Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mary Lou to rejoin FF?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭golfball37

hardCopy wrote: »
    As hypothetical as all this is, assuming she ever made the move and she was ever welcomed, she'd never have a hope of being leader. Averil Power didn't last any time once she started getting uppity. The next leader of FF will be someone who waited their turn (it'd be the same in any party).

The only way I could see any big hitter pull off a move like that is if they brought a bunch of sitting TDs or Councillors with them and even then they'd have to wait at least a full election cycle.

Averil Power's achievements are being married to a Political Editor.
    MLM's achievements are being the regular subject of such columns.

In political achievement terms its like comparing Fidelma Healy-Eames to Angela Merkel ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

golfball37 wrote: »
    Gerry Adams has done alright in real high pressure interviews over the years, you know life or death stuff. I don't think SOR equates with some of the people he's sat across from so he won't care, nor will any SF voter I'd wager.

It always amazes me that we in Eire equate talent with the ability to perform well in the media, have we not learned from Cowan in a previous campaign ffs.

I think you're mixing up Gerry being interviewed with Gerry being interrogated. Gerry was on the SOR show to answer questions about SF policy not to keep sthum about his movements!.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭DJCR

No one appears to want to work with SF.

Leadership of another party may not be the aim. Maybe a Ministry of some sort is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

DJCR wrote: »
    No one appears to want to work with SF.

Leadership of another party may not be the aim. Maybe a Ministry of some sort is.

This is a wind up, I've only just figured it out....good one op :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 PhaseTen

It sounds incredibly unlikely, but if it were true it would be a massive coup for Fianna Fail, particularly if they could bring her in at a fairly high profile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭shugy

Gael23 wrote: »
    This is easily the most ridiculous thing I have heard in my entire life

Same here lol. The irish and their bullsh1t! You just couldnt make it up lol. And to make it even more laughable, there's people in this country who will believe it, pass it on like all the rest of the bullsh1t theyve heard and somehow it becomes true fact! lol. Us irish, god help us. Ive even seen someone mention in this thread that adams is retiring lol. Adams will still be doing what he does in a decade! There's just to much still to be achieved with the peace process for him to retire! Think about it ffs! Im even sorry ive clicked into this thread. It just reminds me of how thick some of my fellow countrymen and women can actually be and to make matters worse, alot of them are supposed to well educated people lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

shugy wrote: »
    Adams will still be doing what he does in a decade!

I expect Adams to still be uachtarain Sinn Fein when his embalmed corpse is on permanent display, Lenin-like, in Parnell Square.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Was there not talk of MLM taking over and then Pat Doherty being possibly elected after the elections after his previous tenure prior to MLM as vice president.

I thought he was regarded highly amongst both Northern and Southern republicans with ten years plus as vice president and acknowledged as being a fairly astute politician.

Michelle Gildernew must also be in with a shout too.

MLM as most know was previously in FF with some northern republicans surely looking at this with jaundiced eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

I expect Adams to still be uachtarain Sinn Fein when his embalmed corpse is on permanent display, Lenin-like, in Parnell Square.

2020 when that will happen. I think we're going to have a SF split, either the diesel Croud will start provisional SF, and Mary Lou will start Real SF with no ties to paramilitary organisations, she's capable of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

To show this up for the madness it is I'll offer anyone a charity bet of €100 that MLMcD will not be going to Fianna Fáil in next 12 months.

I'll also give you odds of 3/1.

If anyone takes the bet they can choose which registered charity the winnings go to.

Same here lol. The irish and their bullsh1t! You just couldnt make it up lol. And to make it even more laughable, there's people in this country who will believe it, pass it on like all the rest of the bullsh1t theyve heard and somehow it becomes true fact! lol. Us irish, god help us. Ive even seen someone mention in this thread that adams is retiring lol. Adams will still be doing what he does in a decade! There's just to much still to be achieved with the peace process for him to retire! Think about it ffs! Im even sorry ive clicked into this thread. It just reminds me of how thick some of my fellow countrymen and women can actually be and to make matters worse, alot of them are supposed to well educated people lol.

Sounds like you are embarressed at being Irish! lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I suspect the SF vote in the republic would be higher if Adams was gone. It also might result in a North South split depending on who his replacement is. One thing they need to do is to stop showing support for 'good republicans' involved in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

galljga1 wrote: »
    I suspect the SF vote in the republic would be higher if Adams was gone. It also might result in a North South split depending on who his replacement is. One thing they need to do is to stop showing support for 'good republicans' involved in crime.

Totally agree. If Adams was gone I would consider SF, I really like McDonald as a speaker and think she could make a great leader, but with him in power there's not a hope id ever vote for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭votecounts

ffs, another bs thread set up to have a go a sinn fein.
    bye the way have you heard the strong rumours that michael noonan and enda kenny will join FF as they want to broaden their right wing agenda.
    The mods should really look at locking these threads which it would do if it were regarding any political party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

votecounts wrote: »
    bye the way have you heard the strong rumours that michael noonan and enda kenny will join FF as they want to broaden their right wing agenda.
    The mods should really look at locking these threads which it would do if it were regarding any political party.

