Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric bicycles

Options
  • 18-02-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Does anyone here have much experience with electric bicycles for commuting? I'm about 20km from where I work and would never be fit enough to cycle there under my own power (I could maybe manage a very slow 10k) and was half looking into the idea of getting one.

Are they easy and reliable to use? Are there brands I should look out for or avoid? And also does anyone have recommendations for a shop to buy from?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Me and my girlfriend got one between us recently - an A2B Ferber from Cyclebike. There was an issue with the first one but they replaced it with no hassle. It's great, one of the more expensive ones at €2.4k but working a treat. We tend to plug it in every night but it should do 4 x 14km trips on the battery according to our usage.
    We're lucky in that we both have secure parking where we work but that would be biggest concern. Battery easily removed to take inside with you which is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Does anyone here have much experience with electric bicycles for commuting? I'm about 20km from where I work and would never be fit enough to cycle there under my own power (I could maybe manage a very slow 10k) and was half looking into the idea of getting one.

While I would in no way discourage you from getting an electric bike if that's what you would like, I promise you will be able to cycle 20km if you practice a small bit at a time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

While I would in no way discourage you from getting an electric bike if that's what you would like, I promise you will be able to cycle 20km if you practice a small bit at a time :)

What he said. I would have said exactly the same. I moved temporarily while our house was being extended and started cycling about 3km to work from the temporary place. When I returned home doing the 15km round trip daily was a no brainer, easy decision. Now I normally do an 80-100km cycle each weekend, despite being 40+ and weighing over 15 stone. Give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Agree 20km isn't to bad and is easily achieved, we are moving office to the airport in October and I'll gave a 30km cycle each way, up to 18 months ago I hadn't cycled in over10 years

• Registered Users Posts: 8,850 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

If someone wants an E-Bike then let them go for it!

If I had spare cash this would be the ebike of choice....

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/electric/turbo/turbo-s-ce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As others have said, a 20km trip is easily doable and doesn't require a massive amount of fitness - it's more mind over matter.

A regular bike will do the job and save you a small fortune.

It would be nice if, for once, when someone asked about an e-bike if answers were on e-bikes and not on using a normal bike.

Sometimes it just isn't suitable for everyone to cycle a normal bike in, personally I got too sweaty and the time taken to have a shower afterwards (in not great conditions) just put me off cycling in, so I started bringing my bike in on the DART (illegally) but then the DART became too busy to bring the bike on board.

Now, when I cycle in, I can get straight to work which is a plus for me.

It would be nice if, for once, when someone asked about an e-bike if answers were on e-bikes and not on using a normal bike.

I fully agree, if someone wants an ebike for 10k or 20k, it's up to them!

Have a look here also OP: http://www.bike-discount.de/en/ebike-trekking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I tend to agree about cycling 20km each way unassisted not being for everyone. It's about an hour of moderate exercise each way. That's quite a lot, five days a week. Personally, I'd love it, and it would be really good for you, but it's not for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Pseudorandom

While I agree that eventually I might be able to do 20k, realistically the fact is that now I can't. I also don't really have the time necessary to start going on long cycles to build up to it (and all of you that are saying 20K is not a long cycle have yet to see how slowly I cycle! All that getting off at hills to push takes time :)).

The advantage of an electric bike for me would actually be that I'd feel able to definitely get there so less nervousness, and that you'd be able to rely less and less on the assist over time and build up your fitness that way.

I was hoping to get few recommendations for shops, but it doesn't seem like e-bikes are very popular here? I also wouldn't want to spend more than 3k

• Advertisement

tomasrojo wrote:
    I tend to agree about cycling 20km each way unassisted not being for everyone. It's about an hour of moderate exercise each way. That's quite a lot, five days a week. Personally, I'd love it, and it would be really good for you, but it's not for everyone.

I know this is the cycling forum so obviously you're all in to cycling and good at it, but 20km is not an hour of moderate (!) exercise for me, it's probably about two hours of sweating profusely with optional asthma attack and fits of despairing weeping.

I was hoping to get few recommendations for shops, but it doesn't seem like e-bikes are very popular here? I also wouldn't want to spend more than 3k

Have you tried: http://www.greenaer.ie/commuter-e-bikes/

http://www.electricbikes.ie/index.php?route=information/contact

Expert Cycles Rathfarnham can get them in, as can Giant Dublin, and also Cyclesuperstore Tallaght..

Tenzor07 wrote:
    Have you tried: http://www.greenaer.ie/commuter-e-bikes/

http://www.electricbikes.ie/index.ph...mation/contact

Expert Cycles Rathfarnham can get them in, as can Giant Dublin, and also Cyclesuperstore Tallaght..

Greenaer were the ones I was looking so far (based on no other reason than just googling electric bikes), particularly this one:
    http://www.greenaer.ie/product/electric-bike-bh-evo-city-wave/

While I agree that eventually I might be able to do 20k, realistically the fact is that now I can't. I also don't really have the time necessary to start going on long cycles to build up to it (and all of you that are saying 20K is not a long cycle have yet to see how slowly I cycle! All that getting off at hills to push takes time :)).

The advantage of an electric bike for me would actually be that I'd feel able to definitely get there so less nervousness, and that you'd be able to rely less and less on the assist over time and build up your fitness that way.

This is the one we got.

http://www.cyclebike.ie/bike/a2b-Ferber

Thanks - is that a pedelec or one of the ones with a throttle on the handlebars? What's the official "range" on a battery charge? And what do you find it like to cycle - is it very different from a normal bike?

Thanks - is that a pedelec or one of the ones with a throttle on the handlebars? What's the official "range" on a battery charge? And what do you find it like to cycle - is it very different from a normal bike?

No throttle, it's basically like when you were a kid learning to cycle and your parent would push you along, it's a little booster. You have to be pedalling to get the boost it won't work without you pedalling.

It's very like cycling a normal bike, positioning, awareness are normal but you're getting a bit more speed so you obviously need to give yourself more braking space/distance.

I cycle in 14km and would use about 25% of the power from 100% (we charge it every night) you would use more if using the higher boosts (there are 3) but we tend to just use the first speed. As we charge it every night we haven't put it to a real test to see if we'd get 4 return journeys on it. Obviously you could bring the charger into work with you but unless you have a load of hills and the wind is blowing against you, you should make your 20km in and out on a single charge.

The bikes are heavy but very comfortable to cycle, our one is similar to a Dublin Bike so upright position, we got panniers with it (which aren't as big as my normal bikes ones) which you could put the charger into. We're very happy with it so far, doing a lot more cycling between us than we had been with the normal bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

Hi look on this forum ,uk site but loads of info and if your mechanically minded a conversion is easy enough too.

been looking at converting a mountain bike myself ,i have a trip of 15 miles over varied south kilkenny hills n rural roads.
    After a 12 hour shift the prospect of full ride home is daunting , so thats my solution .

Pedelecs .co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

This is a post I wrote a few months ago. It's still all true though. The only thing that has changed is that I've fallen in love with cycling so much that I also picked up a Boardman Road Comp just so I can go faster than the e-bike!

I bought a BH Emotion Neo Cross about 2 years ago. I was looking to commute a short distance (approx. 8km return) but the traffic was just terrible so I didn't want to purchase a car. A bike seemed liked the obvious solution but I didn't fancy showering in work every day or everytime I went to visit friends or relatives. I play a lot of sports (~4 times a week) so didn't feel guilty looking at an electric bike. I am a complete n00b to cycling and was looking at the cheap e-bikes. After doing a bit of research - and knowing I could rely on the cycle to work scheme - I decided to pony up for a decent bike. It was easier to justify since I was going to use it exclusively instead of a car.

I went in to GreenAer near Trinity and tried out a few of their bikes. The BH Cross was just ridiculously fun to cycle. It's hard to explain; you just have to try it. I got a decent deal on a shop model from GreenAer - very nice people I have to say. Even 2 years later, I'm still excited hopping on it each morning. I've let lots of friends have a go on it - even the most skeptical and judgemental ones come back with a big grin after trying it. I don't get the hatred from some folks about them.

I've also found myself cycling for pure pleasure which I would never have imagined. If I've got some free time or need a break, I cycle up to the top of Three Rock (plenty of exercise in that no matter what setting you use), or spin out to Dún Laoghaire or just do the trail around UCD. The BH Cross is a more sporty bike whereas the Kalkhoff models didn't feel quite as agressive. Kalkhoff I would recommend for an older age group whereas BH I would recommend for younger people.

Anyway I can honestly say it's one of the best purchases I've ever made. I actually can't imagine being without it now. Best of luck with your purchase.

BH-Neo-Cross-02.jpg

Schemingbohemia, ellipsechaser - thanks for weighing in. In terms of effort versus a normal bicycle, how did you find the electrics?

I'm going to book a test cycle next weekend and see how it goes. For it to be a realistic purchase it has to haul my incredibly unfit ass (takes me approx 40 mins to do 5k and I have to stop occasionally :/) 20k across Dublin. Does the motor acceleration affect how you cycle through busy traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Schemingbohemia, ellipsechaser - thanks for weighing in. In terms of effort versus a normal bicycle, how did you find the electrics?

I'm going to book a test cycle next weekend and see how it goes. For it to be a realistic purchase it has to haul my incredibly unfit ass (takes me approx 40 mins to do 5k and I have to stop occasionally :/) 20k across Dublin. Does the motor acceleration affect how you cycle through busy traffic?

There are different settings and you can decide how much work you want to put into it. There's no question that even the most unfit person will be able to do 20k easily with assist on. Using an e-bike also affects travelling times. If there's a lot of start/ stop, my e-bike is faster but if it's a clear run, the Boardman is considerably faster. In terms, of heavy traffic, you just need to be cautious and feather the brake. You get used to it very quickly. I suggest if fitness is an issue to lower the assist you're receiving over time. Head into GreenAer. They'll let you try out all the different models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Bigus

Get one with disc brakes they're far superior in the wet and traffic .

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭jsd1004

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭paul mountainbike

looks good price,n reviews n opinions on pedelecs forum are very good for these .
    Bosch motors mid drive give good torque and power efficiency .

excellent suspension set up to ,so plenty of fun off road,just don't get too confident with full sus .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I got myself one of these.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/bikes/model/twist.freedom.1.gts/11649/56330/#specifications

I have 6km to work but do 12 hours shift & night. Plus it'S up hill most of the way home. I get the 24km from a charge using max power going to work. I don't sweat then and mid power on the way home to get somewhat fit. I am lucky to have cycle paths off the road most of the way.

I was driving and still do in the winter. The way I see it is any cycling is better then none.

I just got the wife one so we can go together.

http://www.akkurad.de/de/e-bikes-pedelecs/raleigh-groove-ud-7g-schwarz-silber-9ah-rh.46

Just to get the full use of it we have 2 kids so I have a trailer on the back.

http://www.mytoys.de/Qeridoo-Speedkid2-Kinderfahrradanh%C3%A4nger-gr%C3%BCn/Fahrradanh%C3%A4nger/Fahrrad-Co/KID/de-mt.sp.ca01.38.04.01/4500874

The ebike takes the pain out of it but it does use the battery quicker.

ebikes are great but have a different use.

My Father inlaw uses 1 for 50km round trip to work and back. He is 64

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

What did you settle on Pseudorandom?

Went with this one: http://www.greenaer.ie/product/staiger-sinus-bc30-2016/

I actually love it. No issue doing the 20k in and home on one charge. Any time I hit a hill or feel like I'm flagging enough that on a normal bike I would pull over and stop for a break, I just turn up the assist to a higher level and keep going.

It's pretty much designed for people like me, who couldn't manage that long of a commute by themselves but would love to be cycling it instead of driving. I actually don't struggle too much in choosing to cycle instead of drive because it's generally just a nicer experience even though it takes me longer (35 mins best case on the m50 vs 60 mins including a nice spin through the Phoenix Park). That said given the nice weather recently I haven't been tested too much with flogging rain or anything.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,618 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

without having to read through the thread, do these work by requiring more effort from you on easy sections, and feeding that energy back in on tough sections?
    i.e. do they buffer the energy, so a more steady output is required from the rider?

without having to read through the thread, do these work by requiring more effort from you on easy sections, and feeding that energy back in on tough sections?
    i.e. do they buffer the energy, so a more steady output is required from the rider?

No, there's a battery you charge by plugging into a wall socket and it will reduce the effort you need to pedal up to a maximum speed.

Advertisement