Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Lou to rejoin FF?

• 18-02-2016 12:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭

Strong rumours that Mary Lou McDonald will seek to rejoin Fianna Fail after the general election. Sources say that she has come to realise that certain sections of SF will not accept her as the one to replace Gerry Adams as SF leader. Interesting times ahead!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭golfball37

Strong rumours that Mary Lou McDonald will seek to rejoin Fianna Fail after the general election. Sources say that she has come to realise that certain sections of SF will not accept her as the one to replace Gerry Adams as SF leader. Interesting times ahead!

The last great FF leader came from the same constituency ironically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

golfball37 wrote: »
    The last great FF leader came from the same constituency ironically.

I thought Cowen was a BIFFO?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

No it wasn't Cowwen.

It was Burty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Maybe the whole "Slab Murphy is a good republican" fiasco has focused her mind on the kind of organisation she has involved herself with and where the real power resides within it.

It would be a hammer blow for SF if it does occur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,095 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This is the 1st I've heard of this?

Any links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,593 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Sure if she joined FF ,she wouldnt get anywhere either,cos she'd be seen as a shinner and a blow in... and jerry cant last for ever!!!

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

She is obviously being groomed to replace Gerry so no idea where this rumour is coming from.

There were only rumours a few weeks ago that Gerry would be stepping down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Markcheese wrote: »
    Sure if she joined FF ,she wouldnt get anywhere either,cos she'd be seen as a shinner and a blow in... and jerry cant last for ever!!!

She seems to have started out in FF so you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,717 ✭✭✭✭maccored

strong rumours from where exactly? Makey Uppey Story if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

She is obviously being groomed to replace Gerry so no idea where this rumour is coming from.

There were only rumours a few weeks ago that Gerry would be stepping down.

Yeah but the shinners in the north won't let her be leader, that's the rumour anyway. I've heard conspiracy theories that some people in the organization think she's an FF plant to pull SF centre left. Totally wild paranoid stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Not a hope lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭eisen1968

Rumour has it that Elvis was seen canvassing for FF in south Wexford last night as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Enda has seen the light and is joining Sinn Fein as Gerry Adams bag man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

For what its worth I do not see Mary Lou as the next Sinn Fein Leader.

Probably either Connor Murphy or Pearce Doherty. I would go for Pearce but will he carry enough influence in the stronghold of the North.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I wouldn't be surprised if she did however it's not very exciting.

How about Gerry Adams to FF?

blinding wrote: »

Probably either Connor Murphy or Pearce Doherty. I would go for Pearce but will he carry enough influence in the stronghold of the North.

Yeah, can't see it either, too much influence from the north. Pearse might be leader, but they will not Let a "Dub" run SF.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I'd be very surprised if this happened. She'd go from being one of the public faces of a significant political party to just being a face in the crowd of another. I couldn't see FF ever giving her much responsibility if she did rejoin. I thought it was interesting that an SF poster I saw up in my constituency (Dublin West) has a picture of the local candidate and Mary Lou, rather than the party leader. She's obviously seen by the party as a softer, more voter friendly figurehead than Gerry Adams, so it would be a major blow for them if she did defect.

blinding wrote: »

You see this is the problem I would assume that she sees herself as the natural successor to GA. If that doesn't happen then I wouldn't be surprised if she bailed especially if a more junior but closer to the border candidate pipped her to the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

I think Mary Lou has great potential but for me whats holding her back is the Sinn Fein tag.

She will not hugely progress in her political career as long as she is attached to them.

If she even went independent she would have a stronger chance of political gain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

Tbh, recently she's seemed to big/popular for SF. Seems like she'd have to be stupid not to realise how electable she'd be as the leader of another party. And given her history with FF.....

Wouldn't be a surprise and would be a fairly astute move IMO. She'd be far more likely to lead FF back to a majority than anybody currently in that party. And that, of all parties, could do with a female in charge. Talk about a rebrand :)

• Advertisement

cruais wrote: »
    I think Mary Lou has great potential but for me whats holding her back is the Sinn Fein tag.