TBH it is an interesting scenario. After all if ML senses that GA is going to stick around or she is going to be passed up for a more "Northern friendly" candidate then something like this could be a runner.

To be fair to the mods this was moved from the main forum where it was classified as "Political Theory". It lost that label in the move. It is obviously a hypothetical situation.

Again as someone who dislikes SF the longer that Adams stays leader the better because it does limit their ability to penetrate the demographics who do vote in numbers and it limits their ability to get transfers. Looking at SF impartially and without my obvious bias I cannot understand the thought process at holding onto the aging class of politicians who do have tainted pasts and are stopping the party from taking the next step in politics here in the South.

• Advertisement

Maybe you know someone who could 'dissappear' the thread?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

To show this up for the madness it is I'll offer anyone a charity bet of €100 that MLMcD will not be going to Fianna Fáil in next 12 months.

I'll also give you odds of 3/1.

If anyone takes the bet they can choose which registered charity the winnings go to.

Mod Note:

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that this was just rhetoric that went too far. However, this is not the place to be laying on bets so no more talk of this. I've deleted the other posts about this.

To clarify - discussing odds available from say Paddy Power is fine, suggesting a hypothetical bet or gentleman's bet is fine, but we are not getting involved in actual betting.

Mod Note:

The charter is clear about not getting into back seat modding. If you think any post or group of posts breaches the charter you can report same.

FYI, there already is a thread about the next government being FG and FF. Mary Lou was also a previous member of FF so it isn't all that far fetched.

But we've been through the whole "SF are being picked on by the nasty mods" dance many times, and it's just not true. I always offer people who make that allegation the opportunity to raise it in site feedback, which is the appropriate place to do so, and I'll make that same suggestion to you too if you are genuine about your view that there is biased moderation. But don't raise it on thread.
    Maybe you know someone who could 'dissappear' the thread?

Mod Note:

Comments like this are beneath the standards required by the charter, even allowing for some leeway given the upcoming election.

Sounds like you are embarressed at being Irish! lol.

And rightly so! 95% of this countries people are sheep who cant think for themselves! Its actually depressing knowing how thick my country men and women are!

gandalf wrote: »
    TBH it is an interesting scenario. After all if ML senses that GA is going to stick around or she is going to be passed up for a more "Northern friendly" candidate then something like this could be a runner.

To be fair to the mods this was moved from the main forum where it was classified as "Political Theory". It lost that label in the move. It is obviously a hypothetical situation.

Again as someone who dislikes SF the longer that Adams stays leader the better because it does limit their ability to penetrate the demographics who do vote in numbers and it limits their ability to get transfers. Looking at SF impartially and without my obvious bias I cannot understand the thought process at holding onto the aging class of politicians who do have tainted pasts and are stopping the party from taking the next step in politics here in the South.

Its going to be interesting times indeed when adams finally leaves SF! What a service that man has done for the people of the north all his adult life. Hell be remembered fondly and rightly so!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If Gerry had the best interests of Sinn Fein at heart he would give himself the Heave Ho as Party leader.

Its not all about You Gerry !

• Advertisement

What a service that man has done for the people of the north all his adult life.

Over 50% of the people of Northern Ireland would disagree quite strongly with you I warrant. And I suspect a good portion of the remainder wouldn't agree with you either.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Go Tobban

It just goes to show how ridiculous the Irish political system is, when a member from one party with a differing view in economic/social policy can seamlessly ''transfer'' to another party. I know it more than likely won't happen in this case but the fact that it is even being entertained is funny to me

Go Tobban wrote: »
    It just goes to show how ridiculous the Irish political system is, when a member from one party with a differing view in economic/social policy can seamlessly ''transfer'' to another party. I know it more than likely won't happen in this case but the fact that it is even being entertained is funny to me

Not really both parties are populist parties. It's unlikely but it is interesting and as I suggested if FF pulled off this coup it would disembowel SF in the South.

Surely Gerry Adams will go after the Easter Rising 2016 commemorations . If he doesn't then he does not have the good of Sinn Fein/Republicanism/Ireland at heart.

blinding wrote: »
    Surely Gerry Adams will go after the Easter Rising 2016 commemorations . If he doesn't then he does not have the good of Sinn Fein/Republicanism/Ireland at heart.

And if he does it means SF fought the General Election with a fallacy of a leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

If this is the level of attack we are at I don't think I want to debate on this site anymore.roll on the election and we'll take stock then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

For sinn fein ever to rule in this nation they must re-brand and get rid of the old guard. Gerry must go.

And a rebrand to Sinn Fein Nua or something.

A re-branded Sinn Fein have the potential to get c. 30% of the Irish electorate on side and be a force in Irish politics in the next 10 years. Old Sinn Fein with Gerry will always struggle to get more than 15%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

blinding wrote: »
    For what its worth I do not see Mary Lou as the next Sinn Fein Leader.

