Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin

Options
  • 18-02-2016 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently returned home after living abroad and have secured work in Dublin. But it has been impossible to get a place sorted to live! Are all the landlords terrible at replying even though they are charging extortionate amounts or is it just me?

It was easier to get a job and move to Canada than it is to come home!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Have you tried phoning them between the hours specified or are you just sending emails?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Have you tried phoning them between the hours specified or are you just sending emails?

Doing both! But even when I get a bite they are very slow or non responsive. Even after sending on references etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,995 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    Doing both! But even when I get a bite they are very slow or non responsive. Even after sending on references etc.

Best time to call is in the evening when people are finished work. I wouldn't bother personally with sending emails, always better to ring. Leave a message and if their interested they will phone you back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

My thoughts as a LL. At a recent viewing for a room I had going:

10+ definitely turning up for the viewing! Rental crisis etc.
    1 email to say found something
    4 showed up.

Thats an improvement on the 2 that showed up the last time. I won't be doing open viewings anymore I'll be getting people to pop along individually and going with the first one that we get along with. Now I'd then be polite enough to log back in to daft and press one button, but many are not. I would only go with new ads OP.

It was a similar story in renting the out my apartment. Loads of enquiries, less viewings, fewer still willing to commit on the day. You then get someone who is willing to commit and that you like and that's who it ends up going to. Again, one would hope the ad gets taken down but with agency involvement I expect the chances of that are slim. I don't use an agency.

The hype about what it's like in Dublin (as much of it is hype if you're a single professional) is feeding into people making lots of enquiries, which mean amatuer LLs have a hard time keeping up with everyone. Keep plugging away at new ads and if you find something you like be ready to go.

Cheers guys. Yeah I've called at different times and viewed places, but wasn't offered anything without first providing references which I had to get, and did within a day and now haven't heard anything back. I will just continue and hopefully something will come up soon. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. Yeah I've called at different times and viewed places, but wasn't offered anything without first providing references which I had to get, and did within a day and now haven't heard anything back. I will just continue and hopefully something will come up soon. Thanks!

Not for the room as it's not such a big deal but for an apartment I had people turn up better organised than most of the barristers I know turning up to court cases.

Have everything ready to go. Take the deposit with you but keep it quiet you have it and don't hand over anything without a receipt and *WORKING* key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

My tip would be have everything ready and even bring copies with you to viewings. Deposit, first month rent, References, Work reference or proof of earnings (might be required).

I know a few people who have missed out when something comes up and they don't have these things ready and have to go get them, there are likely several other people in the queue with these things prepared and ready to go.

As mentioned call whenever possible and organise a meeting in person. No point in cold emailing as good places go incredibly quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not for the room as it's not such a big deal but for an apartment I had people turn up better organised than most of the barristers I know turning up to court cases.

Have everything ready to go. Take the deposit with you but keep it quiet you have it and don't hand over anything without a receipt and *WORKING* key.

I'd never walk around with that much cash on me.

Also - handing over cash at a viewing, you're leaving yourself open to be scammed by someone who's rented the apartment and is now fleecing unsuspecting people before skipping town.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I'd never walk around with that much cash on me.

Also - handing over cash at a viewing, you're leaving yourself open to be scammed by someone who's rented the apartment and is now fleecing unsuspecting people before skipping town.

It's completely up to you. The point is places will go very quickly and people who are ready to go will take priority. Now I'd be more in agreement with you over a flat, but a room, it's much less likely.

I suppose that's why people are willing to pay more and go with an agency.

However never underestimate a scammer, even with the best of precautions there's always a change there's an angle, go with your gut.

Personally I've never an issue with a tenant asking for ID and even references. I appear, sadly, to be in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's completely up to you. The point is places will go very quickly and people who are ready to go will take priority. Now I'd be more in agreement with you over a flat, but a room, it's much less likely.

A room would be less likely alright.

I always pay deposits into bank accounts. I've never handed over cash.

Of course I've been lucky in that I've never had to go looking for a place to live when rooms were scarce like they are now so I've not felt the pressure of trying to get things before they're snapped up.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's crazy. I'm looking at get an apartment or a house with a couple of friends. But I think it's absolutely crazy asking for all of this extra documentation. I personally don't like the idea of giving out my PPS number or earnings or anything like that. It's insane that it's even legal (or is it)

Well Hopefully I get something soon because I'm being put off at the idea of moving there because of rent costs and all this red tape!