She will not hugely progress in her political career as long as she is attached to them.

If she even went independent she would have a stronger chance of political gain.

Agree with this up to the point about being an independent. Independents don't make real political gains. She's way too talented to just end up a Lowry or Healy Rae, making up the numbers just so she can get her local roads done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I've heard the sheep are advising that there'll be another rising too, isn't that right realdanbreen?

If i was Mary Lou and I was planning to jump ship into FF I'd deffo wait until the middle of an election campaign to let it slip. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

This is easily the most ridiculous thing I have heard in my entire life

Bambi wrote: »
    If i was Mary Lou and I was planning to jump ship into FF I'd deffo wait until the middle of an election campaign to let it slip. :D

Oh TBF it could very well be pre-election dirty tricks but it's not going to effect her getting re-elected.

But I do believe if she doesn't succeed GA then there would be a good chance that she would bail.

Gael23 wrote: »

But she already left FF to join SF so I'm not sure if it's that ridiculous.

But it wasn't Mary Lou who let it slip bambi.!:D

Gael23 wrote: »

Yeah it's very dubious, she is one that pulled SF out of obscurity and made them appealing to the ordinary voter, she has carved out a career for herself in SF, can't see her sitting on the back bench in FF.

gandalf wrote: »
    Oh TBF it could very well be pre-election dirty tricks but it's not going to effect her getting re-elected.

But I do believe if she doesn't succeed GA then there would be a good chance that she would bail.

There's going to be an absolute leadership dog fight in FF whenever Martin is shafted. She's a deserter to FF, she wouldnt get a look in

There's going to be an absolute leadership dog fight in FF whenever Martin is shafted. She's a deserter to FF, she wouldnt get a look in

Alternatively she could be brought in as a future leader. Lets be honest FF's leadership candidate pool is even poorer than FG's and that is really saying something. For her to jump ship there would have to be a significant carrot which the leadership would be, for FF it would pull them totally away from the tainted leader they currently have giving them a whole new narrative and the knock on effect of pulling support away from SF.

The more I think about it the more feasible it looks especially if she is getting the vibes that she won't be made leader from within the SF organisation.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Moved to the elections subforum.

Oh TBF it could very well be pre-election dirty tricks .

I'd say this is the case alright, they said they were going to terrify the electorate, it may be dirty tricks to try and show some instability in the SF leadership.

She's way too talented to just end up a Lowry or Healy Rae, making up the numbers just so she can get her local roads done.

Aw come on, we're not exactly talking about a Gandhi or Mandella figure here!
    In fact I would suggest both Lowry and Healy Rae have achieved a lot more than she has.

Alternatively she could be brought in as a future leader. Lets be honest FF's leadership candidate pool is even poorer than FG's and that is really saying something.

Who would offer McDonald that? It's not within anyone's gift, certainly not Martins

Do you think McGuinness, McGrath, Calleary, Hanafin et al are going to step aside and allow a Mary Lou Coronation just for the honor of having her in the party?

They will in their holes

I'd say this is the case alright, they said they were going to terrify the electorate, it may be dirty tricks to try and show some instability in the SF leadership.

Given who the OP is...I don't think RSF have much insight into McDonalds thinking :D

Given who the OP is...I don't think RSF have much insight into McDonalds thinking :D

What exactly are you suggesting Bambi?

• Advertisement

Enlighten me , who's the Op? I only pop in here every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I know politics can make fools of us all, but I will eat my hat if this happens.

Who would offer McDonald that? It's not within anyone's gift, certainly not Martins

Do you think McGuinness, McGrath, Calleary, Hanafin et al are going to step aside and allow a Mary Lou Coronation just for the honor of having her in the party?

They will in their holes

Out of the four you have name only one is a viable option for the leadership of FF and that's McGrath. The others are either has beens or on the margins of the party.

