Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any ipad pro owners?

Options
  • 18-02-2016 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭

How are you feeling about the device a few months on?

I am travelling to singapore in a few weeks and fancy picking one up on the way home to try, i sold my air 2 because my 6s plus was ticking most of the boxes but a much larger screen may get used, esp as most of my use is at home anyway

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Love mine, use it more than my previous iPads. But, I mainly bought it for the Apple Pencil, so that's been the difference for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Love mine, use it more than my previous iPads. But, I mainly bought it for the Apple Pencil, so that's been the difference for me.

But you don't get the pencil with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

smash wrote: »
    But you don't get the pencil with it...
    It only works with the iPad pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Effects wrote: »
    It only works with the iPad pro.

Is the app situation any better. Used one briefly, shortly after launch and it just reminded me of android tablets. Most of the apps were just blown up for the larger screen and just looked terrible and didn't take advantage of the screen. Slightly curious as I finally killed my iPad 2 this week and looking to replace it. Will probably wait for the air 3 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't have one. I'm fine with macbook/imac and a wacom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Hoping to be in US this year, also wondering are the worth getting or just a bigger ipad. Currently using an iPad 3 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

I got mine recently and it truly is a pleasure to use. The only gripe I have is that I pay for MS word on my PC and it was always free on the ipad. Now MS claim that a 12.9 screen really isn't a 'mobile device' so I need to pay again for the ipad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

donalh087 wrote: »
    I got mine recently and it truly is a pleasure to use. The only gripe I have is that I pay for MS word on my PC and it was always free on the ipad. Now MS claim that a 12.9 screen really isn't a 'mobile device' so I need to pay again for the ipad.

Just to use Apple's Pages. It's free.

I write for a living and the format has to be Word.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Doesn't the MS Home & Family license cover 5 devices (€99yr/€10mth)?

iPad Pro has been my main evening device for some time now. Absolutely love the larger screen but admittedly my use is mostly reading/browsing/emails.

I found the Apple Pencil particularly underwhelming but that's probably more to do with my use case than anything inherently wrong with the pencil. The charging arrangements aren't great either so it spends most of its life with a flat battery.

• Advertisement

Hands up. I'm a muppet. I set up the wrong subscription on the iPad. It works now :-) The iPad Pro is fantastic !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Pages supports Word files.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Pages supports Word files.

Whilst I'd agree with this if you do anything out of the ordinary with Word, Excel, PowerPoint you'll run into issues on a regular basis.

I've recently switched jobs which requires me to fill in an excel sheet every week. I pulled my hair out trying to get Numbers to 1. Open 2. Edit 3. Have it in the same format the person receiving the xls file wanted it in. I gave up and in 10 minutes had it done and dusted inside Excel.

If your a solo operation perhaps but I've found very few people are and at some point the file will get some sort of issue (be it layout, formatting etc).

Whilst I'd agree with this if you do anything out of the ordinary with Word, Excel, PowerPoint you'll run into issues on a regular basis.

I've recently switched jobs which requires me to fill in an excel sheet every week. I pulled my hair out trying to get Numbers to 1. Open 2. Edit 3. Have it in the same format the person receiving the xls file wanted it in. I gave up and in 10 minutes had it done and dusted inside Excel.

If your a solo operation perhaps but I've found very few people are and at some point the file will get some sort of issue (be it layout, formatting etc).

Well, Numbers was always crap. I've tried it in the past and gave up on it as well. I was referring specifically to Pages which is fine for exporting Word files. Which is all most people, even writers, need. If my job involved taking in and spitting back out a lot of Excel or Powerpoint files, then I'd agree you're better off with Office. But I'd be expecting the job to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭shanec1928

You have the option to save in word format btw

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Word is pretty good on the iPad these days.

Zcott wrote: »
    Word is pretty good on the iPad these days.

Yup, being using it, with Dropbox, on both iPad Pro and PC and the crossover is seamless. At last.

Advertisement