Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air tightness tape around windows

Options
  • 18-02-2016 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Hello, I am looking for advice on putting air tightness tape around windows and doors on a cavity block build. Is this straightforward or is it something that should be done by a professional?

Initial impression looking at it is it is just sealing any openings around the window stop the draughts coming in. Surprisingly little articles on the net on this. This question is specifically to windows/doors not air tight membrane or anything like that.

Any photos or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can you post your window sectional construction details showing how/what air-tightness measures are proposed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

BryanF wrote: »
    Can you post your window sectional construction details showing how/what air-tightness measures are proposed

What has this got to do with the original request? Air tightness tape is either applied correctly or not, the measures proposed do not impact how the tape is used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

cpoh1 wrote: »
    What has this got to do with the original request? Air tightness tape is either applied correctly or not, the measures proposed do not impact how the tape is used.

It has everything to do with airtightness as it shows your overall strategy to deal with the airtight line. How can we advise you of the correct application if we don't know your overall strategy? Strategy is your overall buildup, your jamb build up etc.

Without details your pinning a tail on the donkey with a blindfold.....

miller_63 wrote: »
    It has everything to do with airtightness as it shows your overall strategy to deal with the airtight line. How can we advise you of the correct application if we don't know your overall strategy? Strategy is your overall buildup, your jamb build up etc.

Without details your pinning a tail on the donkey with a blindfold.....

The query is specifically around the process and how to with taping windows for airtightness. This is not like turning on a tap its either applied correctly (and there is only one correct way to do it) or it isint and its not airtight.

The spec you are targeting and your strategy are all irrelevant for someone who is looking for advice on how taping windows is carried out correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,980 ✭✭✭893bet

Depending on the window detail there is multiple different tapes and products that may be required.

• Advertisement

In any case it is straight forward with a short learning curve IMO. It can be slow and could easily take 1-2 hours to do a large window. Depending on how the window reveals are being finished will have impact on how neat you need to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

The query is specifically around the process and how to with taping windows for airtightness. This is not like turning on a tap its either applied correctly (and there is only one correct way to do it) or it isint and its not airtight.

The spec you are targeting and your strategy are all irrelevant for someone who is looking for advice on how taping windows is carried out correctly.

Okay then, please advise how to tape it correctly without knowing the build up.....

miller_63 wrote: »
    Okay then, please advise how to tape it correctly without knowing the build up.....

Or you could try to be helpful and say, if you are planning on using a standard construction cavity block with 30mm insulation around the revels I would recommend XXXXX and here are some photos. The OP can easily be helped based on the info in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 kav2011

trying to post an image of my set up but can't as I'm to new a user apparently.

Its nothing special. 150MM block cavity, 4 inch block on its side. Using strips of kingspan as cavity closer. Cant see the cavity closer on the vertical edges just on the bottom which will be underneath the window boards and the top of the window.
    If someone else can post a url showing a pic of my windows PM me and i'll send it to you.

question is specifically to taping windows and doors, overall air tightness strategy isn't going to dictate this.

the problem I am having is the tape sticking to the block. it doesn't seal very well.

• Advertisement

You are using the wrong tape if it won't stick.

Masonry tape is expensive. Expect to pay 70-100 euro per 25metre role. You will need a primer to paint on aswell before taping.

893bet wrote: »
    You are using the wrong tape if it won't stick.

Masonry tape is expensive. Expect to pay 70-100 euro per 25metre role. You will need a primer to paint on aswell before taping.

Op you should have a trowelled smooth pasted finish for sticking the tape.

Thanks all.

Bryan just one more question.

Do I really need the plastered finish before applying the tape? As the area between the block and the tape will be plastered over effectively sealing it, if there were any gaps or leakage here it will be sealed by the plaster.

I would of taught that once it was air tight around the window frame that is what's really important.

kav2011 wrote: »
    Thanks all.

Bryan just one more question.

Do I really need the plastered finish before applying the tape? As the area between the block and the tape will be plastered over effectively sealing it, if there were any gaps or leakage here it will be sealed by the plaster.

I would of taught that once it was air tight around the window frame that is what's really important.
    I assume you have a particular tape in mind. Contact the product rep, ask for an installation data sheet for your particular suggested use, and take it from there.

To answer your direct question - recent house kickoff meeting with air-tightness installer: 'please plaster the reveals first, smooth plaster, then tape, then final skim'

May i ask again, What do your drawings show? Or what did your air-tightness installer, architect or product rep tell you?

Hi Bryan. Siga Fentrim 20 tape is what im using.

I have the details I need. thanks for help and all responses

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Carrickbeg

kav2011 wrote: »
    Hi Bryan. Siga Fentrim 20 tape is what im using.

I have the details I need. thanks for help and all responses

Hi just wondering did you step the reveals?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭covey09

Or you could try to be helpful and say, if you are planning on using a standard construction cavity block with 30mm insulation around the revels I would recommend XXXXX and here are some photos. The OP can easily be helped based on the info in the original post.

Agree, most of the time respondents including moderators are just trying to be obtuse when dealing with questions from people "not in the Trade".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Just to close this out for masonry applications you can use contega SL in conjunction with Orcon F mastic to seal tape to masonry . There would be zero requirements to have a smooth plaster finish using the above tape and seal. Very effective

Advertisement