Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Waterford City

Options
  • 18-02-2016 6:34pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I know some would say "what's wrong with that? There's a refugee there who raped a local woman. This week's News and Star paper has on the front page "Plaza rapist should leave the country". I mentioned in a thread for local politics, in only one line as most on that forum would know about the case. I didn't mean to make a broad or vague statement about refugees. Captain Havoc banned me forever. That's unfair as I've never been banned before from that forum. The moderator wasn't aware of the case and he shouted "racist". He said I was implying that refugees are raping Irish women which indeed some are. Taking into account this explanation will someone here overturn/reduce this ban please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

As per the first step in this process - please try & resolve this with the mod via PM. If you both cannot come to agreement - post back here & a CMod will look into it further.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

I've already emailed that mod several times. His final reply was "Your language was too broad and was of a racist sentiment. I will not be changing my mind, you must go to the dispute resolution forum to get your ban overturned.".

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Thanks for confirming that. A CMod will look into this soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Hi fiachr_a,

Myself or Gaspode will look into this for you. Could you please forward all the PMs you exchanged with the mod onto me? Thanks.

I forwarded 4 messages now to the moderators here. A joke I get banned for mentioning a refugee raped a woman yet that town protected a paedophile for 30 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi,
    I've looked through the post and the pms involved.
    The post:
    In my opinion a ban was entirely justified as the post, apart from being off-topic, does read as though it is intentionally racist. I'm pretty sure you know why it's racist, and many of the posters on that thread copped on to you quick enough, saving me the job of explaining it further.
    Looking at your profile, it seems your posting style in the past does you no favours as your posts have a history of being called out for racism.
    I can understand then how the moderator involved came to the decision that was made.

The PMs:
    You sent a number of pms but made no case other than to claim that there was a rape case in Waterford reported in the news, so therefore your post was not racist. However, you made no reference to that case in your post, you made a broad generalised statement instead including all refugees rather than one specific case.
    You didn't make a great case to the mod via pms. The idea of the first step in the process (pms to the mod) is to actually discuss the issue not just entrench yourself by repeatedly arguing your side. A bit of compromise may have seen things move a bit.

I cant see any way that a ban should not have been issued in this case, so I'm upholding it.

I did try and converse with that mod but he stopped replying to my messages and told me to got to this forum.
    The thread was for local politics and my post was relevant to this as it was in the recent news yet none of the candidates were mentioning this case. It wasn't off topic.
    I did make a reference to that case in my post. It was vague because everyone on that forum would be aware of it already.
    I request an admin investigation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ok an admin will look into this.
    I strongly suggest that you try to get you facts straight first though - your post most definitely does not refer to an individual case.

It most certainly does. Everyone on that forum knew who I was talking about. It was said it in a vague way as it didn't need more detail for that thread. Every 2016 Candidate for Waterford would know what I meant if I stopped them on the hustings and asked "What have you got to say about refugees raping Waterford women?" They would know the case I meant. If I asked them "What have you got to say about businessmen molesting Waterford kids?" they would also know what I was on about. They only banned me because I question the need for a local university on other threads, any excuse will do. Racist, gotcha!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'll look into this and come back to you shortly.

• Advertisement

OK - ban stands.

"Everyone on the forum knew who I was talking about" - frankly doesn't cut it.
    Your post was clearly across the line and the mod was spot on in actioning it.

I've also had a look though at some of your posts and frankly in the two years you've been here you have racked up frankly a pretty poor record of infractions and bans.
    In reviewing your posts I came across a number of other posts that are frankly distasteful and amount to hate speech, as a result I am upgrading the ban on this specific forum to a 1 week site wide ban.

Might I strongly suggest that if you wish to continue to contribute to the forums here where you still have access you change your posting style immediately.

I'll apply that shortly to allow you time to review but to be blunt fiachra_a - what you are posting is not on, whether you are trying to be funny or really believe some of your posts, Boards will not be the site for host such drivel.

Taltos

I've made over 1000 posts on this site. How many of those got me temporary a ban or infraction? Six, I think. That's it. The previous bans were for going on threads that I shouldn't have gone on without realising it. Then I obeyed the ban by staying off those threads. Give me other examples of what I've posted over the last two years that's "not on"? What % of all my posts deserved a ban/infraction? Less than 1%. There's something else going on. Show me a post I made that was intentionally "hate speech"? Mentioning a refugee raping a local woman on a local politics thread is hardly that. It could have been worded better but doesn't deserve this. I do believe my post. It was in the papers and news. It did actually happen and I've explained it by forwarding a link to the other mod. Why am I banned for badly writing/mentioning something that was in the news? Also, why am I banned from the Waterford City forum but not the Waterford County one. That's a bit daft.

DRP closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement