Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dropbox for Business Vs. Mega

• 18-02-2016 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭

I'm currently using dropbox for business at a cost of €73 a month (inc VAT), shared out between four users.

It gets heavy traffic with large graphics/video etc being transferred.

I was looking at Mega & their rates are very acceptable for paid packages.

Are they a suitable replacement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

When it comes to my business, anything with the word "Mega" in it raises alarm bells. Maybe that's just because of whom he is, but hey...

I would suggest

Google Drive - For business, €6 per user per month gives you 50GB each. €13.50 peru/m for 200GB each.
    AeroFS [free if you don't require the heavy business features]
    OneDrive from Microsoft is another option, especially if you have an Office365 account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

OU812 wrote: »
    I was looking at Mega & their rates are very acceptable for paid packages.

Are they a suitable replacement?

Each to their own but I personally wouldn't touch mega for anything business related or for any critical data. While an excellent platform it's ownership is still in limbo and you've no guarantee that it'll be there next month.

On a side note interesting to see how dropbox gets on now that they are fully out of AWS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

Why dont you self host. For what you are paying you could get a mycloud drive for aboput €200. Locate it somewhere safe.
    Then your data is safe and secure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭OU812

Pataman wrote: »
    Why dont you self host. For what you are paying you could get a mycloud drive for aboput €200. Locate it somewhere safe.
    Then your data is safe and secure

Whole point is it's safe in the cloud & I don't have to worry about anything happening at the place where the MyCloud drive is.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I must admit I wouldn't go near Mega's paid-for services, purely because the entire site could get nuked from orbit tomorrow given the ongoing US government efforts to get Dotcom into court (and jail) and you'd most likely have no recourse whatsoever.

Is this storage being used as a spare copy of the data or as the canonical copy of work data? If the latter, I'd say pay close attention to whatever backup & recovery options are included with alternative suppliers.

The other thing to keep an eye on is bandwidth allocation if you're regularly moving large numbers of GBs around the place - there's no point moving somewhere where the storage costs less but uploading or retrieving files ends up costing more.

I can't suggest any particular alternative as I've not used/supported any of them for business purposes, though my experience of Microsoft's OneDrive in a previous job where all staff had Office365 accounts was pretty positive - plus you can specify the regions in which your data is stored (if data protection compliance is important to you) and typically replicate data to multiple datacentres for redundancy in the event of one site going offline for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭happycoach

I'd recommend Google drive

Advertisement