Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ballinamore, Leitrim

Options
  • 18-02-2016 6:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48

Hi all, I've posted in the Leitrim forum but it's quiet there so hoping someone here can help. Myself and my family are hoping to move from Dublin to Ballinamore. Our teenage son is 15 and would hopefully start 5th year in the community college in September. We will contact the school to gain more information and hopefully arrange to call down and see it, but we're wondering are their many teenagers in the town and what activities/clubs there would be for our son as we want to ensure we move somewhere he can make friends and won't be isolated. We are also wondering what the area is like in general would there be many activities for ourselves (we're in our 40s) as we would be keen to make friends and get involved in the community. Also is there anything negative we need to know about such as antisocial behaviour or areas we should avoid.
    I hope ye don't mind all the questions but we are trying to do as much research as possible in advance.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I live about 45 mins drive from Ballinamore and I would always have considered it a "not worth the drive even for a look" sort of place. We had a boat on the Ballyconnell canal for a week last year and stayed in the marina for two nights. I thought it was lovely and the locals were very friendly. There is the best hardware shop in Ireland called The Forge on the main street: literally everything from a needle to an anchor! We found plenty to do there although it was only a flying visit.
    We moved from Dublin 2 years ago and I would never go back. If you get involved in the community GAA/ Soccer/ Drama whatever, you won't be short of friend or help when in need.
    My advice would be to spend a weekend there and get chatting to people. The people in The Forge will give you lots of info, there is a library also on the main street. Also a lovely pub called Smyths (?) that serves lovely food.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Daizee

I live about 45 mins drive from Ballinamore and I would always have considered it a "not worth the drive even for a look" sort of place. We had a boat on the Ballyconnell canal for a week last year and stayed in the marina for two nights. I thought it was lovely and the locals were very friendly. There is the best hardware shop in Ireland called The Forge on the main street: literally everything from a needle to an anchor! We found plenty to do there although it was only a flying visit.
    We moved from Dublin 2 years ago and I would never go back. If you get involved in the community GAA/ Soccer/ Drama whatever, you won't be short of friend or help when in need.
    My advice would be to spend a weekend there and get chatting to people. The people in The Forge will give you lots of info, there is a library also on the main street. Also a lovely pub called Smyths (?) that serves lovely food.

Hi thanks for your reply, we would definitely be interested in joining clubs as don't know anyone in the area so want to ensure we can make a few friends. We've been down a few times already and really like the area but was mainly on a Saturday when it was extremely quiet with no one about so we're planning to stay for a few days midweek soon. We will definitely call into the Forge and smiths as you suggested. It's great to hear from someone who also moved from Dublin and have settled in well. Hopefully others living in Ballinamore will see this and be able to give me some information on specific areas within the town. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭big_show

I work in Dublin but come down most weekends to the parents house not far from Ballinamore.

Bar Food is served in Smyths, The Standing Stone Hotel, The Commercial Hotel and Priors.

The Ballinamore family festival is on around the 2nd week in August and is generally its busiest time.

There's not any anti social behavior that I've heard, but then again I'm in Dublin during the week.

big_show wrote: »
    I work in Dublin but come down most weekends to the parents house not far from Ballinamore.

Bar Food is served in Smyths, The Standing Stone Hotel, The Commercial Hotel and Priors.

The Ballinamore family festival is on around the 2nd week in August and is generally its busiest time.

There's not any anti social behavior that I've heard, but then again I'm in Dublin during the week.

Hi big show thanks for your reply, seems like a lovely area but just want to make sure we find out as much as possible about the area in advance. Have you heard any reports about the community college, good or bad? We are also looking at Drumshanbo but feel perhaps Ballinamore would be busier/have more to offer community wise. All information is much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I lived years in Leitrim and almost moved to Ballinamore. It comes across as an attractive town and the surroundings ie lakes etc are lovely. Drumshanbo I know very well and it is a very quiet " dead" little place. Of the two Ballinamore has far far more to offer. Almost nothing happens in Drumshanbo..Ballinamore has my vote and I was sorry the move fell though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

There's a good few teenagers about the town, most would be quiet and respectful, not a whole pile of messing goes on.

