Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

1000cc sportbikes on the road

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

That’s what I used to think, until I rode one. Not sure about Ireland but in the states Harley has open house ride events. A lorry with every bike Harley makes arrives at the local dealer and you can take them on extended rides.

I never in a million years thought I would own one; they have come a long way since the old days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

jimgoose wrote: »
    A 600 needs more Gearbox Bagpipes than a 1,000, particularly a 1l+ V-twin. While we're on the subject, and just to throw a spanner in the works, a Harley-Davidson big-twin will out-drag a Fireblade or R1 out to a hundred feet or so. :D

A standard HD would struggle I'd say :p There are some vids of this but they're open to debate and certainly aren't standard.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bladespin wrote: »
    A standard HD would struggle I'd say :p There are some vids of this but they're open to debate and certainly aren't standard.

This is not altogether fool, m'lud - if you have a look at a standard big-twin torque curve you'll notice that it starts near it's peak value at about 2,000 RPM and stays there before trailing off near the redline at 5,500 RPM or so. Four-cylinder howlers start out producing much less torque and hit the peak much later in the rev-range. When they get going they bugger completely off of course, but the HD can do damage from a standing-start out to maybe a couple of hundred feet, mainly because it's easier for it to get more power down when moving off without lighting up/flipping over.

This is not altogether fool, m'lud - if you have a look at a standard big-twin torque curve you'll notice that it starts near it's peak value at about 2,000 RPM and stays there before trailing off near the redline at 5,500 RPM or so. Four-cylinder howlers start out producing much less torque and hit the peak much later in the rev-range. When they get going they bugger completely off of course, but the HD can do damage from a standing-start out to maybe a couple of hundred feet.

Yes, I'm very familiar with torque ramps for the HDs (I'm assuming it's the 1340+, V Rod size we're talking about), but no, the weight will more than counteract this, in standard form anyway.
    The old HD eating the Fireblade is an urban myth tbh.

Hildo's unit was anything but standard and the FB pilot came in for some fierce criticism. ;) That said they are to be respected, a slow reaction time would be punished.

bladespin wrote: »
    Yes, I'm very familiar with torque ramps for the HDs (I'm assuming it's the 1340+, V Rod size we're talking about), but no, the weight will more than counteract this, in standard form anyway.
    The old HD eating the Fireblade is an urban myth tbh.

Hildo's unit was anything but standard and the FB pilot came in for some fierce criticism. ;) That said they are to be respected, a slow reaction time would be punished.

Oh old Hildo had some sort of Screamin' Eagle studded-arseless-chaps setup without a shadow of a doubt. A good point well-made though, I thought. :pac:

• Advertisement

Oh old Hildo had some sort of Screamin' Eagle studded-arseless-chaps setup without a shadow of a doubt. A good point well-made though, I thought. :pac:

The beard prolly slowed him down a bit too, not so areodynamic.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

There's a famous video of a CBR600rr easily out dragging a police Harley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

batman_oh wrote: »
    Off the lights - great measure of what I'm talking about. But thanks for the amazing input. If I was an 18 year old racing cars that might matter.
    You both missed the bit where I twice mentioned I prefer my Ktm - which is slower than a sports 600 in a straight line. A drag race is the last thing I'm interested in

Thanks for acutely ignoring part of my post about navigating traffic (over taking) in order to back up your silly terminology 'Funcitonal acceleration' which you quite clearly made up.

And other real points to make. I dont see anyone on here claiming 1000CC bikes dont have the grunt to go to the party but your nonsense about a 600 not having enough to what was it 'functionally accelerate' is complete pony talk and belongs with the knobs than chat with you at the petrol station when your not in the mood to talk to someone who claims to be a biker.

Cienciano wrote: »
    Acceleration out of corners when you already have speed up. Nice to have the power there rather than search for gears.
    It's personal preference.
    I'd go for the 1000cc myself
    A 600 needs more Gearbox Bagpipes than a 1,000, particularly a 1l+ V-twin. While we're on the subject, and just to throw a spanner in the works, a Harley-Davidson big-twin will out-drag a Fireblade or R1 out to a hundred feet or so. :D

I took issue with his terminology, I didnt claim a 600 would out do a 1000.

The made up terminology was inaccurate.

And drag race like an 18 year old ? Where did he get that from. Slur to back up the claim that a 600 cant handle day to day (as its designed to)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

jesus christ on a motorcycle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

It's obv a touchy subject

Caught me on a grumpy day :(:(

listermint wrote: »
    I took issue with his terminology, I didnt claim a 600 would out do a 1000.

The made up terminology was inaccurate.

And drag race like an 18 year old ? Where did he get that from. Slur to back up the claim that a 600 cant handle day to day (as its designed to)

I know what he's getting at by "functional acceleration", and I agree with him.

I know what he's getting at by "functional acceleration", and I agree with him.

So do i but its application to commuting isnt really truthful hence why i took issue with it.

I mean im not picking at his choice of 1000cc over 600cc, but it was inferred and implied that a 600 doesnt have 'functional acceleration' for commuting.

Thats horse.. whichever way you paint it.

listermint wrote: »
    So do i but its application to commuting isnt really truthful hence why i took issue with it...

Ah yeah - where I'm at with this is I want my F1-esque acceleration in all the gears at all revs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just as a side note....
    Don't believe everything you see on your rev counter.
    Like speedometers, they are usually exaggerated.
    Apparently Yamaha are the biggest culprits for doing this.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

2006 R6 tachometer had a 17,500 redline, was only 15,800 in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

blade1 wrote: »
    Just as a side note....
    Don't believe everything you see on your rev counter.
    Like speedometers, they are usually exaggerated.
    Apparently Yamaha are the biggest culprits for doing this.
    Can I use this as a defence with my speeding penalty points? :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Can I use this as a defence with my speeding penalty points? :D:p

You can but best defence is don't get caught in the first place!:pac:

Advertisement