Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning smell

Options
  • 18-02-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Recently i have started noticing a slight burning smell when i use my computer for a long period of time(couple of hours) but it is not normally under heavy use, just things like youtube and facebook. All my tempetures seem to be low and when i open up the case none of the components are that hot.

I cant pinpoint the smell but it is possible it is the power bar im using but it too is completly cool.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Take out the PSU and try it with another one would be my first suggestion.

Obviously dont leave the PC unattended now whilst its on. And be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

if it is the psu and it fails will it bring any other components with it?

Could very easily if i'm not mistaken, although i'm no expert, i do believe it can at least fry your mobo.

Can you see smoke at all? Does it smell like plastic or glue?

There has been no smoke and im not sure what burnt glue smells like, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If all temps read good theres an ok chance its the PSU as you can't read its sensors(normally).

Do not open the PSU.

PSU failure is the one thing that can take down the entire rig, but that's not to say its common.

First step I'd take is to use a vacuum cleaner on the rear grill of the PSU on the outside of the case while the machine is off. PSUs tend to collect a *lot* of dust over the course of a year or two. After that if you continue to smell it its a good idea to change it in case it would go postal on you.

• Advertisement

i thought using a vacume on a pc was bad?
    And i have only had this pc since the begining of December so their shouldent be too much dust in it

You can vacuum a pc once the PC is plugged out,(you could leave it plugged in with wall switch off to earth the computer) static wont fry a pc, rather continued static charges will damage it.

Compressed air is better but both will work.

The theory is a hoovers plastic nozzle is insulated and could build up a charge then discharge it into the case via a pcb. In theory. Never had it happen or heard of happening in real life. Modern boards are really resilient. Just look at what LTT can do and still have boards post. ESD is nigh on a non issue.

Pretty sure i found the problem,
    It was my monitor. It was making a high pitched screech and its back was pretty warm. This would explain why i could not pinpoint the smell as i was looking in the wrong place.

To me this seems pretty weird, has anyone else had any problems like this?

Monitors have significant inverter, could get smelly as it failed.

Devices fail, its probably not worth a board replacement unless you're a confident repair tech. Better to replace it than to have it go up in flames.

• Advertisement
Advertisement