Earnings some have an issue with. The PPS number on the other hand is required (or desirable) to register the tenancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yeah it's crazy. I'm looking at get an apartment or a house with a couple of friends. But I think it's absolutely crazy asking for all of this extra documentation. I personally don't like the idea of giving out my PPS number or earnings or anything like that. It's insane that it's even legal (or is it)

Well Hopefully I get something soon because I'm being put off at the idea of moving there because of rent costs and all this red tape!

How else is the landlord to know that you can afford the rent? Just take your word for it?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    How else is the landlord to know that you can afford the rent? Just take your word for it?

To be totally fair there's plenty of other indicators. IMPO it's in the tenant's interest to declare earnings. I'm frequently astonished how much a pair of jeans that wouldn't be taken in by a charity shop cost. It's very possible a fuddy-duddy like me could think you're a down and out when you're actually earning a six figure salary and that hobo is the new black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭MartyMcFly84

Its the reality of the situation renting in Dublin though and it is not likely to change any time soon. These things are pretty standard and you will find it even more difficult if you are unprepared. Think of it as a CV to rent an apartment/house. There is that much competition landlords can pretty much pick and choose who they want in their apartments if its a nice place.

Once you get yourself together its not really that much extra hassle. I would not completely give up on Dublin for the sake of getting some references and other paper work handy.

A lot of other bigger cities would be similar, but the recent jobs boost in the Dublin area has certainly upped the competition. But once you get a place you get a place and don't have to worry about it again for a good while.

To be totally fair there's plenty of other indicators. IMPO it's in the tenant's interest to declare earnings. I'm frequently astonished how much a pair of jeans that wouldn't be taken in by a charity shop cost. It's very possible a fuddy-duddy like me could think you're a down and out when you're actually earning a six figure salary and that hobo is the new black.

Like what? Rocking up in a posh car, having a D4 accent, wearing expensive clothes? They are all subjective things imo. They can be borrowed or faked, to create an impression of affluence, in order to pull the wool over someones eyes. The only concrete things a landlord has to go on, are earnings statements, financial statements etc etc. He'd be mad not to ask for them imo. I completely understand a renters reluctance to provide that sort of personal documentation, but I think a landlord is also entitled to ask for proof of income to protect his own interests.

Like what? Rocking up in a posh car, having a D4 accent, wearing expensive clothes? They are all subjective things imo. They can be borrowed or faked, to create an impression of affluence, in order to pull the wool over someones eyes. The only concrete things a landlord has to go on, are earnings statements, financial statements etc etc. He'd be mad not to ask for them imo. I completely understand a renters reluctance to provide that sort of personal documentation, but I think a landlord is also entitled to ask for proof of income to protect his own interests.

I honestly can't quantify it. I hired people for almost twenty years and I could tell within 15 seconds of meeting you if you were going to make a decent employee. I've only been a LL for a couple of years, I've found the skills transfer (so far!) Have I rejected people who probably would have turned out alright - I expect so.

In regards to the above indicators, they would put me off as that's not the market segment I'm in. Bank statements etc can also be faked with relative ease.

The problem with asking for more and more is you limit your demand. Also tbh once I've seen and checked a LL reference I expect the people I'm potentially renting to, to be adults and not rent something they can't afford. The other issue is I've always believed in if it's good for the goose... so if I'm asking for proof of earnings, which I'm not saying I wouldn't in certain situations, I'd expect to furnish the tenant with proof the mortgage is being paid.

At some point a level of trust has to be applied. There's no real right answer what that level is.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Just ask yourself the question , if you owned the property would'nt you make sure you had fully checked out the prospective tenants in advance.

I honestly can't quantify it. I hired people for almost twenty years and I could tell within 15 seconds of meeting you if you were going to make a decent employee. I've only been a LL for a couple of years, I've found the skills transfer (so far!) Have I rejected people who probably would have turned out alright - I expect so.

In regards to the above indicators, they would put me off as that's not the market segment I'm in. Bank statements etc can also be faked with relative ease.

The problem with asking for more and more is you limit your demand. Also tbh once I've seen and checked a LL reference I expect the people I'm potentially renting to, to be adults and not rent something they can't afford. The other issue is I've always believed in if it's good for the goose... so if I'm asking for proof of earnings, which I'm not saying I wouldn't in certain situations, I'd expect to furnish the tenant with proof the mortgage is being paid.

At some point a level of trust has to be applied. There's no real right answer what that level is.

I'm sorry, but the bit in bold, no offense, but that is daft. If you can't pay your mortgage, that has nothing like the negative long term consequences that a landlord suffers, if his tenant doesn't pay his rent. You can't compare a tenant paying his rent, to you paying your mortgage. They are two entirely different things.

If (for arguments sake) you fall behind on your payments, the bank reposess the house and the tenant has to leave, he'll suffer the inconvenience of having to find somewhere else to live. It will be a major pain, but it won't have any major long term effect on his life, his future or his finances.

If someone doesn't pay their rent consistently, it can take a landlord a year to get an eviction notice, and get them out of his property. That could have very serious consequences for the landlord, if he couldn't pay the mortgage on the property while all that is going on.

If you decide to trust your instincts and have faith in them and human nature, that's great. I'd love to be so trusting. But overall, I'd say that far more landlords who follow your approach get burned, as opposed to the ones who ask for financial verification. If all of your experience of tenants paying their rent so far have been positive, wait until you get to experience a bad one. That's when the real fun starts. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Hi, offer a 2/3 mth rent up front and one month deposit

Your first months rent payment then starts 2/3 months later if you know what I mean.

I was the first to view a Place and got it years ago when demand was similar to now

It shows financial strength

• Advertisement

worded wrote: »
    Hi, offer a 2/3 mth rent up front and one month deposit

Your first months rent payment then starts 2/3 months later if you know what I mean.

I was the first to view a Place and got it years ago when demand was similar to now

It shows financial strength

Don't do this.

I'm sorry, but the bit in bold, no offense, but that is daft. If you can't pay your mortgage, that has nothing like the negative long term consequences that a landlord suffers, if his tenant doesn't pay his rent. You can't compare a tenant paying his rent, to you paying your mortgage. They are two entirely different things.

If (for arguments sake) you fall behind on your payments, the bank reposess the house and the tenant has to leave, he'll suffer the inconvenience of having to find somewhere else to live. It will be a major pain, but it won't have any major long term effect on his life, his future or his finances.

This is, unfortunately, a fairly typical Irish LL perspective. You completely underestimate how much stress it puts on people. It's their home and the law on receivership in this country is an absolute mess when it comes to things like this going pear shaped.

If I'm looking at someone's ability to pay, then them asking me for the same is perfectly reasonable in my book. What is the issue with showing a tenant a recent mortgage statement anyway - again if I'm asking for bank statements (which I actually don;t see an issue with) is it not somewhat hypocritical to then not want to show mine?
    If someone doesn't pay their rent consistently, it can take a landlord a year to get an eviction notice, and get them out of his property. That could have very serious consequences for the landlord, if he couldn't pay the mortgage on the property while all that is going on.

If one is this exposed then they need to drastically re evaluate their investment strategy. Granted some people are there not of their own choosing, but again it's not overly difficult, in most cases, to put a contingency plan in place.
    If you decide to trust your instincts and have faith in them and human nature, that's great. I'd love to be so trusting. But overall, I'd say that far more landlords who follow your approach get burned, as opposed to the ones who ask for financial verification. If all of your experience of tenants paying their rent so far have been positive, wait until you get to experience a bad one. That's when the real fun starts. :rolleyes:

If you're equating an ability to pay with a cast iron guarantee they will pay I believe you might be in a worse situation. If you think it's worth attempting to pursue even a solvent tenant through the courts (well more enforcement) I think you might be waiting to experience the real, real fun! :pac:

Well in every other property I've lived in (several in Limerick, a couple in Vancouver and Dublin a few years ago) I've never had to provide such information. I'm working in a skilled job with references to back it up and I've provided a deposit and first months rent. I'm not gonna do that and sign up for a years lease and bail the following month and lose the extortionate deposit!

I'm not trying to buy the gaff!

Advertisement