Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

1000cc sportbikes on the road

• 18-02-2016 6:28pm
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

Just wondering if anyone has a litre sportbike they use on the road. Deliberating whether to get one sometime later in the year.

How do you find it? Is it too much power?
    Is a 600 more fun on the road since you can actually work through the gears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pugzilla wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has a litre sportbike they use on the road. Deliberating whether to get one sometime later in the year.

Friend used to have an R1. Thing was great you could do 50km/h in top no problem then unleash the power when you want.

The vast majority of bikes have enough power to get you in trouble, it's up to the rider to ride within their limits not try to ride to the bikes limits. If you want to push a bike do a track day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I use a big bang R1 and a 996 on the road.

The R1 is gonna get me in trouble one of these days,thats all I will say.
    The grin factor is huge when on it and giving some beans.

20160218_145456_zpsgvuu378g.jpg

A 600cc supersport bike will be more than enough for commuting and having fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Too much power?
    Nah!!!!
    Even when the cops try to pull ya just give them the finger and let her rip!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

blade1 wrote: »
    Too much power?
    Nah!!!!
    Even when the cops try to pull ya just give them the finger and let her rip!!:pac::pac::pac:

I find unless you are acting the complete d!ck,that most police are very sound and nice to deal with.
    Had a few nice compliments about the R1 and the 996 from some of the gardai's finest.
    Alot of them are bikers themselves.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Honestly I find them boring and frustrating a lot of the time as the things that I have to do to get enjoyment are bordering on ridiculous. However the odd occasion when I do get a good run makes it worthwhile. That's why I moved away from inline 4 litre bikes to the R1 and now the 1199 which has a bit of character and more to it than just the performance. That's completely a result of my exposure to mad spins, trackdays etc though. If you haven't had one before it's certainly worth doing.

They are more pleasant on the road than smaller sportsbikes as you don't need to ring the arse off it, plus the non stop wheelies when you hit the power coming out of a corner and the pure power when you do get to open it up fully (even if it's rare) are something you can't replicate. I prefer 1000cc sportsbikes on the road to any smaller ones, but prefer 600 class sportsbikes on the track as you can use their advantages there (higher corner speed and later braking means nothing on the road really) and they just give a more enjoyable experience.

Definitely give it a go. Otherwise you'll always wonder

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

How does the GSX-R750 compare?

From what I've read it seems to be a good compromise between the high-revs of a 600 and the torque of a 1000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

From that ive heard a gsxr 750 is literally the perfect compromise.

I prefer large CC engines as I dont have to wring its neck like I hear a lot of lads on a 600 do. The bike will comfortably cruise at 160kmh and I can go nuts if wanted to.

From what I've read it seems to be a good compromise between the high-revs of a 600 and the torque of a 1000.

It's like a 600 with a slight overbore so still needs revving. Doesn't feel anything like a 1000, just a 600 with more everywhere (which is the appeal of it). If you want a 1000 it's not really ticking the same boxes to be honest. And any 600 is faster than you use on the road (unless you are captain 160mph straight line squid) so it's not a performance thing!
    It's s fantastic bike though - and is a nice bit more powerful (around 20-25hp more than most 600s)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

TBH, you dont need a uber fast 1000cc bike. Any bike with low down torque will give you great joy and usable power on the roads.....you never miss what you never had. Obviously if you have been riding litre sportsbikes for yrs everything else will feel under-powered.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    TBH, you dont need a uber fast 1000cc bike. Any bike with low down torque will give you great joy and usable power on the roads.....you never miss what you never had. Obviously if you have been riding litre sportsbikes for yrs everything else will feel under-powered.

The best bike I've ever ridden for fun on the road is the smr I own. Crippled slow compared to even a 600 on straights but it still makes a show of most on twisty roads and unless it's just dull main road spins it has no problem going faster than almost everybody I've come across on litre bikes too.
    All about finding the bike that ticks the boxes for you and your use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

A few days ago I was thinking of selling my 2002 Fazer 600. It's not being used and had an issue with a spark plug which meant I never drove it for months.

So we fixed the spark plug and took it for a drive yesterday evening. The sound of a 600cc engine working up the revs from 4k to 9k is just amazing. I felt a huge buzz from just using the revs and hearing the exhaust roaring. It is just so light that it was begging to go around corners aggressively.

I've a zzr1400 and a fazer 600. The fazer is the one going to get me penalty points. But the zzr is way more comfortable for just cruising and driving around casually.

I don't think I could pick one over the other because it depends on what I'm in the mood for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 120 ✭✭Colm17RvB

Used to have a R1, found no problem with is as an everyday bike. Switched jobs which meant my commute went from about 40km round trip to 5km, and I found that such a short commute killed the bike.

Back on to a '03 Fazer 600 for the second time now, it does everything I need it to do, but it's a bit boring compared to the R1, but I guess my opinion of it is spoilt after owning the R1, before I got the R1 I thought it was the bees knees, now it's always nagging at me when I'm riding that R1 was so much more fun.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Basically what Wonda-Boy said.

Have you taken any out for a spin yet? That'll be the decider, it was for me. When I was looking at the R1 I took it out for a spin from a shop, came back in after an hour or so, told them I'd be buying it within the month and asked them to hold it, job done. Weary of doing it again because I may wind up buying one again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

No such thing as too much power lol

As said already you don't know what you haven't tried, I always wanted one but could never justify it coming from sports 600's, had a gsxr 750 and that was the perfect balance but got the chance to trade for a new blade and never looked back since

You have to own one at least once, it's an itch that needs scratching

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you're thinking of getting one and you have to ask, you know you want one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Four-cylinder Jap thousands are as docile or as boolah as you want. Ducatis and some other exotica do the diva a bit, but it is possible to live with most of them day-to-day on the road as well.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

If I was to get one, it would be a mid noughties R1 or Fireblade (06-07).

How do these bikes compare?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If I was to get one, it would be a mid noughties R1 or Fireblade (06-07).

How do these bikes compare?

R1 is a lot more comfortable than the blade.
    My brother has an R1 and i had a 05 blade which is a cracker of a bike.
    It handles everything so well,some say too well as its very forgiving.

Ive had older blades and they would throw you over the handlebars in a second.
    The newer blade never feels like that even hitting bumps or if the back steps out coming out of a roundabout or something, it always straightens it self out.

It also has an electronic steering damper which is great and you don't even notice it working but it does.

Seating positon is a way more racey than the R1 and take a couple of weeks to get used to.
    As you can see, I prefer the Blade but thats just me so you really should test them out first as both are very good bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Never owned an out and out 1000cc sport bike but the 1046cc sports tourer I have I use almost daily.
    3km commute to work (i'm a lazy git when not on the footy pitch), quick spins in the mountains, long motorway stretches(8+ hours to the Netherlands and then back again over 3 days) or weekends away 2 up. It handles everything I throw at it whether I'm going easy or feel like opening her up.

Feels slightly heavier in the mountains then my old 300cc sports bike but then again almost anything would! Dunno if this helps at all but as others have said, only way to know if it's for you is to try one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Exactly what I was going to say

The 600 will do 70 mph in first gear and the 1000 100+ how fast are you planning on riding.

You dont need to get past 3rd on most trips on either. From riding both you notice it more in first gear imo.
    batman_oh wrote: »

They are more pleasant on the road than smaller sportsbikes as you don't need to ring the arse off it

Dont really understand this, you dont need to ring the arse off a 600 to be doing twice the limit in most places.
    I would describe the 1k as smoother if anything.

• Advertisement

The 600 will do 70 mph in first gear and the 1000 100+ how fast are you planning on riding.

You dont need to get past 3rd on most trips on either. From riding both you notice it more in first gear imo.

Dont really understand this, you dont need to ring the arse off a 600 to be doing twice the limit in most places.
    I would describe the 1k as smoother if anything.

That's just for your personal use. For me a 600 has no torque and needs to be in the top end of the power range in the right gear to get really strong drive. A 1000 has it everywhere in comparison. It's not about the speed limit - it's about functional acceleration and what I'm personally looking for. I have owned plenty of 600s too and owned an Aprilia RS250, and RVF400 and still prefer my slower than a 600 sportsbike KTM 990 to any litre bike.
    You are happy with the 600 for road use - that doesn't mean it applies to everybody!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

batman_oh wrote: »
    That's just for your personal use. For me a 600 has no torque and needs to be in the top end of the power range in the right gear to get really strong drive. A 1000 has it everywhere in comparison. It's not about the speed limit - it's about functional acceleration and what I'm personally looking for. I have owned plenty of 600s too and owned an Aprilia RS250, and RVF400 and still prefer my slower than a 600 sportsbike KTM 990 to any litre bike.
    You are happy with the 600 for road use - that doesn't mean it applies to everybody!

Functional acceleration?

Whatever about the rest of your post. There isnt a 600 made that couldnt 'functionally' accelerate off the lights or around traffic with ease.

A 600 sports bike will pull in every single gear at every rpm faster than pretty much anything else on the road bar obviously a 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

I think what he means is rather than tap dancing up and down the gears, on a thou you just wind the throttle, doesn't matter what gear you are in you just ride the torque

listermint wrote: »
    Functional acceleration?

Whatever about the rest of your post. There isnt a 600 made that couldnt 'functionally' accelerate off the lights or around traffic with ease.

Off the lights - great measure of what I'm talking about. But thanks for the amazing input. If I was an 18 year old racing cars that might matter.
    You both missed the bit where I twice mentioned I prefer my Ktm - which is slower than a sports 600 in a straight line. A drag race is the last thing I'm interested in

A 600 sports bike will pull in every single gear at every rpm faster than pretty much anything else on the road bar obviously a 1000.

Hence why I prefer the 1000. You just verified what I said?
    You seem to have some issue because you have a 600 and have taken offence because I don't like them on the road?
    I didn't attack your choice - I expressed my opinion. But continue the campaign to prove me wrong to myself

Functional acceleration?

Acceleration out of corners when you already have speed up. Nice to have the power there rather than search for gears.
    It's personal preference.
    I'd go for the 1000cc myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Functional acceleration?

A 600 needs more Gearbox Bagpipes than a 1,000, particularly a 1l+ V-twin. While we're on the subject, and just to throw a spanner in the works, a Harley-Davidson big-twin will out-drag a Fireblade or R1 out to a hundred feet or so. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Having only ridden metric bikes that’s the first thing I noticed about my Harley, it pulls like a freight train, no need to down shift :)

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it's a Harley, I'd rather walk :pac:

Advertisement