The rumour if it's to be believed is saying after the election. If FF don't do well and they aren't in Government then there could very well be a lot of soul searching going on. Mary Lou isn't going to move into a party to sit in the shadows, if she moves she will want a leading light and whilst she may not be leader from day one I would expect her to be offered a substantial position in FF.

Tactically if she did move it would effectively disembowel SF's support in Southern Ireland especially the support that is creeping into the voting middle classes and quite probably boast FF's support immediately and nearly relaunch the party.

D9Male wrote: »
    I know politics can make fools of us all, but I will eat my hat if this happens.

Quoting so we have proof!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Thomas_..

Oh that woman, always good for a surprise, given that the rumours might be come the truth. Gerry (´RA) Adams might be pleased about that. I wonder, has the popularity of FF grown yet again recently?

• Advertisement

If MLM is FF leader by the end of this year they will achieve an overall majority in the next GE.

Aw come on, we're not exactly talking about a Gandhi or Mandella figure here!
    In fact I would suggest both Lowry and Healy Rae have achieved a lot more than she has.

"Achieved", past tense. I'd say she sees herself as future taoiseach. Most ambitious politicians do (however deluded they might be) and she'll only do that as leader of a credible party. I wouldn't go underestimating the political wags in FF either. I'm sure the forward thinkers realise that without a complete rebrand the party is doomed to it's current status. She'd be perfect. A prodigal daughter :)

If MLM is FF leader by the end of this year they will achieve an overall majority in the next GE.

+1

There's not even a link for this so called rumour, so this thread should be moved to conspiracy theories until a link is provided.

And if a shaky Coalition results from this upcoming GE the next Government will probably not run its full five year term.

It would line FF up nicely as well as hobbling the one party that is directly eroding it's support base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

There is not a hope in hell that Mary Lou will jump ship to Fianna Fáil.

The thought of it might give the Indo's editor a wet dream but it just ain't going to happen.

The OP is having a laugh and many have bought it.

Yeah it's very dubious, she is one that pulled SF out of obscurity and made them appealing to the ordinary voter, she has carved out a career for herself in SF, can't see her sitting on the back bench in FF.

Still though, when she was listening to Gerry Adams being interviewed by Sean O'Rourke earlier today you don't think she was thinking 'I am regarded by SF as less able than this guy' ?

Then again with carry on like this going it. It is entirely possible she is thinking about the future ;)

http://www.thejournal.ie/sinn-fein-sandra-mclellan-2-2611285-Feb2016
    OUTGOING SINN FÉIN TD Sandra McLellan has said she wanted to run again but that her job became impossible because of efforts to “undermine and malign” her.
    Last October, McLellan decided not to stand for re-election, claiming she’d been on the receiving end of bullying by members of her own party. Sinn Féin’s Cork East organisation was plunged into crisis last year over the allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Alternatively she could be brought in as a future leader. Lets be honest FF's leadership candidate pool is even poorer than FG's and that is really saying something. For her to jump ship there would have to be a significant carrot which the leadership would be, for FF it would pull them totally away from the tainted leader they currently have giving them a whole new narrative and the knock on effect of pulling support away from SF.

The more I think about it the more feasible it looks especially if she is getting the vibes that she won't be made leader from within the SF organisation.

As hypothetical as all this is, assuming she ever made the move and she was ever welcomed, she'd never have a hope of being leader. Averil Power didn't last any time once she started getting uppity. The next leader of FF will be someone who waited their turn (it'd be the same in any party).

The only way I could see any big hitter pull off a move like that is if they brought a bunch of sitting TDs or Councillors with them and even then they'd have to wait at least a full election cycle.

Still though, when she was listening to Gerry Adams being interviewed by Sean O'Rourke earlier today you don't think she was thinking 'I am regarded by SF as less able than this guy' ?

Gerry Adams has done alright in real high pressure interviews over the years, you know life or death stuff. I don't think SOR equates with some of the people he's sat across from so he won't care, nor will any SF voter I'd wager.

It always amazes me that we in Eire equate talent with the ability to perform well in the media, have we not learned from Cowan in a previous campaign ffs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement