Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male: Any hidden gems for suit buying?

• 18-02-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Have a wedding on Saturday to attend and need a suit fairly sharpish. I have left it late I know but life just got in the way.

I would need somewhere that does decent slim fitting suits off the hanger. I am 5ft 9/10, 70kg. I had an idea in my head of a separate blazer/grey with separate colored trousers, some nice brogues. I had a look around and I just could not get the combo together that I was happy with, so happy to go for a decent slim fit suit. Happy enough to spend up to 500/600 euro as I have a few weddings coming up.

Any places do stylish slim fit suits?

Thanks,
    Easy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Your best bet is to head to a department store like arnotts, loads of concessions there with lots of options to get everything in one place, even if not in the one store.

Otherwise somewhere like M&S will probably see you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Thanks. I did go to Arnott's and M&S. Found a nice suit in M&S but the trousers would just not fit me right at all. Arnott's I could not find anything I liked looks wise.

You could try getting the suit you liked in M&S and bringing it to an alterations place. You'd end up paying for fast service to have it ready to wear saturday though, and it is a risk unless you have a place you go regularly.

Have you tried the likes of River Island or Topman? Not great quality perhaps but you'll definitely find a slimmer cut suit there. Where do you buy your normal work gear?

TM Lewin usually for shirts, no need to be fully suited in my job so shirts and pants/business casual.

Thanks for suggestions. Tried a jacket from Topman, which do fit me with their skinny fit but as you say not the best quality around. May try Reiss or the likes, I do have a pair of black pants that I was trying to match off with a blazer/white shirt and some brougues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Where are you based?

There is a fantastic menswear shop in Cork city. Tony's on Marlboro street. They do suits there, and tailor everything to fit perfectly. It's not cheap, usually italian imported, but very good quality.

• Advertisement

Actually have you tried Debenhams? Their Hammond & Co range (Patrick Grant) is really great and you could pick up something interesting. Not sure how slim they fit in suits. But they do some great blazers & waistcoats. Could be an interesting look to get a matching blazer & waistcoat that contrasts with your black pants. Most of the other ranges in Debenhams are pretty good too, their suit range seems pretty wide in styles & colours, particularly in the main branch on Henry St.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

Penthouse Menswear, on the top floor of the Jervis Centre had some nice three-piece suits starting from €250, when I was in there on Monday.

You know I forgot about Debenhams downstairs, was only in Zara yesterday, always forget about their men’s department, will have a goo. And yes, that’s exactly my original plan, some contrast with the black pants/brogues….think the waistcoat might tie it all in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,677 ✭✭✭✭fits

For your budget you might be able to pick up something really nice. Have you looked in Hackett? Patrick Cheary on Clarendon St might be worth a look as well. He is very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭keavebm

Next have some good suits and there slim fit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭ongarite

Massimo Dutti are excellent IMO.
    Very nice and stylish slim fit suits, shirts are good quality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Danielle D

If you're in Dublin try Dorian Black off Grafton St or in the GPO arcade. Mix and match sizes available in short, regular and long fittings. Not too expensive either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Easy Rider wrote: »
    TM Lewin usually for shirts, no need to be fully suited in my job so shirts and pants/business casual.

Thanks for suggestions. Tried a jacket from Topman, which do fit me with their skinny fit but as you say not the best quality around. May try Reiss or the likes, I do have a pair of black pants that I was trying to match off with a blazer/white shirt and some brougues.

Take the black pants and burn them, or donate to SVP. They are next to impossible to combine with a jacket, or anything else for that matter. Black pants with a white shirt is especially dire unless you want to look like a waiter. Navy pants are marginally easier to work with but it's still not a great colour for non-suit trousers.

If you have trousers in grey you could find a navy blazer to go with them rather than a suit. Add in one of the TM Lewin shirts with a nice tie and a crisp white linen pocket square and call it a day.

Take the black pants and burn them, or donate to SVP. They are next to impossible to combine with a jacket, or anything else for that matter. Black pants with a white shirt is especially dire unless you want to look like a waiter.

Bit harsh. Black trousers, white shirt, and a great windowpane or prince of Wales check blazer and preferably matching waistcoat looks great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Bit harsh. Black trousers, white shirt, and a great windowpane or prince of Wales check blazer and preferably matching waistcoat looks great.

A light grey POW, maybe. Nothing else really works with black though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

A suit should never be "skinny fit" or "slim fit". A suit should fit around your shoulders, and then be altered by a tailor to fit your body. It will then look like it fits you, and be 100% better looking than a "slim fit" suit.

So if the wedding was Saturday just gone, how did it go?

I just ordered this from Suit Supply: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_IE/suits/washington-blue-plain/P4754.html?vpid=P475417

They normally deliver within 3 days, which would've cut it fine if you'd needed alterations.

Went with Massimo Dutti structured blazer, nice pocket square, whit shirt, navy pants. Thanks for all the suggestions, I did not burn my black trousers as I have plenty of clothes that can match black trousers/jeans. Blazer is below.

http://www.massimodutti.com/ie/en/men/nyc-limited-edition/limited-edition-jacket-c1319517p7108017.html?colorId=400&categoryNav=1319517

Advertisement