Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landline help

Options
  • 18-02-2016 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Bought a new wireless landline phone a few days ago. Just arrived today from the UK.

The base station for the phone to sit in has this cable connection : http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/meDL8YGSRuM_qeWT6xDmucw.jpg (the white cable part in the pic)

My port in the wall has no such connection. Only the standard RJ45 looking one.

Anything I can do to get it hooked up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Many thanks. Didn't spot that when searching on eBay earlier.

How about when my new router arrives for my broadband? Is there a dual port version?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,459 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Techmaster wrote: »
    Many thanks. Didn't spot that when searching on eBay earlier.

How about when my new router arrives for my broadband? Is there a dual port version?

If you mean will it have RJ11 and RJ45 ports? Unlikely, it will probably have two RJ45 sockets. That's if you're talking about the UPC router with the home phone service activated. Virtually all phone equipment supplied in Ireland has RJ45 sockets, it's only when you buy consumer kit from the UK that you come across the problem you've encountered with the BT plug.

The base station of your cordless phone probably has an RJ45 connection so you should be able to unplug the cable and replace it with a standard phone cable with RJ45 plugs at each end - that will eliminate the need for the adapter and give you a more robust connection. Those adapters vary greatly in quality and can work loose leading to the phone becoming disconnected without you knowing it until you go to make an outgoing call.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

coylemj wrote: »
    If you mean will it have RJ11 and RJ45 ports? Unlikely, it will probably have two RJ45 sockets. That's if you're talking about the UPC router with the home phone service activated. Virtually all phone equipment supplied in Ireland has RJ45 sockets, it's only when you buy consumer kit from the UK that you come across the problem you've encountered with the BT plug.

The base station of your cordless phone probably has an RJ45 connection so you should be able to unplug the cable and replace it with a standard phone cable with RJ45 plugs at each end - that will eliminate the need for the adapter and give you a more robust connection. Those adapters vary greatly in quality and can work loose leading to the phone becoming disconnected without you knowing it until you go to make an outgoing call.

You absolute genius! Thanks for that, just swapped the wires as you suggested! :)

Advertisement