Probably either Connor Murphy or Pearce Doherty. I would go for Pearce but will he carry enough influence in the stronghold of the North.
    Matt Carthy is the most impressive member of Sinn Fein I've seen speaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,283 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Realistically Gerry is going nowhere. He's the Robert Mugabe of irish politics.

Sinn Fein have to grow the cahunas(?) to give Gerry Adams the Heave Ho.

Normal political parties find a way to remove Leaders that are holding them back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

They'd fly it if they weren't called Sinn Fein. Simples.

Then Mary Lou could stay on and not worry about Kim Il Adams either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

North Fein, South Fein is the future. Comrades all.

MadYaker wrote: »
    Realistically Gerry is going nowhere. He's the Robert Mugabe of irish politics.

Robert Mugabe was never a member of the IRA.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Robert Mugabe was never a member of the IRA.

Well, if he was, he denies it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

eisen1968 wrote: »
    Rumour has it that Elvis was seen canvassing for FF in south Wexford last night as well.

No - that was Mick Wallace wearing his bling

For sinn fein ever to rule in this nation they must re-brand and get rid of the old guard. Gerry must go.

And a rebrand to Sinn Fein Nua or something.

A re-branded Sinn Fein have the potential to get c. 30% of the Irish electorate on side and be a force in Irish politics in the next 10 years. Old Sinn Fein with Gerry will always struggle to get more than 15%.

So we have a man who brings the party from its knees to what it is today and when hes given his whole life to the party and made it what it is today, its time to bring him to the pier and push him off lol. You lot are insane! Itll take a brave man to even think about doing that to Gerry!

If Mary Lou is watching Gerry on the debate tonight she must be cringing !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

The day Mary Lou joins FF will be the day Kanye West is leading the party
    and his darling wife Kim will be made a Minister for Assterity.

So we have a man who brings the party from its knees to what it is today and when hes given his whole life to the party and made it what it is today, its time to bring him to the pier and push him off lol. You lot are insane! Itll take a brave man to even think about doing that to Gerry!

For obvious reasons.

• Advertisement

For obvious reasons.

And rightly so. If I where him, I wouldn't let anyone push me aside after what he's done for the party

And rightly so. If I where him, I wouldn't let anyone push me aside after what he's done for the party

He certainly changed his party alright. There was a time when Sinn Fein did'nt recognise the 6 counties as British and nobody in Sinn Fein would take the Queen's shilling. Now there are hundreds of them getting it for 'community' work.

He certainly changed his party alright. There was a time when Sinn Fein did'nt recognise the 6 counties as British and nobody in Sinn Fein would take the Queen's shilling. Now there are hundreds of them getting it for 'community' work.

There was no other way to go. The war ran its course and time to achieve a UI through political means! Anyone who thinks the Brits would have surrendered the North through more war is insane! The Brits could have steamrolled all us in a heartbeat if they'd wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

smurgen wrote: »
    If this is the level of attack we are at I don't think I want to debate on this site anymore.roll on the election and we'll take stock then.

Mod:

Indeed, a few posts deleted. Discuss issues please, not looks, cup size or throw abuse at individuals including candidates.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Latest is that Mary Lou has been given until the end of March to rejoin or get off the pot. It is reckoned her bargaining power has been diminished on account of Fianna Fails success and Sinn fein's peak not having amounted to that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd be happy to see this. I don't think she has any real future in SF right now and she is a capable politician. Having to stand by the likes of slab Murphy and the Maria Cahil affair surely has to have been pushing the limits of her tolerance and loyalty to SF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I have criticised MLMcD many times in the past on here (she's a champagne socialist and comes across as an absolute idiot when she speaks) however, the latter issue might be because she's spouting SF party lines and not her own opinion. I think she also sees a power vacuum in FF and perhaps an opportunity to be Tánaiste of an FF minority government.

I'd say MLMcD would take a lot of votes with her if we had another election in the next 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Having to stand by the likes of slab Murphy and the Maria Cahil affair surely has to have been pushing the limits of her tolerance and loyalty to SF.

It shows she's loyal.

It also shows she's an immoral gee bag who'll happily defend murderers and criminals when it suits her own agenda. Standing by the corruption she'll encounter in FF will seem like a walk in park in comparison

LiamoSail wrote: »
    It shows she's loyal.

It also shows she's an immoral gee bag who'll happily defend murderers and criminals when it suits her own agenda. Standing by the corruption she'll encounter in FF will seem like a walk in park in comparison

FF did more harm to this country than a few murderers ever did. FF has effected every single household on this island for years to come. That to me is worse than a few murders!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Please let this happen. It's a win win for all. Mary Lou regains her senses and Sinn Fein take a blow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Punkyblip

FF did more harm to this country than a few murderers ever did. FF has effected every single household on this island for years to come. That to me is worse than a few murders!

That is an incredibly insensitive comment to make about the victims of conflict.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement