Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Met Eireann's weather reporting fit for purpose

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Sky News sometimes use a presenter but they also have the show host reading a script as the graphic plays - there is no difference except that the "weather girl" might be a bit more chatty.

It's an old fashioned idea & a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I'll give ya the ridiculous outfits, but without someone actually describing the weather, its just gonna be another unpersonal AccuWeather style forecast.

Unpersonal ? Weather is factual.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Discodog wrote: »
    Unpersonal ? Weather is factual.

Theres so much wrong with you subconsciously said:D

Forecasting is predictions, with many variables that only a forecast like RTE can truly project. It's not AT ALL factual, that's past weather.

An example of an Accuweather forecast is "Tomorrow, 10c, 39km/h wind, partly sunny"

When an RTE forecast would be like "Tomorrow will start off cold, dry, calm and frosty, temperatures will quickly rise during the day aided by early sunshine. An atlantic weather front will move in during the day bringing cloud, increasingly strong southwesterly winds and some drizzle by evening."

Which is useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭boardise

I'm a golfer and as I don't like playing in the rain -I watch weather forecasts like a hawk.
    I have to say I find Met E to be generally unreliable and frequently downright wrong.

Advertisement