GAA, Soccer and hurling would be the main sports, there's also and athletic club and badminton runs over the winter months. I think Mohill still has a rugby club too, it's 15-25 minutes away depending on the side of the town you're on.

The new school is really nice, I attended the new facilities for two years and really liked it. Most of the teachers are very nice and very helpful, you get to know all of the staff and the principal, as most of them are local people anyways.

When I was in the school there was never a whole pile of drama, doubt that's changed since.

Priors and Smyth's are really nice pubs in the town, The Commercial does good food too.

Not sure if you'd consider him too young, but the club in town let's most people his age group in at the weekends, same with most of the bars. Given 90% of the people in the club will be from 15-19 he's not going to be lost in there, just something to be aware of it he asks to go out, it's a regular thing around here. Young people would normally only go out when there's an 18th birthday party on.

As a young lad this may be rose tinted glasses and I've no idea of activities for older people :)

Does he expect to go to college?
    Why not delay the move for two years and it won't be as much of an issue if he is away most of the year.

Edit: a quick Google suggests there are 50-60 in each year of the school.

Why ballinamore if you don't mind me asking?
    Have you family/ friends around there?

It's a grand town if you like very small boring country towns. There's gaa club, I believe they are intermediate or junior level now.
    There's a drama group, if you're that way inclined.
    Back in the day it was a very big Republican town, but it's a lot quieter like that now.
    Your son will probably be grand, there's plenty of teenagers around & genuinely no anti social behaviour I've heard of. The above poster is correct though, the teenagers go to the disco in town from his age, the pubs too. It's been that way as long as I remember. Buses take loads of them to Carrick about 11.30 on a Saturday night to the nightclub there.

There's a drama festival in march every year, which is very good, a different play from around the country everyday.
    The festival in august gets a good crowd.
    There's plenty of pub's but only a couple will fill up on a Saturday, maybe a Friday. Good food in the standing stone, priors pub.
    Loads of lakes & rivers, the fishing is starting to come back having been ruined by the canal refurbishment.

There's a small tesco, and a SuperValu. Swimming pool & gym out at riversdale guesthouse couple of miles outside town, don't know the costs though. Your about 12 miles from the slieve Russell, gym,pool, and golf club there.
    You will find 12 mile in the country is close!!
    There's a golf links in ballinamore also, well attended I believe.
    There used to be foroige/ youth club but I'm not sure if that's still going.

Carrick on Shannon is approx 16 miles. Enniskillen just over 20 miles. Cavan town around 20 odd miles as well, they all have supermarkets/ shopping.
    Your not far from the marble arch caves and the area around florencecourt, which is lovely.
    There are some nice walks out around the slieve an iarann mountain.
    That was much longer than I meant, turns out I don't dislike it after all!!

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll do my best to help out.

No hope of him getting into a club in Carrick on Shannon, wouldn't worry about that until he's 18, he won't even be looking to go.

There's a fairly big teen disco outside of Carrick he can go to if he's too young for the club in Ballinamore.

I think the Foroige club is still going, I forgot about it. Village of Fenagh about 10 mins away has a Foroige anyways.

There's a handball club in Fenagh too, if he'd have interest there

bubblypop wrote: »
    Why ballinamore if you don't mind me asking?
    Have you family/ friends around there?

It's a grand town if you like very small boring country towns. There's gaa club, I believe they are intermediate or junior level now.
    There's a drama group, if you're that way inclined.
    Back in the day it was a very big Republican town, but it's a lot quieter like that now.
    Your son will probably be grand, there's plenty of teenagers around & genuinely no anti social behaviour I've heard of. The above poster is correct though, the teenagers go to the disco in town from his age, the pubs too. It's been that way as long as I remember. Buses take loads of them to Carrick about 11.30 on a Saturday night to the nightclub there.

There's a drama festival in march every year, which is very good, a different play from around the country everyday.
    The festival in august gets a good crowd.
    There's plenty of pub's but only a couple will fill up on a Saturday, maybe a Friday. Good food in the standing stone, priors pub.
    Loads of lakes & rivers, the fishing is starting to come back having been ruined by the canal refurbishment.

