Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crumbling House

• 18-02-2016 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

My wife & I purchased our second hand home back in 2006.The house was surveyed and some repairs noted (flat roofing etc),but we were never in a position to do this, but now basically everything is falling apart (front door& back door rotting away, gutters busted, back garden concrete is crumbling away and drainage issues, cooker & fridge packed in)kitchen presses falling apart, work top swollen with damp, wooden floor all cracked from wear and tear, need radiators (cant use bath for son as its Baltic) & other have plumbing problems the list goes on! I have been doing DIY jobs but it’s just constantly a quick fix, temporary repair just papering over the cracks cause I don't have the disposable income to buy the tools/ladder/guttering/ radiators etc needed. I have been in same position since 2011 so its going downhill! Wife works part time now due to cost of child care. In negative equity & both my wife and I have CU loans going back over 5 years & not making full repayments so making limited head way on these. We don't live the high life and have made all the sacrifices (shop in aldi & lidl/changed energy supply/cancelled sky/no social life/buy stuff off 2nd hand websites etc). Could some one please suggest an option to get my house into some sort of liveable condition for my wife and child!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For quick bodge jobs sometimes videos on Youtube will give you the basics to do a running repair or cheap replacement.
    Selling the house and using the money to rent instead so the landlord looks after repairs is not really an option if your in negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭TonyInch

Would it be acceptable to the Bank to reduce my mortgage repayments for a time to get the house away from being a squat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

TonyInch wrote: »
    Would it be acceptable to the Bank to reduce my mortgage repayments for a time to get the house away from being a squat?

Sounds like a night mare homes from hell kind of stuff are you in a good area house prices are increasing but so is the cost of good trades men but you would be surprised what a diference a coat of paint and some new flooring would do dont look at whole house tackle 1 room at a time and give yourself a realistic timeframe of say 6 months per room the negative equity will sort it self out with time best of luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Another idea could be check around your circle of friends for trades people or perhaps they have contacts who are, you might have a skill they need like doing their accounts, setting up a website for them whatever and you could agree to barter for them to carry out repairs.

Advertisement