Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house renovated after fire-should we bother bidding?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi there

Just viewed a house that we really like.

EA said that there had been fired damage and that the house has been gutted and completely renovated.

Should we even bother with a second viewing? House was originally up for sale at 325 for the last year, and is now listed at 285 since last week. But EA said they want to generate interest and want offers of that or over.

He wasn't able to tell us much about the fire, damage done or cause etc.

My query is would we even be able to get house insurance? Or can we see the insurance report for the fire? Or a cert of work needed to be done etc?

There are no bids yet, and to be honest we only want to pay no more than asking. Is there any point in even arranging a second viewing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

My query is would we even be able to get house insurance?
    Yeah that shouldn't be an issue. Unlike flooding, fire isn't something that generally reoccurs, and a "no claims" on hoe insurance usually follows the homeowner rather than the home since the vast majority of fires are caused by the activity of the owner rather than randomly bursting into flames.
    Or can we see the insurance report for the fire? Or a cert of work needed to be done etc?
    There should be surveyor's reports, adjuster's reports, before and after, on top of a raft of sign-offs and confirmations of the work done.

They don't have to provide this to you, but you can tell them that you want to see this stuff if you are to put in a serious offer.

If you do have an accepted bid, you would want to get your own surveyor anyway to have a good go over everything to make sure it's not missed.

In terms of the building, the biggest risk factors for fire are old wiring and dodgy permanent fittings (boilers, electric storage heaters, etc). If the house has been completely gutted and redone, then all of this should have been replaced anyway and that issue goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,710 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most likely the house would have been repaired via the home insurance and would be fully up to all building regulations, it should be in theory better condition than houses of the same age that were built. Most likely rewired, replumbed, reinsulated, should be fully modern standard now.

If it was me and I really wanted it I would start bidding at €275k.

Have a look on Google Street View, could be a chance the fire damage is recorded there. You should also search the media to see if there was a death as a result of the fire, that might be something that when you moved in if you found out it might not sit right with you living there, some people it wouldn't be an issue though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Unless it was fire damaged due to a 'local element' I can't see why you wouldn't bid on it if interested. Obviously keep looking at other options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi OP, we had a fire in a bedroom 3 years ago, we had to move for 10 weeks while the renovations were being done.
    Our Insulation was upgraded, total 2nd floor redone incl new walls, New built in wardrobes, new windows and radiators where damaged. New flooring, blinds,total paint job, bathroom suite & ensuite, extractor fans,new immersion system, more plug sockets - I could go on, but the house has had a total renovation.
    The fire was isolated to one room of the house, caused by faulty wiring. It was the smoke that damaged everything, or else water because of the (brilliant) fire brigade that results in most of the damage.
    It may have been recorded in local or even national press, if anyway malicious or resulting in loss of life. I'm sure you've googled the address with the word 'fire'?
    Would you not ask the neighbours, it seems a perfectly reasonable thing to do. I'm surprised the estate agent doesn't know 'the full story ' though. Maybe there is none and it was just a simple unfortunate electrical fault or coal ember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Ask for scope of works that was given to the building contractor from the insurance company and have the list corrected. Sometimes an insurance will ask for something like a wall to be replaced. But to save money the builder will leave the damaged wall up

• Advertisement
Advertisement