There's a small tesco, and a SuperValu. Swimming pool & gym out at riversdale guesthouse couple of miles outside town, don't know the costs though. Your about 12 miles from the slieve Russell, gym,pool, and golf club there.
    You will find 12 mile in the country is close!!
    There's a golf links in ballinamore also, well attended I believe.
    There used to be foroige/ youth club but I'm not sure if that's still going.

Carrick on Shannon is approx 16 miles. Enniskillen just over 20 miles. Cavan town around 20 odd miles as well, they all have supermarkets/ shopping.
    Your not far from the marble arch caves and the area around florencecourt, which is lovely.
    There are some nice walks out around the slieve an iarann mountain.
    That was much longer than I meant, turns out I don't dislike it after all!!

Feel free to ask anything else, I'll do my best to help out.

Thanks bubblypop for all the detailed information, it's a great help. We've been planning on moving from Dublin since last year and have looked at and discounted many areas, we really like Leitrim and to be honest getting away from the rat race of Dublin living. Plus it's hard to find somewhere with good community spirit, hopefully Leitrim will offer us that.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the replies we really appreciate any information and opinions anyone can give regarding the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

My other half is from Ballinamore in Leitrim, and I regularly go down to stay for a long weekend and I have done so for the last 6 years or so.

It is a very nice, peaceful town and has handy shops (Tesco/Supervalu) and some nice pubs too. The people there are very welcoming and I am sure you will fit right in.

I personally wouldn't chose to live there permanently because I prefer the hustle and bustle of the city but I would consider a holiday home there in the future. When the weather is good in the summer it is a fabulous place -there is nothing like a barbecue and having friends & neighbours over.

If I did move to Ballinamore I would probably chose to live on the Willowfied Road -it is close to the main street and there are many houses around so it doesn't feel too remote.

You can get some amazing houses for a fraction of Dublin prices !

Whatever you choose, I wish you the very best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

OP, will you be renting for a while before you buy? I would advise doing this.

If things don't work out for any reason, you still have your house in Dublin, and will not have burnt all your bridges.

My OH is from North Leitrim, the county is an unspoilt gem and is beautiful alright. But if I was to ever move there it would be to somewhere within a 5-10k radius of Carrick on Shannon . Then you have everything you need, shops, train and bus links etc but still rural enough. 50k to Sligo for medical needs at the General Hospital and plenty of shopping etc.

Best of luck hope it all works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Aaaaaaw, this post brought me down memory lane... :) I spent my childhood living in Ballinamore - in Moyola :)

Given that we made the move in the opposite direction, I really don't think I could move to a small town again.

It's a lovely town OP and I wish you and your family all the best. I have fond memories of that place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

I kind of want to move there now... sounds nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

Rang a guy from there yesterday on his mobile. Business call. Call got cut off twice. Guy apologised saying that phone reception in the area was terrible. His number was 087.

Might be worth testing yourself

Boater123 wrote: »
    Rang a guy from there yesterday on his mobile. Business call. Call got cut off twice. Guy apologised saying that phone reception in the area was terrible. His number was 087.

Might be worth testing yourself

One long stretch of road towards Carrick on Shannon has 0 reception for about 5 minutes, everywhere else in the locality is grand.

I'm a good 15 mins drive from the town and can get 4G around the house, nothing wrong with the reception for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Boater123

One long stretch of road towards Carrick on Shannon has 0 reception for about 5 minutes, everywhere else in the locality is grand.

I'm a good 15 mins drive from the town and can get 4G around the house, nothing wrong with the reception for the most part.

Fair enough, I'm not from the area, and only know what that chap said.

I'd hate to live in the blackspot you mentioned (and I don't think my chap lives there either, I'll check with him if I can).

I remember not long after I moved to where I live now, walking around the front garden in a bit of a panic, trying to contact the doctors out hours service, trying to get a signal.

Things have improved since, thanks mainly to changing to another operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

My parents have a log cabin in Drumcoura, which is a development of about 30 ish log cabins around a lake. It's about 3 mins in a car from Ballinamore main street.
    They have a "Saloon" bar which does decent grub & and also have a pretty decent equestrian centre which play host to the now annual "Cowboy & Heroes" festival every summer. My parents have been to it and they said it's great craic and plenty to do for all ages.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and information it really is very much appreciated, just have to find ourselves a suitable property now, check out the school and continue all our research :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement