Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

very slow. need help. think its a virus.

• 18-02-2016 7:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

My laptop is going very very slow then not to bad then repeating going very slow again. My memory isn't that full and I'm thinking its a virus or other.

Can anyone recommend me how I can fix this. Its actually doing my head in and its at a time when I'm trying to build my website with wix and learn how to host it on the internet!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭bside29

I think it will also help to eliminate the unwated programs first to free up space. These unwanted malwares eats a lot of memory on a PC. Unwanted progs such as MyPCBackup, Wajam etc,. Make sure to terminate them first via Task Manager.

Plus ran malwarebytes too by the way. Also, it will be better to uninstall the unwanted programs if you are on Safe mode with networking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭duckcfc

jsa112 wrote: »

What do you mean run dds and post its logs?

bside29 wrote: »
    I think it will also help to eliminate the unwated programs first to free up space. These unwanted malwares eats a lot of memory on a PC. Unwanted progs such as MyPCBackup, Wajam etc,. Make sure to terminate them first via Task Manager.

Where do I even start?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

duckcfc wrote: »
    Where do I even start?

First off you dont know what is wrong dont jump to conclusion its Malware - it could be but it also could be something else.

Dont use your PC for banking etc until your are sure

I assume you are using windows

Download ccleaner - from here run it with no other programs open it will clean a lot of crap off the pc which slows it down

On the left hand side of the Ccleaner menu you will see
    Cleaner
    Registry
    Tools

Run both the cleaner and the registry

Then go into tools hit startup this will show you which programs start when your pc does - a big resource hog considering you wont use most everytime you turn on the machine

You can also do this by hitting ctrl+r and typing msconfig into the run box
    then going to startup when the MSconfig pop up

Slight warning turning of anything should not damage your pc directly but some programs will be required to start with your pc always e.g. Anti-virus
    so don't turn those progs of

If you post a pic of your start up in msconfig or ccleaner ill give you some advice.

Other questions to ask:

What anti-Virus are you running and is it updated !!!

What operating system have you

What ram and processor are you using

When you say its slowing down is there a common factor e.g. always when i open word. or are you doing something really intensive like photo editing

Its ok to say its random by the way that can happen too

If you still think malware down load malware bytes and install it then scan the machine. Malware bytes is pretty good and its free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

DDS is a program in the link that will tell us what could be causing your PC to slow down

You run it, it gives logs with information, we look at them and see if we can find a solution

I agree that virus or malware is not always the case. You can have a PC Tune up first by doing these detailed instructions I prepared:

1. Open msconfig
    2. Disable all unused program under "start up" and "services" tab. (for "services tab", hide all microsoft services then disable all unused program)
    3. Go to "system properties" and look for "Advanced system settings".
    4. Click the "settings" under "Advanced tab" and choose "Adjust for best performance". Click apply and ok.
    5. On the same window under Performance Options, click "Advanced"tab.
    5. Under Performance Options "Advanced" tab, click the "Change..." button for Virtual Memory.
    6. Under Virtual Memory uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers" and choose "Custom size"
    7. Under the Custom size put the Recommended size for Initial size (MB) edit box and Maximum size (MB) edit box that is located down below of the said settings. Ex: 3070 MB
    (Initial size must be the same with Maximum size.) Click ok and skip the restart request/reboot.
    8. Run Ccleaner
    9. Download and run the latest ADWCleaner. "http:/tiny.cc/adawareav"
    10. reopen msconfig. Go to "Boot" tab and change the time out from 30 seconds to 3 seconds.
    11. Open Task Manager, go to "Processes" right click on "explorer.exe" and change the set priority to "Realtime".

After doing all of the steps above, you can now run your Anti Virus program and start Defragging you system.

murphk wrote: »
    First off you dont know what is wrong dont jump to conclusion its Malware - it could be but it also could be something else.

Download ccleaner - from here run it with no other programs open it will clean a lot of crap off the pc which slows it down

Cleaner
    Registry
    Tools

Then go into tools hit startup this will show you which programs start when your pc does - a big resource hog considering you wont use most everytime you turn on the machine

Slight warning turning of anything should not damage your pc directly but some programs will be required to start with your pc always e.g. Anti-virus

If you post a pic of your start up in msconfig or ccleaner ill give you some advice.

Other questions to ask:

When you say its slowing down is there a common factor e.g. always when i open word. or are you doing something really intensive like photo editing

If you still think malware down load malware bytes and install it then scan the machine. Malware bytes is pretty good and its free
    I agree that virus or malware is not always the case. You can have a PC Tune up first by doing these detailed instructions I prepared:

1. Open msconfig
    2. Disable all unused program under "start up" and "services" tab. (for "services tab", hide all microsoft services then disable all unused program)
    3. Go to "system properties" and look for "Advanced system settings".
    4. Click the "settings" under "Advanced tab" and choose "Adjust for best performance". Click apply and ok.
    5. On the same window under Performance Options, click "Advanced"tab.
    5. Under Performance Options "Advanced" tab, click the "Change..." button for Virtual Memory.
    6. Under Virtual Memory uncheck the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drivers" and choose "Custom size"
    7. Under the Custom size put the Recommended size for Initial size (MB) edit box and Maximum size (MB) edit box that is located down below of the said settings. Ex: 3070 MB
    (Initial size must be the same with Maximum size.) Click ok and skip the restart request/reboot.
    8. Run Ccleaner
    9. Download and run the latest ADWCleaner. "http:/tiny.cc/adawareav"
    10. reopen msconfig. Go to "Boot" tab and change the time out from 30 seconds to 3 seconds.
    11. Open Task Manager, go to "Processes" right click on "explorer.exe" and change the set priority to "Realtime".

After doing all of the steps above, you can now run your Anti Virus program and start Defragging you system.

This is like reading Chinese to me. Is there any videos I could watch of how you mean.

I run malware bytes anti malware but it's not seemly working. It's as bad as ever now and it's driving me insane.

Cleaner
    Registry
    Tools

Other questions to ask:

When you say its slowing down is there a common factor e.g. always when i open word. or are you doing something really intensive
    like photo editing

What's an operating system?

Haven't run an anti virus in a while, I don't know any free ones and was told if I install an antivirus, it could block other anti viruses and make the computer slow. There's a Mcafee icon on computer but think that needs paid for!

When I say slow, for example when I click stuff it takes ages to go to that page. For example, if I'm on gumtree and need to go to a page, I click the next page and it takes 30s to a min to take me there. Same with pics, when I click next pic, 30 secs or more to get me there.

What is a ram and processer?

• Advertisement

Cleaner
    Registry
    Tools

'

Nowhere can I see where it says cleaner, registry or tools! There's a cleaner professional free trial, is that it?

Based on your questions, I assume you will not be able to follow any technical steps we provide here. Even if we want to help, the solution will not work since the execution of these will all depend on you. You will have to research on google how the particular step is done if you are not familiar with it. When we say this step (ping on command prompt for example), just google how to do that, when you say what's an OS, instead of typing on this thread the question "what's an Operating System", why not type the question on Google? Explanation about it will appear on the results instantly. This way, you will be able to answer our questions instead of sending back the same question. (It will also save time)

OS by the way is the operating system such as Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10.

If you still need help, I suggest you call technical support for your computer or try Geek Squad online.

At this point, I have already provided the necessary technical steps, it is just up to you how to do them.

Nowhere can I see where it says cleaner, registry or tools! There's a cleaner professional free trial, is that it?

Download it from there

Based on your questions, I assume you will not be able to follow any technical steps we provide here. Even if we want to help, the solution will not work since the execution of these will all depend on you. You will have to research on google how the particular step is done if you are not familiar with it. When we say this step (ping on command prompt for example), just google how to do that, when you say what's an OS, instead of typing on this thread the question "what's an Operating System", why not type the question on Google? Explanation about it will appear on the results instantly. This way, you will be able to answer our questions instead of sending back the same question. (It will also save time)

OS by the way is the operating system such as Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 or 10.

If you still need help, I suggest you call technical support for your computer or try Geek Squad online.

At this point, I have already provided the necessary technical steps, it is just up to you how to do them.

I asked google what a ram is and here is its response- an uncastrated male sheep!

This is going to be fun trying to work this all out thought ill stick at it an see how i get on. Hopefully ill work it out by the years out lol

"murphk, it said this once i went to runn the cleaner- this system will permanently delete files from your system. Once i seen this i canceled itbecause i was afraid of it deleting important business stuff i need and pics etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

"murphk, it said this once i went to runn the cleaner- this system will permanently delete files from your system. Once i seen this i canceled itbecause i was afraid of it deleting important business stuff i need and pics etc...

It's only going for temporary unused files, not your pictures or documents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Install teamviewer (it's free) - http://www.teamviewer.com/en/

And give me your teamviewer ID and I will log on to your machine and run a few of the basics for you if you want. Pm me if you want.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

Fieldog wrote: »

SO if i run this, all my pics and documents will be safe! Anytime ive ran something like things years previous, its never once mentioned it will delete files

Fieldog wrote: »

Here's what its saying.

IMG_20160302_180607009_HDR.jpg

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Install teamviewer (it's free) - http://www.teamviewer.com/en/

And give me your teamviewer ID and I will log on to your machine and run a few of the basics for you if you want. Pm me if you want.

Doesnt that give you access to my computer, everything in it! If so, theres no chance because next ill be seeing pics of me and the misses plastererd all over the internet with me balls in her mouth, lol

• Advertisement

Here's what its saying.

IMG_20160302_180607009_HDR.jpg

Click yes on that. It won't be deleting your business files etc. Just unnecessary junk essentially.

Doesnt that give you access to my computer, everything in it! If so, theres no chance because next ill be seeing pics of me and the misses plastererd all over the internet with me balls in her mouth, lol

It would but you would have to approve the connection, be able to see what I'm doing and boot me if I was to go looking through the pics of your wife! And when finished. That's fair enough though, just trying to help!

Click yes on that. It won't be deleting your business files etc. Just unnecessary junk essentially.

ll take your word for it but if it deletes all my pics,info, ill be coming looking you, tieing ya up and tickling your feet untill you figer out a way of retrieving them for me frostyjim ;)

It would but you would have to approve the connection, be able to see what I'm doing and boot me if I was to go looking through the pics of your wife! And when finished. That's fair enough though, just trying to help!

I appreciate you wanting to help with this method but sure jimmy savelle was also looking to help others and we all know how that pammed out lol. I think ill stick to trying to do it myself with the info from on here rather than letting someone get into my computer. For all i know, you could be sitting on the bahamas this time next week at my expense but thats again for trying to help ;)

ll take your word for it but if it deletes all my pics,info, ill be coming looking you, tieing ya up and tickling your feet untill you figer out a way of retrieving them for me frostyjim ;)

If you have mcafee I would recommend uninstalling and replacing it with either the built into windows 10 windows security essentials or avast free.

Has your PC only slowed down since you upgraded to windows10? As it autodownloads all updates now in the background it can take a toll on performance.

IMG_20160302_182648593.jpg

IMG_20160302_182553518.jpg

Its saying its going to delete office 2010. I have invoices been saved and sent from office 2010, will this wipe these too ?

If you have mcafee I would recommend uninstalling and replacing it with either the built into windows 10 windows security essentials or avast free.

Has your PC only slowed down since you upgraded to windows10? As it autodownloads all updates now in the background it can take a toll on performance.

It was slowish before windows 10 but worse since it.

IMG_20160302_182648593.jpg

IMG_20160302_182553518.jpg

Its saying its going to delete office 2010. I have invoices been saved and sent from office 2010, will this wipe these too ?
    Yes, its not going to delete any of your docs or office.

Yes, its not going to delete any of your docs or office.

Run the ccleaner and its no different! It finished, it deleted what needed to be deleted but still no difference. Sounds like there's something running in background thou.

A friend of mine installed something in my computer before and it used to clean things up but its disappeared. It used to sort any problems I've had before but can't for the life of me remember what its called. All I know is it was an anti virus of some sort and it had something red on its logo.

• Advertisement

Run the ccleaner and its no different! It finished, it deleted what needed to be deleted but still no difference. Sounds like there's something running in background thou.

A friend of mine installed something in my computer before and it used to clean things up but its disappeared. It used to sort any problems I've had before but can't for the life of me remember what its called. All I know is it was an anti virus of some sort and it had something red on its logo.
    Few things you could do is

Open task manager and see what exe is using most resources

See if windows update is currently downloading anything

See if temporally disabling McAfee speeds up your PC at all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Just wondering... could it be that the OP's computer is just over-heating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

I asked google what a ram is and here is its response- an uncastrated male sheep!

google what the difference is between a female and male plug :)

thank me later....

New Home wrote: »
    Just wondering... could it be that the OP's computer is just over-heating?

Its a possibility but OP would prob have mentioned the Fans going mad

@OP did you also run the Reg cleaner ?
    It will also warn you about deleting files and ask you to back up registry I would usually not do this but in this case i would suggest that you do back it up - just save it to a location you will remember E.g you documents folder and write that down !!!

ok Next step

open msconfig - type msconfig into start menu and then click icon

lHYD7J.png

You will see this pop up

74K1DG.png

Click the startup tab

uo2rLL.png

This controls which programs turn on when you boot up windows, but you dont need them on they will start when you click on the icons, nothing on the list is really vital but you will want to leave on things like anti-virus

This is mine note: i have left a good few on

Take some pics of that then upload them

Also follow this process for "task manager" and up load a image of your processes and applications

heres Mine

bHXrPQ.png
    JBrBRM.png

This is going to be fun trying to work this all out thought ill stick at it an see how i get on. Hopefully ill work it out by the years out lol

LoL

I laughed hard when i read about that male sheep!

Laptop slow again after few weeks of normal speed. Anyone know where I go from here. I've run the cc cleaner again but still slow:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 daviddwight

How do you define that it's slow? It is slow upon start up? Slow when opening a program? Or slow when browsing? Let me know maybe I can help.

Advertisement