a low income- however, sometimes thinking outside the box on these things really is the way to go. Pop a little note on the parish bulletin board- handyman needed for a few small jobs, nothing major- please call Grace on (phone no.) and you'll probably get one or two people fairly local who'll do a few small jobs for you as and when you need them to.

Once upon a time- the local GAA and Scouts kids- used relish these type little jobs- bygone days......... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

If I thought that my tenant didn't inform me about a leak that they knew about, I would be looking to get them out PDQ and get in someone more responsible.

If I thought that my tenant didn't inform me about a leak that they knew about, I would be looking to get them out PDQ and get in someone more responsible.

I've informed my LL about previous leaks in the heating system and he wasn't interested.

Me: "there is a very small leak from a pipe in the hotpress

LL: "is there much leaking"

Me: "very little, Ive a cloth wrapped around it"

LL: "sure keep an eye on it, I'll sort it the next time the plumber calls for something else"

Got fixed nearly a year later.

I actually did mention the washing machine recently too even though the door is leaking for more than a year. The conversation was as above bar no towel around it just, there isn't much coming out is there and my answer was not too much I dry it up after. He has no interest in fixing it and it doesnt really bother me I only use the washing machine where I rent an odd time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I've informed my LL about previous leaks in the heating system and he wasn't interested.

Me: "there is a very small leak from a pipe in the hotpress

LL: "is there much leaking"

Me: "very little, Ive a cloth wrapped around it"

LL: "sure keep an eye on it, I'll sort it the next time the plumber calls for something else"

Got fixed nearly a year later.

I actually did mention the washing machine recently too even though the door is leaking for more than a year. The conversation was as above bar no towel around it just, there isn't much coming out is there and my answer was not too much I dry it up after. He has no interest in fixing it and it doesnt really bother me I only use the washing machine where I rent an odd time anyway.

That's completely different to saying you didn't bother to get it sorted

That's completely different to saying you didn't bother to get it sorted

Well I didn't bother saying anything about the washing machine until about two weeks ago and it's been leaking for well over a year as I knew he wouldn't be too bothered and I wasn't really bothered either as its a minor leak. Only said it as he was over at the house, I'd say he had forgotten about it before he left.

That said he is good for fixing things that really need fixing and if I pushed any bit at all he would sort the small things too in fairness.

Grace- with all due respect- its not normal for a landlord to change lightbulbs for you- and with respect of drylining the exterior- its now mandatory to provide a tenant with a BER at the commencement of a tenancy- which will give you an indication of the state the property is in (though they are easily manipulable). A landlord is *not* going to dryline walls- aside from anything else- it is major work, it is not restorative in nature- and it is not tax deductible- its a sunk cost. Any rental income the landlord might have for the next few years could easily be eaten up by a drylining job...........

If you're unsafe on a ladder- get a handy man in for an hour- and do a blitz on the place- change any lightbulbs etc etc- I appreciate that you're rural, elderly and on a low income- however, sometimes thinking outside the box on these things really is the way to go. Pop a little note on the parish bulletin board- handyman needed for a few small jobs, nothing major- please call Grace on (phone no.) and you'll probably get one or two people fairly local who'll do a few small jobs for you as and when you need them to.

Once upon a time- the local GAA and Scouts kids- used relish these type little jobs- bygone days......... :(

Tell you what? You live your renting life your way and I will live mine my way! I did not say I expected landlord to do anything... By the way please do not quote my post if you reply; ask srameen why! People who are asked to pit others on ignore by the management should not be eavesdropping Meant the interior walls by the way..I have my ways of getting essentials done way outside the box in a deep rural area where there is no parish bulletin board and no handyman and where landlords are real people who care about their tenants safety and will set small things right when the time is right. All sorted here our way last evening..... We do not go by "mandatory" here but by neighbourly humanity..I help folk and then in time folk help me BUT when the design of a house and complicated fittings make changing bulbs a technical matter yes the ll should do it..every time .... Over and out from me on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Graces7, the forum charter asks all posters to remain civil when posting. Please be mindful of that. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭karenalot

There are care and repair programs for the elderly dotted around the country where volunteers and tradesmen carry out minor repairs and jobs for free or the cost of the materials. Replacing lightbulbs included. Not to be used though of course by landlords to pass over their responsibilities.

http://www.seniorcare.ie/blog_information/15-01-19/Free_Care_Repair_Services_for_Older_People_in_Ireland.aspx

Advertisement